Trip Insurance...is this a loophole?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcpowell

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm already a DAN member and have the guardian plan.

So I'm doing the "instant quote" thing on the DAN website and if I put in the cost of the trip at $1, I can get the highest coverage for a rate of $52.

I'm not really worried about insuring the cost of my trip as I could most likely get "rain checks" for the condo, dive op, etc. I am more worried about having the medical protection plan in case of an accident, or I get sick. I would still have the baggage and sporting equipment coverage at the maximum rate of $2500.

Does anyone have experience insuring their trip this way i.e. just getting the coverage for the big stuff?

Call them. Sounds reasonable since it does not cover preexisting conditions. I think I did that for a quote once, never purchased since my health insurance is good overseas (used it for broken ribs).

I'm already a DAN member and have the guardian plan.

So I'm doing the "instant quote" thing on the DAN website and if I put in the cost of the trip at $1, I can get the highest coverage for a rate of $52.

I'm not really worried about insuring the cost of my trip as I could most likely get "rain checks" for the condo, dive op, etc. I am more worried about having the medical protection plan in case of an accident, or I get sick. I would still have the baggage and sporting equipment coverage at the maximum rate of $2500.

Does anyone have experience insuring their trip this way i.e. just getting the coverage for the big stuff?
I wold put money on the fact that if you had a claim they would not pay out because you entered fraudulent information

I have been considering the same thing. I can accept losing all costs of the trip. Unknown medical costs are the scary thing. I also feel a little funny putting in a minimal value on all the trip costs. Anybody have actual experience with this with DAN or any other travel insurance company?

You would loose your money.
If the trip costs more than $1 your committing fraud

I have been considering the same thing. I can accept losing all costs of the trip. Unknown medical costs are the scary thing. I also feel a little funny putting in a minimal value on all the trip costs. Anybody have actual experience with this with DAN or any other travel insurance company?
Yes.
I purchase trip insurance from one of several aggregators, although my first choice is Squaremouth. They all offer essentially the same products at the same cost, but I prefer the format of Squaremouth, finding them the most user friendly.
A few years ago I spoke with a representative about the very issue of assigning the cost of the trip at zero, as any other expences would be covered through other means; e.g. airline tickets through VISA, etc.
They assured me that that would be perfectly acceptable. Costs associated with travel would not be reimbursable. Medical costs would be covered.

Yes.
I purchase trip insurance from one of several aggregators, although my first choice is Squaremouth. They all offer essentially the same products at the same cost, but I prefer the format of Squaremouth, finding them the most user friendly.
A few years ago I spoke with a representative about the very issue of assigning the cost of the trip at zero, as any other expences would be covered through other means; e.g. airline tickets through VISA, etc.
They assured me that that would be perfectly acceptable. Costs associated with travel would not be reimbursable. Medical costs would be covered.
Thank you. Have you ever used the insurance?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom