Trip insurance, missing liveaboard departure due to flight issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is your process backwards? DAN is the last insurance I would consider since it is a niche product.

I claim you need to think of coverage in the following order: (YMMV)
- travel medical insurance
- trip interruption insurance
- trip cancellation insurance

. . .

I agree with your thinking about trip interruption and cancellation. So that leaves travel medical. My thinking is that the probability of having a major medical problem that is NOT related to an accident is low. The DAN insurance covers accidents, and that's why I have the top tier--repatriation back to the US, etc. For less serious medical problems, my thinking is that I am willing to play the odds of having to pay out of pocket. Maybe because you are Canadian you are accustomed to having insurance to pay for everything. As an American, I find that medical care is reasonably priced just about everywhere EXCEPT the US. A procedure that costs $10,000 in the US might cost $1,000 in the finest hospital in Bangkok. Americans are increasingly doing "medical tourism" to get treated in other countries. My US health insurance has a high deductible, so I essentially end up paying out of pocket for everything but the most major treatment anyway. If I contract some horrible disease, I'd rather get treated abroad where it's more affordable.

Again, it's about probabilities. In one of these travel insurance threads, I recall reading an anecdote about someone who became seriously ill abroad and had to pay a lot of money--a lot more than the $1,000 in my example above. So, I will admit that anything can happen. It just seems to me that if something happens that requires expensive treatment, it is much more likely to be the result of an accident than an illness. So the first insurance I consider is the DAN accident insurance.

I was there early... had flights cancelled for 3 days due to Volcano. Missed boat. And, after a long drawn out painful process with the Insurance Company, I was reimbursed for everything. There was a cap on expenses for housing and food that was understood and listed in policy. All and all it was infuriating how the insurance company treated us but in the end they paid. My advice... save everything when you are experiencing difficulties. Get letters from the airline and airport while you are there about why the flights are canceled etc. I had to send them copies of boarding passes too. All in all we sent them 16 different documents from LOB(their terms of Service wasn't enough so had to get a letter from the owner), Airport, Airline, receipts, News Articles quoting the closure and people stranded (this was the last final item that got my $$ to me). Save everything...be proactive. Every time I sent them what they needed they added something on so be prepared!

Fortunately, most of us do not get sick or injured on a dive trip or any other vacation, and I understand the reluctance to get travel insurance in addition to the DAN dive accident coverage. However, it may take just one pop up non-dive related medical emergency while overseas to put a serious dent in your life's savings. Prior to about 2015, we did not normally buy travel insurance, thinking the likelihood of a non-diving medical emergency was pretty low. However, we changed our minds about playing the percentages when one of our table mates suddenly did not show up for dinner on our cruise ship departing Cairns. He had some major, undiagnosed issue with his intestine, requiring emergency surgery, three weeks in the hospital, and an expensive return to the U.S. He did not have travel insurance, his normal medical insurance did not cover problems encountered overseas, and I have no doubt his expenses surpassed the trip insurance fee by a significant factor. All insurance is wasted money if you do not have to use it, and it would be delightful to be able to predict whether you will need it or not.

Altamira, I wouldn't be surprised if the anecdote I mentioned remembering reading was that one, if you have posted about it before. I read a number of trip insurance threads, and that story sounds familiar.

In considering the issues, one of my biggest concerns was the medical evacuation cost, rather than the medical treatment itself. Hearing about many thousand dollars helicopter trips just to get you out of there was a good incentive to have insurance for that.

I take every trip hoping that any insurance is completely and totally a waste of money, since that means nothing happened to need it.

Altamira, I wouldn't be surprised if the anecdote I mentioned remembering reading was that one, if you have posted about it before. I read a number of trip insurance threads, and that story sounds familiar.

Probably the same anecdote, as I have posted about it on a previous thread about trip insurance. Watching a table mate that we had been dining with for a lengthy period of time on a 79 day cruise suddenly wind up being hospitalized on the other side of the world made us an advocate for trip insurance. And, no we do not have a stake in any insurance businesses. That was a "light bulb" moment for us because we are pretty healthy, but certainly not bullet proof, and we had been taking foolish risks on previous trips, even knowing Medicare does not cover medical issues encountered overseas. Yes, I know it was foolish, but older and wiser now. The cost of one day in the hospital would far exceed the cost of the trip insurance.

<<79 day cruise>> that's not a cruise, that's running away from home. You look tired from the burdensome responsibilities of such traveling. Where can I send my resume for general trip/dive assistant/food tester? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom