Trip report 2-4 through 2-11-17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My fault... You are correct. I misread the post as he did state he went to his own air supply before entering the swim through. Still... I am not a fan at all of pulling air from a DM for the sake of extending a group's bottom time. Aldora may quote drift diving guidelines that the entire group descend and ascend as a group but if it means playing crazy games like sharing air to maximize group bottom time I say there is far greater risk in that practice than members of the group deploying an SMB and surfacing according to their own air consumption or DC. Screwing around with this air sharing business is asking for trouble.

you're not being asked to step in as a cub scout den mother here...relax, you're not in charge of what these folks choose to do...let it go.

My fault... You are correct. I misread the post as he did state he went to his own air supply before entering the swim through. Still... I am not a fan at all of pulling air from a DM for the sake of extending a group's bottom time. Aldora may quote drift diving guidelines that the entire group descend and ascend as a group but if it means playing crazy games like sharing air to maximize group bottom time I say there is far greater risk in that practice than members of the group deploying an SMB and surfacing according to their own air consumption or DC. Screwing around with this air sharing business is asking for trouble.

What "far greater risk" are you imagining there is to this practice? Dave has already explained that while it happens NO ONE in the group has less than 1000 psi in their tanks, including the diver on the DM's octo. Sure, if someone was actually almost out of air it would be a questionable thing to do, but should the need arise the diver can go back to their own tank and still have plenty of air for a leisurely ascent, especially when we are talking about people using 100 or 120 cf tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom