Trip report and food review!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Superglyde

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What an experience. Second time in Cozumel, first time to dive. Went from 7 -18 July and it couldn't have been better. Fantastic deal on Orbitz for a family of four, two rooms at the Villablanca and 16 dives. As I mentioned on another thread, we dove with Scubamau and they were the best. Arrived on my daughter's birthday to find Opal and crew at La Pelapita and needless to say we made immediate friends, celebrated and just had a fantastic time. Next morning did a check-out shore dive and then did the first boat dive in the afternoon. Dove with Opal and Gaby and it was wonderful. The rest of the trip we pretty much dove with Servando and Victor, just our family on the boat for the most part. Servando is absolutely a professional DM with a good eye for spotting incredible marine life from turtles to lionfish, coral shrimp to scorpion fish. Can't say enough about Servando and Victor is a riot and runs a tight ship as well as being incredibly helpful in getting us set up. Perfect. Every dive I thought was the best ever..until the next !
I have to say my favorite spots are Santa Rosa wall and Palancar Gardens, and Cedral...oh, and Columbia..and and and...!! That wall at Santa Rosa hanging off the "cliff" and looking down the abyss is just freaking hypnotic. Feels like the abyss is just beckoning you to come down, but a quick cut into the wall and into the swim thrus and coming up in another area is simply amazing.
Food...we used to live in Germany and were immersed in the culture there for ten years and so we attempted to do that in Coz. Every night was an exploration to find the next best local eatery.
Favorites in no particular order:
Otates
Pique
Wet Wendys
Chilandros (those huarches, tamales and chalupas are the best!)
Albino's for seafood...the platter is a killer
El Moro for mole
Wet Wendys
did I say Wet Wendys? Closed down each night with the visit here to meet ex-pats and other divers.
Los Seras for tacos pastor, though I was told it was dirty, it was pretty darn good..and cheap!
The church ladies on the square on Sunday evenings..yum!
And the last night, we splurged and went to Kinta's....wow, wish we went earlier in the trip so we could do it more than once. Their chile relleno is the best, and one of their signature dishes.
Transportation-we rented 4 motor scooters for 60 bucks a day from Isis. They are good people and we loved the convenience of having the scooters and taking off whenever anyone wanted. I've read all the warnings about the scooters and at first we were not going to do it. But here's my advice. Don't do it if you don't know how to ride a motorcycle/scooter. They are extremely dangerous for the novice. If you do rent them, take them out for a spin on Sunday. There is no traffic at all on Sundays and its a good day to drive around the island. Watch out for hidden stop signs in town, know the avenues that are one way and without stops so you can watch out for them as you cross them. watch out for car doors opening, and use your mirrors for other scoots that want to zoom by faster. They are a blast and convenient but only for the experienced. Most of the folks who get hurt are drunk tourists off cruise ships who never did it before.
Met tons of great folks, locals and foreigners alike as well as other Americans.
Many thanks to all those who were so friendly to us, opened their house for a visit and just provided great conversation and good advice. A shout out to Opal, Mau, Victor, (both Victors!) Eddie, Renaldo, Servando, Gaby, Carlos, Rigor, Steve, Chad, Clara, Mike and Sue, Jennifer and many many more , too many to name.
We will be back...sooner than later!
Carl(os)

Don't miss the tamales at Chilango's. We had the ones with mole, poblano, and pork. Best tamales I've ever had, and I've had a few. Have one with a huarache and jamaica or lemonade and you'll walk out full and have pesos left.

this is great info, especially on Scuba Mau and Kintos..We are set to go with them on Thursdays and any questions I may have had..you aswered.thanks again for the great advice.

denisem228,
Looks like we might see you on Thursday as we will be diving with Scuba Mau Wednesday through Sunday.

quite welcome. I forgot two more awesome places..the coffee bean, with free wireless and great coffee
and Zermatt Bakery, right next to Isis for great pastries and bread. The tuna rolls are out of this world. not at all what one would expect

Servando is absolutely a professional DM with a good eye for spotting incredible marine life from turtles to lionfish, coral shrimp to scorpion fish.(os)

Is this the same Servando who was previously with Blue Angel?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom