Trip report: Andaman Safari on the Mermaid 2.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What a great report. Just what I needed to hear. I am off to Phuket next week, and cant wait to go to the similans. Thanks for the information. Great pix too!

I did the exact same trip Feb 12-19. Mt experiences were pretty much identical to yours: Loads of fish life, mantas all over the place, beautiful hard and soft corals,great visibility, etc. It was my first experince in the indo/pacific and I have to say that it will be very difficult to go back to the Caribbean after being there. I also spent extra time in Bangkok and Phuket and have to say that the entire trip was just perfect: the absolute best time i have had on any trip. The people, food, shopping, sites, diving. Everything was just so good. I can't wait to go back. Oh and let me not forget the BEAUTIFUL beaches of Kata, Karon, and Patong. I managed to see them all when the boat finished the first leg of the journey and went back to Patong to drop off and pick up people. I got off the boat and went touring. I agree celso (my DM for the trip), wan, and anne were terrific. I would also add that the food was also fantastic and MUCH better than I expected. The only caveat I would mention is that if you want A/C that works, make sure you get one of the front cabins (which I was fortunate to have). This is unless they have addressed that issue. An all around great vacation and seeing your pics just transported back to it. Thanks.

nikyyo:
The only caveat I would mention is that if you want A/C that works, make sure you get one of the front cabins (which I was fortunate to have). This is unless they have addressed that issue.

I believe it is still true. The best cabins for A/C are actually the ones downstairs (they are also cheaper as they don't have windows!). There is only the one feed from the A/C unit so the cabins at the end of the pipe have somewhat less air pressure - and as you say they are the ones at the back upstairs. I didn't really hear anyone complaining though.

Great report Kim!

We did a similar trip last year, but on day trips from Patong! The coral and fish life in the Similans is truly outstanding!

Next time we'll definitely do a liveaboard though, and head south to Phi Phi and Hin Daeng and Muaeng. Did you see any significant damage from the tsunami??

Great pics, I really liked the leopard sharks and the mantas!

Thanks!

J.

jedah:
Did you see any significant damage from the tsunami??

We didn't see any damage to speak of. I believe that in some places there is some, but Celso our tour leader picked the dive sites that were basically OK and stayed away from areas that he knew had been more affected. The most damage from the tsunami that I saw was the sea front shops and buildings in Patong. That was definitely bad enough to give an indication of what happened - especially coupled with the news footage we all saw on television.

Excellent post! Your photos and report have got me chomping at the bit to get back down there.
I've dove the Similans 3 times in the last 3 years.
Still waiting to see the whale shark but the mantas are almost a sure thing.
I am heading back the first part of May for the yearly trip, maybe this time a whale shark will show up. They say late in the season is the best chance.

danno:
They say late in the season is the best chance.

Well, the last couple of years it sure has been. April and early May have been best. We hope the weather holds like last year, when most of May was hot and sunny. On the other hand Phuket is getting rather dry and we need rain!

Kim, hate to say it but Mermaid II saw a whaleshark at Hin Daeng this weekend along with the manta rays. I am hoping to get out there this weekend, either on Colona 6 or a day trip.

You lucky, lucky bar steward!

I'd love to get back out to the Similians - maybe next year, sigh!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom