Trip Report: Bangka / Lembeh (March 19)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snake eel with the shrimp is a good find. Love the froggies though :)

Wow , great report , thanks for sharing. And the photos are fab. Was it nice and sociable at Bastianos and did people generally eat together ?
There were so few guests at the time it's hard to say what it's going to be like at higher occupancy. The staff was very fun and friendly. There were only 2 other guests for most of my stay. Meals were served individually, but we normally ate around the same time. I think when there are more guests they will have a buffet. The bar was was still under construction, but I think it will be a lively spot to socialize and share stories from the day. It should have a great sunset view just like the restaurant.
IMG_0009.JPG

Great report and my gosh, you got some fab shots!

It's interesting to me that you think 5 days is enough at Bangka. My longest time there was 2 weeks if I recall correctly and it wasn't enough for me.

I also loved my stay at Black Sands but the stairs just about did me in. lol

Bastianos sounds very appealing. I've only stayed at Murex, which is one of the prettiest spots I've ever seen but being able to board the boat without having to wade out and climb up the back has huge appeal for me also, as does the good food. Murex is kinda hit or miss on that.

It may have been the site conditions or few divers while I was there, but the muck sites at Bangka all seemed the same. While I did not get charged extra to go out alone, it may have influenced dive site selection since Bastianos has larger boats. I did enjoy the dives on Bangka, especially the sites with more corals. I found that the sites on Lembeh all had something unique.

Bastianos has plenty of steps as well but the property isnt as spread out as BSDR. Also the stairs are spaced normally compared to BSDR (where they must have been built for a very small or very tall individual.)

Oh dear, I am well overdue for a trip back to Bunaken to see some friends and Bangka for Sauhong 1&2 and hopefully the changes aren't too huge.....but.....when did Bastianos close to have a soft opening?
Wow how time flies...I just realised my first stay on Bunaken with Froggies who are or were next to a then busy Bastianos was 12 years ago....

Why wasn't I told?

Bastianos Bangka is a 3rd location for them and it must have just opened before I got there. I found a picture of it on a facebook post and contacted them. During the soft opening they were booking beachfront aircon rooms for the price of fan rooms. The published rate for the fan rooms are comparable to other resorts on Bangka but the 24hr electricity and warm showers sealed the deal. Its a beautiful resort.

I don't particularly care for the sites that are opposite Bangka on the "mainland". The sites that excite me are around the southern point on the eastern side. For example, Sahaung is one of my worldwide favorites due it's interesting formation and great wildlife when current is kicking.

Sabora 1 and 2 and Demak used to be very lovely but I fear environmental damage, maybe even from the construction at Bastianos.

Great report.
I must say this new Bastianos resort really interests me. 24 hr electricity & AC & a pool & a beach....all things that make a dive trip with 2 young boys oh so much more bearable and enjoyable.

What is the beach like right in front of the resort?

Blue Bay Divers and Murex probably.... ok definitely... have better locations, but not having AC or 24 hr electricity is a deal breaker for me...at least for the season of life that I am right now.

I also loved BSDR. It is a stunning little resort...and oh man how good is the diving in Lembeh!! It is really special!

Are you pics on Flikr or any other location?

Bastianos is on a white sand beach and while I was there, the workers made every effort to keep it clean. Thomas, the manager sent the construction guys to patrol the beach for glass and rubbish on at least 2 of the days that I was there. The seemed to be doing a pretty good job of keeping most of the trash and construction debris contained. There is a 1m sea wall around parts of the beach.
I think Bastianos would make a good place for families. The bungalow that I stayed in would have been a bit small for an extra bed, but I think there are other room configurations available. Having the pier, 24h electricity, and aircon made Bangaka much more comfortable.

ZihfnPQCRoqwdyIZ2OkqXQ.jpg dDEkzxDPRQqLR+1XcDr8aw.jpg uTrQNk9ETPCwCyHMT8i4xA.jpg

Great report.
I must say this new Bastianos resort really interests me. 24 hr electricity & AC & a pool & a beach....all things that make a dive trip with 2 young boys oh so much more bearable and enjoyable.

What is the beach like right in front of the resort?

Blue Bay Divers and Murex probably.... ok definitely... have better locations, but not having AC or 24 hr electricity is a deal breaker for me...at least for the season of life that I am right now.

I also loved BSDR. It is a stunning little resort...and oh man how good is the diving in Lembeh!! It is really special!

Are you pics on Flikr or any other location?

I know! Air conditioning!! Too tempting

Bastianos is on a white sand beach and while I was there, the workers made every effort to keep it clean. Thomas, the manager sent the construction guys to patrol the beach for glass and rubbish on at least 2 of the days that I was there. The seemed to be doing a pretty good job of keeping most of the trash and construction debris contained. There is a 1m sea wall around parts of the beach.
I think Bastianos would make a good place for families. The bungalow that I stayed in would have been a bit small for an extra bed, but I think there are other room configurations available. Having the pier, 24h electricity, and aircon made Bangaka much more comfortable.

View attachment 521888 View attachment 521889 View attachment 521890

Sweet!! Do you have a log of the dive sites that you visited?

Thanks - It certainly does look appealing!!
I already have flicked them an email asking for their rates!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom