Trip Report -- Belize Aggressor III April 2017

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

t-mac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just returned from a week on the BA3. First time on Aggressor and I have to say I was very pleased all the way around. The boat itself, especially the dive deck, was incredibly well laid out. Single tanks that are refilled between each dive freed up so much space. Huge camera table and tank for photo jocks. Room was the standard two down and one up. We were in 3, which I think was a little bigger (as is 2) -- my poor friends in 1 lived in a dungeon (no porthole) and so I think we did very well. Also we were away from the engine, compressor and genset noise near the aft cabins.

As billed, the crew were fantastic -- attentive and helpful, but not overbearing. They always put a guide in the water, but no pressure to be herded. The raving about the quality of the food is well deserved (Yanis!).

We had a very international crowd. Seventeen on the boat (still roomy), with 3 Portuguese, 3 Brazilian, 2 Italian, 2 British, 7 American. A lot of laughing and some night dives "accidentally" missed by the no diving after a drink rule -- it was worth it.

We had a very settled week with calm seas and almost no wind, even though it was supposed to fill in the second half of the week. We headed straight out to Lighthouse and spent most of our time out there, stopping by Turneffe for Thursday and two morning dives on Friday. Overall the diving was good. The topography (nearly all wall dives) was terrific and the reef was very healthy. From my perspective, however, it was one of the least fishy and "crittery" places I've been in the Caribbean. Not sure if that's lion fish or fishermen or just my perception, but others on the boat felt the same. That said, we had more than the usual encounters with reef sharks and spotted eagle rays, which always makes for a good time. The sharks and the nassau grouper were extremely curious and must have been fed (or are being fed) by someone. We also did get to see the local spotted toadfish on Turneffe and there were lots of different and interesting blennys for my macro lens, so that was nice.

Yes, we did the blue hole. I had very low expectations that I have to admit were exceeded by a good margin. As others have said, we saw no life (a tech diver I know says there are tons of sharks starting around 150-200 ft). However, the stalactites between 125-140 ft were much more numerous and impressive than I expected. I would not go out of my way to do it again, but I would look forward to doing it again if I were in the area. As you may expect, none of the crazy stories and videos about this site come from the Aggressor. This is the only dive they controlled and they really did control it. Given the range of experience they see, I think it was appropriate.

Pretty much 5 dives a day if you want. We missed one when we did the blue hole -- spent time on Half Moon Caye in the rookery. Reminded me of the Galapagos. Only two morning dives on Friday. We, like nearly everyone else, did nitrox and I can't imagine trying to do this without. It would be very limiting.

Lastly, Belize City. I'm very open minded, but it is really hard to find much redeeming. The bright spot was the local diner called Neries. We also did a tour of Altun Ha, the local Mayan ruin, which was nice. We were not there on a cruise ship day and so we mostly had it to ourselves.

So, in sum, it was a very good trip. The only thing that was below expectations was the overall paucity of life on the reefs compared to other places -- Belize is such an iconic dive spot that I may have expected too much. Everything else met or exceeded expectations. I will definitely be doing another Aggressor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom