Trip Report Cancun (Very Very LONG)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gtxl1200

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Some of the pictures I have posted to My Gallery. I add to them everyday so check back to see the latest additions.

This is a trip report for my recent trip to Cancun, July 3rd thru the 10th. Since I went with a non diving spouse it wasn’t a complete diving trip, but I did get 8 dives in. I will break this report into two sections one on the diving and one on the hotel and Cancun experience. I will try to put all the info I can at the bottom to try and answer all of the questions I see after a trip report. So if you just want to know about the dives. Just look down a little if you want info on the dive op I used or about the hotel we stayed at then go towards the bottom. Hopefully this will make things easier on everybody.

We arrived in Cancun on Saturday July 3rd and went directly to the Tucan Cun Beach Resort this was a non diving day for me info on hotel at bottom.

Sunday Morning Dive Day 1 A disaster waiting to happen as you will soon read. I had already made all of my arrangements with Manta Divers prior to leaving for Cancun. Read all about this dive op at the bottom.
So I get up and due to the fact I had spread all of my gear in several suitcases due to weight issues I had to gather it all up and put it in one bag and headed off to the bus stop. Rather early since I had know idea exactly where the dive shop was. So I’m on the bus and enjoying the sites of the strip when it occurred to me that I had left my C-Card at the hotel. That one suitcase I forgot to check on dive gear. Wow not good. I arrive at the dive shop before it even opens So I’m thinking do I get back on the bus or just explain and maybe they will let me dive as long as I bring the card to them the next day. As I’m sitting and getting upset stomach thinking about what I should do, a nice young American man shows up and opens the shop I tell him the situation and he said not a problem Cool I say No problem I’m in Jamaica not Mexico. So this fella which I later find out his name is Fred and I have a nice chat while he gets his work done getting tanks and such for the morning dives. Well 15 minutes or so later two other employees show up and they are natives to Mexico. They start having a chat with Fred in Spanish and this chat is pretty intense. I don’t know Spanish but I do know hand signals and noises and I could figure out from the combination of the two there was some problems with the boat. I figured it had either sunk or blew up or some revolutionist had stolen it under gunfire. Either way it wasn’t looking good. During this discussion John and Mimi the owners of Manta Ray show up and they get the run down and fill me in. The boat just wont start is all. Well seems simple enough. Until they tell me that it is Sunday and the mechanic is at home and in bed So they are going to send a taxi to his house and get him out of bed and bring him to get it fixed. So they send the other divers that had showed up by this time and myself back on the bus and told us to come back at 1:00 pm So That actually worked out ok because I was able to get my C-Card now. Arrived back at 1:00pm and here are the dives.

Dive 1 Punta Negro
Max depth: 49fsw
Bottom time:34 min
Water temp 83deg Fahrenheit
Vis: 60 to 70 FT.
There were 5 divers total on this trip.
My dive buddy was a nice lady originally from Mexico but has lived in the U.S. now for 12 years or better. She hardly even had an accent. She told me she hasn’t dove in a year but I wouldn’t have noticed if she didn’t tell me she had excellent buoyancy control and trim in the water a very good diver. There wasn’t much To see on this dive not much reef color did see some marine life but not much to write home about.
Now to add to the problems from earlier in the day. The dive Master who’s name is Leif pronounced life. Who is from Germany Told us that we were going to enter the water get down and just do a drift dive. 40 minutes or 700 psi what ever came first. The first one to 700 the whole group comes up. So that is what my dive buddy and myself and another diver who was from Holland which this was his first dive since getting certified the day before did. We go in the current and are enjoying a nice relaxing dive and of course watching the new guy Yo-Yo up and down. Well about 15 minutes into the dive I hear a Tank banger from way off in the distance. I look around and see Leif waving, he is a good 50 to 60 feet away. After a good attempt at fighting the current to get to his location and getting nowhere us three again just turn into the current and continue our dive. At the Surface the German in Leif was coming out, he was HOT!! So a long lecture on following the dive master and how the new guy was supposed to buddy up with leif not us Was our surface interval. I told him that I like to relax on my dives and not fight a strong current just to shorten the dive and see a fish that will probably be one just like it up ahead. His reply was what do I know more about this reef then him. I said none but I’m not going to swim around to use up air so you can be done for the day. That didn’t go over very well.
Also while re-boarding the boat which is a task look at the bottom for specifics of the boat. I managed to gash my leg pretty good. It swelled up and was Bleeding quite good. Ironically you could almost see the other divers with a grin and eventually it was said why. We are going to see a shark for sure next dive we have live blood here. They were excited about my demise. This day has been bad from the start.

Dive 2 punishment dive. This is what my buddy and I and another diver called it. this other diver was from Texas and he would be my buddy the rest of the week as his wife wasn’t going to dive the next couple of days.
Chinolte Reef.
Max depth: 24ft
Water temp: 85 deg F
Bottom time: 40min
Vis: 60to70ft.
We called this the punishment dive for it was worse then the first dive it was basically just off the point of Cancun it is where all the tourist ops take the snorkelers and the like it was mostly sand. We did see a Green Moray Eel and of course my camera’s memory Card was full so no Pics of the EEL. Once again a little disappointing dive but we were being punished. I can say though we were in a nice bomber squadron V formation with Leif leading for the entire dive. This whole day has been a disaster waiting to happen.

A Side note about my feelings on Guided Timed Dives I know Mexico has Laws and regulations about having a Dive master in the water but I had my computer with me. What was the point of buddying us up if we all surfaced at the same time. Why should the whole group suffer if there is a HOOVER in the group. I think the dive master should be there to keep an eye on things or buddy up with the single diver I don’t like to be on a time limit or come up as a group with a half a tank of air left.

Dive Day Two
This morning the boat was going to be full 10 divers and 2 dive masters my group was with a nice Fellow named Carlos.

Dive one
The Wreck of the C 58 Anaya. This is an old Navy mine sweeper I wasn’t sure if it was a U.S. Navy or Mexican Navy ship does mexico even have a Navy???? This Wreck has only been down a couple of Years Sunk to form an artificial reef. There Were Tons of Schools of Fish and three or Four of the Biggest Barracudas I have ever seen hanging out in the distance waiting for a meal to swim by. There is some coral and sponge Growth starting on the wreck. Some Penetration is done during this dive but not deep into the ship where you have to be Wreck certified To do it if you get a chance this isn’t a bad Dive.

Max Depth: 80fsw
Bottom Time: 27 minutes
Water Temp: 81 deg. F

Dive 4
Punta Cancun Reef
Max Depth:50 fsw
Bottom Time:34 min.
Water Temp: 83 deg F
Same as most of the reef dives. The current was ripping here today even the dive master commented on how fast the current was moving. Did see a nice size Turtle having lunch on some sponge.

Dive Day 3 Tuesday
Dive 5
Sam Tarimbo (sp)
Max Depth: 52 fsw
Bottom Time: 30 min.
Water Temp 82 deg F

Dive 6
Octopus
Max Depth: 43 fsw
Bottom Time: 35 min.
Water Temp: 83 deg F

Wednesday non diving day did some tourist stuff with non diving wife more at bottom.

Thursday Dive Day 4
Dive 7
El tunnel
This one had some Cool Swim thrus. The usual marine life and some other Usual dive scenes My buddy this Day was a little different. He was Attached to my hip the whole time. Sometimes almost on top of me. Now I live in Michigan where most of my diving is done in 20 to 30 foot of Vis or less and we dive elbow to elbow out of necessity. To be able to keep an eye on each other and not to lose each other but here with 80 foot vis this isn’t quite necessary. I would swoop down to get a macro shot with the camera and come back up and this guy would be right on top of me. So close to me at times the current would run him right into me. I was a little annoyed by this at times and I think it affected my diving somewhat on this dive. When we ascended and after our safety stop I gave him the OK sign to finish going up since I had my computer he shot up like a Rocket So I grab his tank and pulled him back down and held him to make a slow ascent. When we surfaced I told him why I grabbed him and he just said Ok sorry. Obviously just a vacation diver. I know it was only the last 15 feet but next time he may be diving with some one else without a computer and shoot up like a missle from 60 or more feet and seriously hurt himself. I told him that he didn’t have to apologize to me he needed to say he was sorry to himself because he needs to think cause you could hurt yourself someday shooting to the surface.
Max Depth: 51 fsw
Bottom Time: 42 min.
Water Temp82 deg F

Dive 8
Not sure what the Spanish name was but the dive master called it the Horse shoe in English.
Max Depth: 51 fsw
Bottom Time: 39 min.
Water Temp: 82 deg F

This was too long so I had to break it up into two parts this is part two.

Friday Didn’t Dive today have to Fly home Early Saturday morning good thing, because it rained all day so it was a good day to enjoy some Cerveza’s

OK First I will Give info on Manta Divers This is a small Dive op owned by a couple From Texas John and Mimi. They are located in the Tortugas Plaza next to Fat Tuesday’s. They are not a full service dive shop. Meaning they just run dives and rent equipment they don’t sell dive gear or dive related items. They do have all of the gear that you would need if you want to rent. I took my own gear. I can tell you though that the people that I dove with that had rented. Most of the equipment was in Metric. Bar for PSI and Meters for Depth that is the system Mexico uses so either learn metric or take your own gear.

The boat is nothing special it has enough room for 10 divers and two dive masters. With a captain and another employee who helps with your gear and boarding the boat from the water. There is a picture of it on their website. There is a canopy on it now, that isn’t in the picture. Most of the days I dove there was only 5 to 6 divers on a trip. The way into the water is a backwards roll of the side of the boat. It is a little tricky getting up on the side of the boat to get ready but they will help you.
Re-boarding the boat after the dive is a little more difficult but doable you have to take off your rig and fins and hand them up to the guy standing on the swim platform then when he tells you put one foot on the ladder and give him one of your hands and he will pull you up. This is how I gashed my leg that you read about in the top of this report. The ladder just needs a couple of supports behind it to keep it from swinging under the boat when you step on it. So basically the ladder is just to put one foot on. It isn’t for climbing up on Except with fore mentioned supports. The surface intervals the Crew of the boat changes out your tanks for you and then when it is time to dive they bring it to you and help you get set up.

In conclusion if you like small dive ops that take good care of you and not a cattle boat. Then this is a great dive op I was 100% satisfied with them even though a couple of days they did seem a little disorganized and the boat left a little late. If you’re just a vacation diver and want the big boat with entertainment and an elevator that brings you from the water back onto the boat and you don’t like the backwards roll then this is not the op for you.

The Hotel We stayed at a place called the Tucan Cun Beach Resort we knew nothing of this place going in we just saw an extremely good price on it for the full package air all inclusive. So we took a craps shoot and went for it. We were very pleasantly surprised. The place was very modern and clean I gave the guy at the desk an American 10 dollar bill and he upgraded us to a very nice room. This place has 3 pools one with a swim up bar. This is where we spent most of our time they have a dj and play games and are a ton of fun.
It is right on the beach Very large beach area. The only thing we noticed about being on the beach is the hotel is very anal about you being more then knee deep in the water I could not figure this out the waves were not big at all and it wasn’t storming but they were constantly blowing the whistle at people if they got to deep or to far to the left or right.
The Food was So-So when your cooking for a large amount of people it is just like any other buffet not great but edible. The service was excellent There is always roomers about drinks being watered down at all inclusives my feeling is so what there free just order another one or tell the guy to really make it good. You could always go with the beer if you think the booze has water in it. They serve Dos Equis XX on tap there. Speaking of Free Drinks here is a funny story. I was in line on day getting a drink there was this middle aged lady in front of me. Obviously not much of a drinker and first time to a tropical local and an all inclusive. She was reading the sign they had up with all of the tropical fruity drinks. Then ask the Bartender if he could make up a few of those just in a sample size shot. I started to grin and by now quite a line had formed behind us. Myself and the guy standing behind me are all inclusive Veterans almost at the same time said Lady just start at the top order one if you don’t like it no big deal throw it away and go to the next one there free. for Christ sakes. She didn’t find it funny so she just ordered a beer. So remember people if your at an all inclusive you have already paid for the drinks don’t let the line keep growing behind you because you want to sample everything Start at the top order one and work your way down until you find one you like. Throw it away if you don’t like one.
OK back to the hotel, the rooms were very nice and Big with a huge Shower with tons of HOT water in fact it was a chore keeping it cool enough while taking a shower. They had a sign in our room that said the water was purified it must have been I take some meds and I used water from the tap every morning with no probs.
At night the same people that work at the hotel at the pool at the bars at the buffets are also the entertainers. My wife and I are not into those type of shows but we did go and check them out never stayed through all of them but some people really seemed to enjoy them. There free so check them out
Well that I think covers everything if it doesn’t go ahead and pm me and ask me. I have pictures of the hotel that I didn’t post in my Gallery. If your interested. I would definitely stay at this hotel again. My wife really enjoyed the Kukulcan Mall that was right in front of the hotel

About the non diving activities around Cancun There is something for everyone to do there, my wife and I aren’t big partiers so the club scene was not for us but several nights to different places was offered through the hotel. We did take the Jungle tour on these little two person type speed boats Make sure you don’t go with Aquaworld on this one they use these old fashioned type looking Jetskis that look pretty wore out not to mention the stability factor in the water we took the one next to the Flamingo Plaza punta esche (sp) or something like that marina they are speed boat type and it was very fun and you even get to drive your own boat. Through the lagoon and out to the ocean by Club med and do some snorkeling then a nice drive back all along the lagoon.

Eating out we only ate out a couple of times once at Senor Frogs which I thought was kind of over priced I guess you paying for the atmosphere. And we tried one time to eat at the restaurant at the Kulkucan Mall right on the corner by the bus stop we got seated and waited for over five minutes and no one came around to wait on us and it was at lunch time and it wasn’t even busy so we got up and walked out.

great review of cancun, thanks. My wife and I just got back from cancun on Sun, 7-25. We had our first ocean water dive and we can't wait to dive again. I guess what they say bout diving being addictive is right!!! we dove with Manta (only 2 dives) and were pleasently surprised. our guide miguel was better than the our lds instructor who certified us. since it was our first dive, we were a bit nervous and he was perfectly reassuring and went through the entire dive step by step. the first dive was on the C 58 Anaya and went pretty well. However, I did not have enough weight at the start of the dive and used up a good portion of my air trying to swim my way to the bottom. (A lesson well learned about being relaxed and calm when you dive!!) Once I had added more weight I made it to the wreck and the dive went pretty well. Because the current was so strong, I still had some trouble staying on the bottom and I was forced to ascend about 5 minutes before the rest of the group when I ran low on air.
The second dive was a reef dive and it went perfectly. Anyway, I am a new diver so I learned a ton about myself and diving in general. Now I'm ready to go back and put it all together on dive-only trip.

mbwade76:
great review of cancun, thanks. My wife and I just got back from cancun on Sun, 7-25. We had our first ocean water dive and we can't wait to dive again. I guess what they say bout diving being addictive is right!!! we dove with Manta (only 2 dives) and were pleasently surprised. our guide miguel was better than the our lds instructor who certified us. since it was our first dive, we were a bit nervous and he was perfectly reassuring and went through the entire dive step by step.

All the Staff at Manta are Top Notch even Leif even though he got a bad wrap from me in my report. I'm glad you enjoyed your dive and your trip to Cancun I know Im looking forward to going back and so is the non diving wife.

My husband and I are leaving for cancun on jUly 31st we are using manta divers and we booked it with miguel as well. This is will be our 1st ocean dive since getting certified. So i am glad to hear that Miguel and Manta Divers are Top Notch. Will write an update when we get back..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom