Trip Report: Caribbean Explorer I/Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MN Lakeman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Now into into its second month of a new itinerary, the Caribbean Explorer I began its trek from Georgetown, Great Exuma & motored its way to Long Island, then Conception Island, San Salvador & back. My 20 year old daughter, newly certified, joined me on this great trip, in which she received terrific instruction from a temporary DM, Cedar (yound guy f/ Alaska). After passing her 4 check out dives to complete her referral, she became my outstanding dive buddy for the rest of trip, which totalled 25 dives. I'm not quite sure why Cedar was just a temporary DM (was on board a couple weeks), other than this particular operation is so new - the company would do well hiring him permanently. The rest of the crew was just as amazing. I can't say I've ever encountered a group of people so friendly, competant, & knowledgable in any service oriented industry. When each of the 6 crew members weren't attending to their usual duties, they were trading off diving the 5 dives a day with the 12 guests.

Boat was very comfortable, clean and showing very little wear & tear. A/C was down right chilly in our cabins, but great to sleep in with cozy quilts provided. Though this is one of the company's older boats, even the engineer, Henry (f/ So. Africa) commented it was his favorite one. We moved from site to site with amazing speed. Libby was a great chef. We found all meals to be quite tasty & varied. Everything from BBQ ribs, to lightly fried Grouper, & even a "Thanksgiving Night" - complete w/ pumpkin pie (in the Bahamas?).

Now the diving: First day to Long Island where we dove fairly shallow coral heads popping out of ultra white sandy bottom. Saw several cleaning stations w/ lots of the little cleaning shrimp working away. All the divers commented on seeing about the largest lobsters ever - I saw one taking a casual stroll on the sand, pretty much the size of a Labrador! Temps throughout trip were between 74 & 77. Viz wasn't terrific - between 50 & 75 ft. Anytime we hovered over the sandy bottom between reef structures, we encounter jaw fish & garden eels popping out, all week long. Days 2 & 5 we dove Conception Island, where we encounted the big stuff: 3 hammerhead sitings, 2 reef sharks (one of which I captured the best Mpg I've ever shot on my Sony rig - a half minute as close as 4 ft away), several hawk bill turtles, & southern sea rays. No mantas or dolphins. Here we did a deep wreck dive (100'), & have to say fish life overall was a bit down, but coral & gargonians were abundant & quite healthy.

Best dive sites were to be found days 3 & 4 @ San Salvadore. So good, that w/ the offer to sacrifice a dive for a land visit - no one took the offer up. Throughout the week, we were given exellent dive briefings, & an option to join the crew member on diving that particular dive, otherwise dive your own profiles, as long as you dove no deeper that 130', & had 500 psi back on board. We dove all five dives each of these two days, but because we were diving air, we watched our computers carefully, as mid week dives began with 100' to 115' walls. I found it fairly easy for us to stay out of the caution Ni loading zone since over half of even the deep dives could be spent over the top of well populated reef stucture on our returns to the boat. Saw scorpion fish, good size schools of jacks & grunts, huge Nausau groupers, parrots, tang, grey angels, giant lobsters & crabs on the night dives. Enjoyed a couple GREAT swim thoughs reminding me of Mary's Place/Calvins Crack in Roatan - start out 60' or so & pop out at 115'.

Great weather & calm seas thoughout trip certainly contributed to making this my favorite trip so far in my 4 years of diving. My daughter truly looked like an expert by the end - 'can't endorse getting your kids involved in this great sport enough (& what better way doing so!). I give Explorer Ventures a 10 on service, comfort, sense of safety, & meals. I'd say an 8 on dive sites - they are still getting a feel for their new itineray but getting there fast.

mn lakeman,
thank you for such a detailed report.
i will be going on this vessel july 16th and can't wait.
my buddy al will be meeting me there and i'm sure we will have a ball.
regards,

I'm going to be on there trip Oct8-15 and i've been waiting for a trip report to come up on SB. What were you wearing as far as a wetsuit? I was probably going to bring a 3mm full, do you think that would be adequate or should I go for the 7mil?
Thanx,
Neil

I wore a hooded 3mm vest under my 3mm full - & was perfect. Personally, I would be too warm in a full 7mm even in Oct (although thats what the DM was wearing the whole week) - 5mm probably just right, but if you don't have a hooded vest, buy one 'cause they're easy to pack & can REALLY make a difference when you may have brought a wetsuit slightly too light for whatever trip you're going on. Keeping water from moving down your neck really cuts down on the water exchange. Have a great trip!!

MN Lakeman:
We found all meals to be quite tasty & varied. Everything from BBQ ribs, to lightly fried Grouper...

have to say fish life overall was a bit down...

Fish life was down, eh?

:wink:

We were on the CE I in April - Water temps were about 73. The dives are all pretty much on the deep side and I also had a 3mm with a 3mm hooded vest. My gf used a 5mm. Long, deep repetitive dives. I would take along the same wetsuit and hooded vest if I were going in October.

We had a great time and the group aboard were a lot of fun.

My first impression while diving was that the fish population was down, but when I got home and started editing video tapes - we actually saw lots of different animals - the high light was a 14 foot hammerhead at a dive site called "great cut" Also great shots of black tips and reef sharks. Big animals was our goal for this trip and we were well satisfied. Sahrks were sighted on all dives, by at least a few divers. Also nesting Queen Trigger fish were interesting and there were a lot of porcupine puffers.

One word of caution though - if you have any special dietary requirements make sure they REALLY know in advance.

NAIBdiver1

naibdiver1,
thank you for your trip report.
sounds like y'all had a ball.
i'll be going out on her on the 16th.
did y'all see any current while there?
did the airline enforce the 50lb per bag limit?
regards,

smokey braden:
naibdiver1,
thank you for your trip report.
sounds like y'all had a ball.
i'll be going out on her on the 16th.
did y'all see any current while there?
did the airline enforce the 50lb per bag limit?
regards,

No current at all.

We flew USAir from National. Bahamas Air from Nassau to Georgetown. We were allowed 70lbs per bag and putting my camera equipment in my carry on - we had no problem with the weight.

We were questioned by the ticket agent why we were going to the Bahamas and were we diving. She got pretty intense. We read on other forums that if you say that you have diving equipment they may add an additional fee. So we kept our mouths shut and just ignoreded the questions. I think my gf said we were just going hiking and left it at that.

One thing I have to add about USAir. The baggage handlers really did a number on my new Akona Boat bag. I made a complaint when I returned to DC and USAir got a new bag to replace my damaged one. Plus it's a much nicer Eagle Creek bag. So a big thumbs up for USAir on that note.

Thanks for the great trip report!

We have the entire boat booked (including myself) for a trip in November. Many of the divers I'm going with, have already been on this boat when it was in the waters around T&C.

Who are the current crew members and captain on board? It's a question many of the return divers are wondering.

Canadian_Diver:
Thanks for the great trip report!

Who are the current crew members and captain on board? It's a question many of the return divers are wondering.

Capt. Aemon & his wife, Nicolla (cruise director), DM Denise, & Henry was the engineer. Libby was the outstanding chef. We had a "temporary" young DM/Instructor, Cedar (from Alaska), who was amazing, considering this was his first job after getting certified. I'd be curious if Explorer Ventures hired him permanently. Great crew - they really helped make this an enjoyable trip, as it seemed they liked what they do day in & day out.

My daughter & I traveled American/American Eagle. 70 lbs limit per bag, w/ no problems other than one bag not making it f/ Miami to Georgetown due to plane (smaller turboprop) being packed. I was quite impressed though, after approaching ticket counter with our dilemma, the lady quickly located bag on her computer & confidently told me it was arriving on the evening flight. Bag came in on the 8pm flight, & was put on a taxi w/ remaining passengers boarding the boat Sat. night.

Have a great trip! I'll be back in a year or two for sure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom