Trip Report: Caribe Blu and Blue Angel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since my hot room and cold showers at Caribe Blu, I've tried Casa Del Mar and Hotel Cozumel. I like Hotel Cozumel the best but of course the price is higher. Casa Del Mar was in the middle somewhere.

Sometimes when I look back, all I really wanted was a place to sleep that's cool and a decent shower. I'm glad these problems have been worked out as the location near town and the dive shop next door seem convenient. So I go back and forth, from a nicer hotel one trip to one that saves money that can be spent on diving. I just want to be cool at night while sleeping. Caribe Blu was full when I was there and wasn't able to put me in a better room, so at least they seemed concerned.

I'm always looking for a hotel bargain because I'm a diver and never do the all inclusive thing. I even checked out Bahia suites and they had big old rooms downtown that were priced even better than Caribe Blu's $90.00. Heck, you could walk to dinner.

If I had poor luck with the dive op's that I use, I would have even given Blue Angel a try too as I've heard a lot of good things about them. But you have to admit, if you haven't tried Blue Angel, but you have tried Blue XTSea, Deep Blue, Liquid Blue, and Dive with Martin, and you're happy, why change?

So maybe next time in Cozumel, I'll give Caribe Blu another try.

Thanks

Ive dove there twice , never stayed but can vouch for the service and the food. I dove there 4 months ago for the record.

I have dove with Blue Angel 3 times, stayed at the Caribe Blue twice. Once it was good, the other time so-so. I do not think the OP was attacked, but his review was not taken lightly by some. I have never had a problem with the BA DM's for I have always gone on a group trip and we take our own DM's. Next time I go to Cozumel I know we will be staying at a all inclusive because that is the way the wife likes to vacation. I dive she doesnt, have to keep her happy, cuz I dont, my life can be a living hell.

Who pays $90/night to stay at CB? They're currently advertising 7 nights 5 days diving for $510. If we call it $55/day for diving, that leaves $34/night for the hotel. Highway robbery!

FWIW, (probably nothing) we've stayed at CB and dove with Blue Angel several years in a row, and recommended it to others. We've always been very satisfied. We've also dove with many of their DM's, and while there is one who's been named who was a little bit too aloof for our tastes, none of them were rude. And Matt is our absolute favorite and an extremely capable instructor and dive leader! We request him whenever he is available.

DallasNewbie:
Who pays $90/night to stay at CB? They're currently advertising 7 nights 5 days diving for $510. If we call it $55/day for diving, that leaves $34/night for the hotel. Highway robbery!

That's $34/night per person based on double occupancy, I believe. Still less than $90, though.

And I agree; Matt's great!

ggunn:
That's $34/night per person based on double occupancy, I believe. Still less than $90, though....

That does put it just about even with Casa Mexicana where they get down to $80 or less per night per room and throw in breakfast. It must do something right at retain such a loyal (albeit rabid) following but the disparity in views in this thread leaves those of us who haven't/don't stay there wondering if you are talking about the same place.

Tim

cheesehead:
That does put it just about even with Casa Mexicana where they get down to $80 or less per night per room and throw in breakfast. It must do something right at retain such a loyal (albeit rabid) following but the disparity in views in this thread leaves those of us who haven't/don't stay there wondering if you are talking about the same place.

Tim

Just about every hotel has a "rack rate" for last minute, no reservation, walkup, or whatever, that is higher than what one can get as part of a package, through an agent, or being a repeat customer. In some hotels I have encountered there has been as much as a 2X difference. Perhaps that is what is in play here.

DallasNewbie:

As Gordon correctly pointed out, the rate you are looking at is for double occupancy and is ALSO part of a package with THEIR dive shop.

The advertised rack rates are in fact $90 USD per night, and they have a sign saying so hanging in the reception area. There are agents they work with who are authorized to offer lower rates, but not much lower.

divemedic:
I have never had a problem with the BA DM's for I have always gone on a group trip and we take our own DM's.

You may bring your own DM's along, but they are just your group leaders and are not the dive leaders here. You still are required by local law and marine park regulations to have a LOCAL divemaster in the water leading the dive at all times. The LOCAL DM is responsible for the group and knows the area and local protocols, etc. better than a DM for your local dive shop.

Christi:
As Gordon correctly pointed out, the rate you are looking at is for double occupancy and is ALSO part of a package with THEIR dive shop.

The advertised rack rates are in fact $90 USD per night, and they have a sign saying so hanging in the reception area. There are agents they work with who are authorized to offer lower rates, but not much lower.

True enough. I just assumed because the OP stayed at CB and dove with BA, that he got a package.

driftin' by:
Gordon, I'm pleased to report that the alliance is growing. We've added the following happy customers of Caribe Blu/Blue Angel with strong support from 10 additional states. Oh, and our name had changed to HACANJVIMWOTCPCBBAA to reflect our newly added constituents however, I'm not sure this will fit on the t-shirts now. :D

H2ODoc - Colorado
LBR - Atlanta
Hooked4Life - New Jersey
tiggy - Virgina
d56nut - Indiana
WOODMAN - Minneapolis
Rick Inman - Washington
geojo01 - Oklahoma
MemphisDiver - Tennessee
ucrtwf - Chicago

We have been to Cozumel 4 times in the past 3 years. We are getting married next year in Cozumel so that tells you how much we like the island. We stayed at Caribe Blue in June 06 and June 07. The hotel has many good things for the price you are paying. Things like no wifi in the upper floors does suck, and being in IT I could fix this in an hour...but to me its not a deal breaker. Not having hot water for 2 trips to this hotel is a deal breaker for us. We have never dove with BA so I have no comment.

Just like anything else on this message board take things for what they are worth. You make the decision. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom