Trip Report - Carnival Legend 8/16-23

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parkerco

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi ... wasn't sure where to really post this but felt compelled to post something given a few experiences that perhaps others might get something useful from.

My girlfriend and I just returned from our first post-OW dives, which we did as part of a Carnival Legend cruise. We understood that cruise ship excursions are pretty much "cattle calls" and don't necesarily go to the best sites but figured, for our first "real" dives fresh out of certification, that perhaps a bit more supervision and less to see would be a good start (and a good scouting trip for future trips).

The Legend hits Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize and Roatan. There were things we both wanted to do in Cozumel and Belize so, although we knew the diving there would have been extraordinary, chose Cayman and Roatan. Also I actually tried to set up a few non-excursion dives but the names of dive ops I had read good reviews of here (like scubawithalison.com) were booked on the days we were in port.

We dove two spots in Grand Cayman with Don Foster's Dive Cayman ... I apologize as I don't recall both names and my dive log's at home, but I believe they were Eagle's Nest and Wildlife Reef. Coming into this not expecting that much from a cruise-ship organized dive I was shocked at the customer service and feeling of comfort we had diving with these guys. As an example, at the first site my girlfriend had severe under-weighting problems and couldn't descend (this was our first dive with weight belts, as we completed our OW back home with integrated weights in our BC's). By the time we had her fixed up we had trouble even with direction from the boat finding our group's bubbles to reconnect with them. After getting a lil' concerned we were getting a bit far from the boat we swam back intending to scrap the first dive only to meet one of the divemasters who wasn't leading the other two groups swimming to us to take us on our own short dive so we wouldn't miss out -- that floored me (and we tipped appropriately). Having dealt with customers over the years in my own businesses and knowing that dive shops probably look down on the cruise ship bit as you would any routine thing you do at your job, that extra effort from one of their guys was stunning to us. The DM's we dove with also exuded confidence and friendliness which, given their fairly young ages, suprised me. While we weren't blown away by the dives themselves, for our first ocean dives we were just thrilled with the whole deal, start to finish. Would definitely dive with them again and I wish I had written down the names of the individuals we dealt with personally as I cannot laud, or thank, them enough.

Our second experience, in Roatan, was 180 degrees opposite and suprised me for a few reasons. We dove with Anthony's Key Resort, who oddly enough we had a video presentation of during our PADI OW classes back home (in Colorado) and were really excited to get to go to. In talking to the AKR rep who met us on the cruise ship, apparently our LDS sends them about 200 divers a year. Given all of this I was expecting something on par with our first experience.

From the beginning, however, things started going south. As we just started our dive careers we're taking our purchases slowly ... so far we've only invested in masks, snorkels and lower-end dive computers since we're not familiar enough with different fins and BC's to take that plunge yet. So we get on the boat and as we're sorting out gear I realize that the octo I've been given is lacking a mouth-piece on the regulator. No big deal since I refuse to let people set my gear up for me and would have noticed it, but that seems like kind of a bizarre oversight for a professional dive shop to put on one of their boats for customers =/ My BC also wasn't functioning as well as I had hoped, although it worked well enough (had to do a half-barrel roll to blip air out of low-pressure inflator for some reason).

Things went a bit more south in the water. I don't recall the name of the first dive site we took the boat to, but instead of separating the 20 people into two or more groups (which they had done in Grand Cayman with the other shop I mentioned), one divemaster took 20 people in the water. To 80'. Granted I don't have the dive experience that it seems most people here do, but that seemed like a recipe for disaster to me just given what I experienced on our first dive. Sure enough, once at the bottom there are divers everywhere, divers exceeding the profile (we were diving in a spot that had a slope that led much, much deeper), running into each other, and towards the end we actually lost the divemaster =( I had been getting concerned about the depth and what was going on around me, and in monitoring my buddy who had turned to look at some coral for a moment and trying to get her attention I managed to lose sight of the DM. Keeping an eye on the computer we opted to continue following some people in front of us and eventually found him again near the surface, but he definitely was not keeping an eye on the group that we could see (at the safety stop at the end people were bobbing up to the top in the current, just heading to the boat, etc.). We also pushed the profile pretty hard, which I didn't realize until we got back to the cruise ship and I punched in the data from my computer and log into the lil' eRDP-ML calc we got in OW). Given that we had children and older divers with us that shocked me, in looking back on the dive, and it makes sense of a few things we saw. While my air consumption was pretty low as usual we actually had an older gentleman run his tank out of air (I surfaced with 1,100 PSI and my GF with 500). That's a lil' sketchy to me. I get that this is a "solo" sport in that the goal is to be self-sufficient and not need supervision, but at the same time I know that a lot of divers, especially new ones (prime candidates for cattle-call type cruise ship dive excursions) are looking for the same hand-holding they got in PADI's OW. The problem to me is that given a "tour guide" type of DM situation doing a follow-the-leader dive some sort of supervision has to be given when you don't know the experience and comfort level of the divers, I would think. Personal opinion, and I'm sure some would disagree.

Our second dive of the day in Roatan was vastly better, thankfully, and we had a new DM take us in who was amazing at spotting and pointing out all kinds of wildlife, including a few turtles who swam with us for a few minutes. All in all though I was unimpressed as a whole, which dissapoints me as we absolutely fell in love with Roatan and diving there and want to go back as soon as possible. I'm just not sure where we'd go now. We plan on talking to our LDS about all of this to get their take on things, and I'm mixed on what to take from it all. I'm reluctant to write off AKR as I've only heard and read good things prior to this and I'm not the sort to let one bad experience take that all away, but at the same time I have a really bad taste in my mouth (outside of sea-water) about the shop.

As far as we go, the immediate lessons we learned were that sooner than later we should probably invest in our gear (my gf had a few issues with the unfamiliar controls on the low-pressure inflator) -- I expected going in that things would be different from what we trained with and not in top shape, but having now gone down to 80' or so I think I'd like a bit more confidence in my gear and who's maintaining it going foward than I had that day. My GF and I talked a lot about our findings on the dive planners post-dive and decided next time we go on a dive we're definitely working out the NDL's and ABT's pre-dive for ourselves once the DM gives us the depth and sticking to them regardless of what's going on with the DM in the water, and with some more experience will start tracking our direction a bit more closely so we can get back to the boat if we feel we need to end the dive early and/or the DM's not visible and we're concerned about getting lost. We also learned a lot about ourselves diving and our dynamic in the water which we're going to work on going forward (buddy positioning, who's leading and when, and a few personal hand signals to indicate important stuff like "if that warm current I just felt came from your wetsuit, I'll cut your airhose" and "don't just look at your air gauge, INDICATE TO ME WHAT THE #$%& IT SAYS"). I found myself spending most of my dive time monitoring my GF and less sight-seeing, which we're going to try to work on a bit. In my defense, however, her mother's a CSI and specifically told me before this trip if anything happened to her daughter she had the experience and knowledge to cut me into small pieces and bury me where nobody would find me, so I had some reason for being a bit more protective than I probably needed to be =)

All in all I was happy ... actually, thrilled with the dives. The experiences with AKR in Roatan were less-than-expected and a bit nerve-wracking, but taught a few lessons that I'd rather have sooner, when everything's new, than later when I've developed my own habits. And the sheer beauty underwater that we got to see in Roatan, and confidence in our own skills that was built, turned even a slightly sour experience into a pretty amazing one. Again we had gone on this cruise knowing kind of what we would experience to scout out future trip locations, and learned a few things about some exotic locations to check out next time.

The Legend itself, btw, is a hell of a cruise ship -- been on several and they do a top-notch job, the ports were all amazing, and we'd definitely recommend it if there are divers looking to combine some mouth-breathing with a great non-scuba vacation.

e experience that it seems most people here do, but that seemed like a recipe for disaster to me just given what I experienced on our first dive. Sure enough, once at the bottom there are divers everywhere, divers exceeding the profile (we were diving in a spot that had a slope that led much, much deeper), running into each other, and towards the end we actually lost the divemaster =( I had been getting concerned about the depth and what was going on around me, and in monitoring my buddy who had turned to look at some coral for a moment and trying to get her attention I managed to lose sight of the DM. Keeping an eye on the computer we opted to continue following some people in front of us and eventually found him again near the surface, but he definitely was not keeping an eye on the group that we could see (at the safety stop at the end people were bobbing up to the top in the current, just heading to the boat, etc.). We also pushed the profile pretty hard, which I didn't realize until we got back to the cruise ship and I punched in the data from my computer and log into the lil' eRDP-ML calc we got in OW). Given that we had children and older divers with us that shocked me, in looking back on the dive, and it makes sense of a few things we saw. While my air consumption was pretty low as usual we actually had an older gentleman run his tank out of air (I surfaced with 1,100 PSI and my GF with 500). That's a lil' sketchy to me. I get that this is a "solo" sport in that the goal is to be self-sufficient and not need supervision, but at the same time I know that a lot of divers, especially new ones (prime candidates for cattle-call type cruise ship dive excursions) are looking for the same hand-holding they got in PADI's OW.

FWIW, this is both extremely common and extremely dangerous. You can check out the "Accidents and Incidents" section for lots of people who didn't make out as well as you did.

How did the old guy handle OOA? Did he bolt for the surface or share air with someone?

This is just getting really depressing.

Terry

Don't let my "SB handle" confuse you- I'm about to write about....

A great recounting of a new diver and his buddy going cruise ship diving.

You are right, they're going to take you to dive sites that are not easily damaged by divers learning buoyancy.

You mention "Cattle Call", this is actually a modeling/acting casting call term. A Cattle Boat? They do exist, and you may indeed have been aboard one or more- but right now you do not have the experience level to really know. I would undoubtedly see the DM's role as herding cattle, at least on a Cruise Ship dive. Cruise Ship Divers are collectively know as Pod People. Seeing how this works?

dive shops probably look down on the cruise ship bit as you would any routine thing you do at your job

No, they just treat every Pod Person that walks through the door the same way- they have to. They really could care less about advanced c-cards or log books. If you return and make contacts, they might treat you a bit differently- but remember- the better dive sites are rarely accessible during you allotted shore-leave!

There is usually a pre-dive briefing that will note the depths of the dive. Sometimes these details are easy to miss, sometimes (rarely) they are omitted from the information. If it is omitted, now you know to go and ask. Now you know to make that a priority on your pre-dive checklist.

It is always up to us to dive to the depth we are comfortable with- no one is handcuffed to a DM. You can ghost above the pack. At the same time, no one should expect a handholding dive. if one needs assistance, DMs are always for hire. I'm not saying that I saw your view that way- but when you mention the ratio of DMs to Guests, there is no standard, anywhere- much less any consistency from day-to-day (in most places).

Assume no standard of care on any dive excursion. Ask before you get on the boat.

Understand that in the example of AKR, cruise ship divers are their bread and butter. They run more cruise ship divers through there in a week than many resorts see in a year. Everybody wants to come and see Flipper. Your dive shop's relationship with any given resort is largely profit driven. Dive shops align with the resorts that give them the best rates of return on "referral package" (not in the certification sense). US LDS quite often select specific island operations based on commissions alone. AKR takes good care of the people who send customers to them.

Why your LDS trained you in weight integrated BC's only... man I would seriously question that omission.

As far as not wanting Boatsmen to touch your stuff... if you are renting from them and especially if you are one of the "pod people", you should expect this. These guys have seen it all, and mostly it comes from divers there on their first day. Guess what that makes you? Otherwise, it is an ongoing point of discussion here on SB. Personally- I let them do whatever they want, then I re-rig it if necessary. The next time around, a good Boatsman will have it the way you set it up. Either way, I'm the last check. Your style will evolve, and in some areas such as this- might stay the same. In some more advanced dive environments, you'll find that you will have that last-check prerogative only. Something to think about.

Although I am a bit perplexed that you don't yet own fins and might be "tripped up":doh:eek:ver rentals- I mean flippers is flippers! You sure handled that BC issue like a Jedi Master! Missing mouthpieces are something that are absolutely part of your gear check. They quite often disappear because rental gear is dragged about- sometimes the mouthpieces get snagged on a walkway board. Good thing you caught it, but with your abilities, likely you would have overcome that like the BC issue! (Wait until you have a mouthpiece in your pie-hole and the regulator slips off. There are all sorts of golllleeee posts here about that eye-opening I-never-woulda'-thunk-it phenomenon, as well. You're just scratching the surface!)

The eRDP thing and your dive profile concerns? The more diving by computer you do, you will quickly learn that the eRDP will tell you that you're dead (retroactively) fairly often. Remember- it is a "planner", meaning in advance. It is really a tool for understanding how a dive computer works. If you use it post-dive, it will argue with the information that your computer stated with confidence. Going to 80fsw and returning with 1100psi is not an equation for Nitrogen loading per-se.

I gather from the post that you dove in Roatan on two different days, and that the rental gear had a dive computer on it. Assuming that it was zero'd out before your first dive, I would also assume that they reserved the same computer for you on day #2. If either of the preceding did not occur, that fancy computer served only as expensive non-ditchable weight. The residual Nitrogen loading from two dives separated by 24 hours would be minimal, but just another point about renting dive gear. A dive computer really comes into its best use on repetitive dives over a 24 hour period.

I think with your obvious awareness of the technicalities of diving, you will soon abandon this method of diving and select a smaller liveaboard, the siren's call of the Legend's 2am ice cream buffet notwithstanding. :wink:

Last edited:
ParkerCo - What a great review! My wife and I are booked on the Carnival Valor for the middle of October and will be freshly certified by that time. We are actually scheduled for OW checkout dives this week. Although we take about three cruises per year, this will be the first since obtaining our certification. We have been to all of the ports you mentioned many, many times and look forward to doing more than snorkeling. Anyway, great review. You now have us excited about our upcoming cruise.

parkerco,

My reaction to your post is that you at least have good situational awareness and have learned a lot from those first two days of diving.

I suspect most of the folks posting here are quite experienced and have long forgotten how your mind races on those first few dives, trying to connect what is going on vs. what we were taught in our classes.

It sounds like your second dives at each location went better than the first. While cruising has its advantages, 3 days at a resort and diving with the same shop would provide a better opportunity to sort out any issues and allow you to better enjoy the dive and the diving experience.

My wife and I were certified 23 months ago and have dove with 10 different operators from Fiji to the Red Sea and including a couple of liveaboards. Every operator has a little different protocol and you can learn from each but don't ever forget that you are responsible for your own and your buddy's safety.

Our first ocean dives were cruise ship excursions and the very first, a cattle boat out of Lahaina, Hawaii. For this initial diving experience, I paid extra for a dive guide. He kept us safe and we learned a lot from him. Like your experience on Cayman, diving was not that great, on our second dive they took us to Turtle Reef, a pile of broken concrete with steel railroad rails sticking out...but we did see a turtle on Turtle Reef, in fact he swam in formation with me for a couple of minutes.

Terry: I'm pretty sure it happened on the very tail end, but he seemed fairly freaked out (still did the 2nd dive of the day however). We were finishing our safety stop as it happened a ways away from the boat and as I said the group was so spread out I didn't see it go down, just the aftermath -- people trying to help him up the back steps of the boat and passing his gear up to those already on-board.

cbpraigg: I'm glad you got something from that, thanks! My experience is similar to yours in that I just wanted to go deeper than a snorkel but love cruising. If the Valor has the "supper club" for $30 btw definitely make a reservation ... for that price the meal was a ridiculously large bargain (just don't skip a "elegant" night for it, as they step up the main dining room menu on those nights).

hypersonic: Thank you. Our next dive is actually going to be somewhere fixed for a week, most likely Cozumel.

RoatanMan: Thank you for the detailed analysis ... feedback from more experienced divers is always appreciated. As for flippers, I really wanted to rent a few more styles before I make the purchase, you know? Having read just about every page of the infamous "what I bought that I regret" thread in another discussion forum on here it seemed like flippers came up almost as often as BCs. I think at this point I've decided against split-fins and will probably pick up fins and a BC after my AOW class. I also understand what you mean about how the shops are going to treat everyone the same -- hence why I was so blown away by the efforts of that one DM in Cayman. As far as Roatan we did 2 dives in 1 day, and I think the rental gear had a computer on it but I was primarily using the Gekko I bought.

And I can see what you mean about the eRDPML ... obviously without programming in the levels it's going to give a conservative read-out since it's using maximum depth so it didn't freak me out, just suprised me given that I would have assumed a tour-guideish sort of setup would err on the conservative side =) And we hope to do a liveaboard soon! We wanted to get a good number of dives under our belt for the experience and skills and then plan to try a liveaboard once we know we'll fully be able to appreciate the experience.

Terry: I'm pretty sure it happened on the very tail end, but he seemed fairly freaked out (still did the 2nd dive of the day however). We were finishing our safety stop as it happened a ways away from the boat and as I said the group was so spread out I didn't see it go down, just the aftermath -- people trying to help him up the back steps of the boat and passing his gear up to those already on-board.

The cruise ship dives are extremely variable, depending on the dive op.

Hugh Parkey in Belize , for example, does an phenomenal job. They make small groups out of the mob on the boat, and have a DM at the front and back of each group. OTOH, I wouldn't trust the St. Thomas dive op (don't remember the name) to keep my lunch safe, and the Grenada dive op actually managed to overload his dive boat so much that it sank.

I do maybe 6 or 8 cruise ship dives/year just to keep my rescue skills sharp. I might bring a video camera this year, so I have something to show to the OW classes. :cool:

Terry

Next time just book on your own. I do a family cruise every year and never had a issue booking on my own. Its almost always cheaper and you get to the better sites with only 6-8 people vs. 20. Most ports I have time to do the am with a local shop and one afternoon with out any issues as most of the ships are in port until 5. You will also find that most of the local shops will pick you right up at the ship and bring you back either by boat of via car/truck. So you are doing the same thing as the ships excursion just to better sites, cheaper, and with smaller groups. Not to mention the dm only has to keep and eye on 6 people vs. 20 so if something does go wrong it is much easier to control. Just my thoughts

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom