Trip Report: Grand Bahama Island 4/6/05-4/11/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tanked Monkey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I just got back from a little trip to Grand Bahama Island last night, and jeez, I wish I was still there. We dove with Fred and Melinda at Grand Bahama Scuba, and they were great. My wife and I did our AOW with them, as well as regular dives. GBS picked us up at our hotel, and were always on time. They also dropped us off at the end of the dive day. We stayed at the Port Lucaya Resort and Yacht Club. It was basic accomodations, just fine for us, as we spent very little time in the room. The best thing about the hotel was that it was directly next to the restaurant and shopping area.

Day 1: Too much wind, water was too rough to dive. So we did our coursework and easy navigation dive (in the canal) that day. Glad that happened on the first day, so we got most of the classes and navigation part out of the way. Only one dive today, and it was in the canal. I hope the weather turns! Water was 75, and I wore a 3 mil today. I have a feeling that is too cold for repetitive diving.

Day 2: Rain :( Luckilly, GBS set it up ahead of time so we could dive in Ben's Cave (an inland cavern dive). It was wonderful. The experience was somewhere between Florida springs and Mexico cenotes. Very easy entry like in FL, but also stalagmites, no flow, and a halocline like in MX. Only one dive today too, but what a wonderful dive it was! Switched to my 7 mil, and am very happy.

Day 3: Beautiful weather. We were all set to dive Theo's Wreck, but another problem surfaced. We just hooked into the mooring ball on the bow of the wreck, and it began to drift. Turns out the line was so frayed, all it took was one more boat to cause it to snap. And that just happened to be us. The wreck's stern mooring was long gone. So we abandoned that site and moved to Duncan's Wreck. Duncan's was broken into 3 main pieces, and was a great dive. After that, we did Questor, which is a nearby reef and ranges from 40 fsw to about 60 fsw. The afternoon dive was Pygmy Caves, which were alot of fun. It was kind of like many grooves, or small canyons.

Day 4: Sunny, nice weather. We started out at Theo's for another attempt. This time, Fred dropped anchor about 25 yards from the bow. We descended and did a nice trip alongside the wreck, then some mild penetration keeping daylight always in sight. While we were diving, they re-attached the mooring line to the bow, so it will be there for future boats. Next dive we went to Shark Junction. Even though we didn't feed the sharks, they were still plentiful. This site is a combination of sand bottom and nearby reef. The last dive of the day (and trip) was a shallow reef at about 10 fsw. We dove for well over an hour, and still had TONS of air left. We just noticed that everyone else was already back on the boat, so we felt guilty about styaing in the water so long. You know how it is . . . first in the water, last out of the water.

All in all, we did 8 dives, over 4 dive days. If the weather had been better the first 2 days, we would have done more. As it was, we had ample time to do our AOW coursework, and didn't feel pressed by time. It was a great trip. When we do it again, we won't do anything differently, except maybe stay for a few more days.

Mike

Thanks for the great report. I had a great time taking my AOW with them as well -- one day in the canal, but I was not so lucky to see the cave. I do know how to board a really rocking boat, however. If you have time, I think people would appreciate some details about the boat and out of water details -- perhaps compare them to other operators. It was only my second trip with a dive operator so I do not have much to compare it to...yet. Thanks again.

Mike,

Thanks for the report!!
Damn I miss diving there!!
My wife and I usually spend 2 weeks a year staying at ORYC and diving with Fred, we haven't met Melinda yet. Last year we couldn't go because of hurricanhe damage to the resort.

Glad you got to do Bens Cavern. My wife and I really enjoyed it too.

Puck:
If you have time, I think people would appreciate some details about the boat and out of water details -- perhaps compare them to other operators. It was only my second trip with a dive operator so I do not have much to compare it to...yet. Thanks again.

Good point. I didn't really get into that. You're right.

Port Lucaya's nightlife wasn't that great, but that was fine with us. Since we went to the Bahamas to dive, we turned in fairly early each night. I guess there were a few bars that looked like fun, but we really didn't have the energy to party 'till dawn. The food was average as far as island food goes. Not spectacular, but not bad either. I'm a sucker for conch (especially conch fritters), so I was satisfied.

Grand Bahama Scuba was run well. All of the little details were taken care of for us, without us even having to ask. The operation was very easy going. We never felt rushed to get in the water, or to get on the boat NOW. The pace was relaxed.

After a day of diving, they let us store our gear in their locked equipment room, right next to the boat. This was a huge convenience, as we didn't have to lug it back and forth to our hotel. The storage room was ventilated, so the gear dried out well. Also, when we arrived the next morning, our gear was already onboard the boat. I'm not sure if they do this for everyone, but it sure was nice.

Either Fred or Melinda or both of them went on every dive. They didn't chaperone us; they let us do what we wanted. It was nice that they were u/w in our general area, in case we had any questions or problems. They let us do our own thing, but if we stayed with them on the dive, they showed us some really cool stuff. It's nice to dive with an operator who still really loves every dive, even after being in the business for 20 years.

Did I mention that they picked us up and dropped us off each day? That sure was convenient. We even grabbed lunch with them one day. Nitrox was available, and we definitely enjoyed that. GBS' pricing was really good as well. It seems like GBS has very loyal customers, who come back time and again. And it's easy to see why. :star:

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom