Trip Report - Huracan Diving (Again) :D

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Our recent trip to Huracan Divers was our second time there, and the 5th consecutive trip to the outer cayes of Belize. My first Huracan Report is here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/belize/449577-trip-report-huracan-diving-long-caye.html

If you took the time to read my first report, you'll understand why we returned. We had a great trip last year, and any of our minor complaints were more weather-related than anything. Having said that, we returned with a small degree of concern.

As you might have read, the Lodge was sold last year, and since we knew the previous owner, we were concerned a bit about the "new guy". We had also learned that our beloved "CC" who was pretty much responsible for everything that wasn't dive-related, had left. None-the-less, we pressed on...

Our flights there were delayed but when we met at the Princess Hotel, I was surprised to be met with a holler from CC. She was returning, and just in time for our stay! Bonus!. We got also met our DM Jerome there (who I have stayed in touch with), Anna, the new manager, and Bernard the new owner. Anna is a "take charge" kinda girl and her ability to get things done was immediately apparent. Bernard, was a quiet fellow, just returning from a trip to the US. We soon shoved off for out trip to Long Caye, which is almost 60 miles out...

Once we arrived, we immediately noticed a few changes to the main building... the grounds had been spruced up some (Bernard is an avid gardener, and was engaged in an ongoing battle with the local iguanas who kept eating his seedlings!) Inside, things were about the same, but we met the new chef, who appeared to be about 15 (he was 25) named Minor. We learned later that it was also his first week there, and was on a bit of a probation period.

We got settled in and began to unwind. Shortly after, our first dinner was served. And suddenly we realized that we "weren't in Kansas anymore". Last year, the food was delicious and plentiful, but pretty basic fare. Our dinner seemed to be well, amazing... and it was the first of many meals like that. Our new young Chef was a master, and surprised us with his creativity and presentation. This was downright fancy dining. Mrs. Stoo loves a good meal, and she enjoyed every meal. It's important to remember that we are WAY out in the middle of nowhere... there's limited kitchen space and no grocery store. The constant stream of really amazing meals surprised us all... If there was any complaint (and this is a stretch), some of the early meals were perhaps a titch on the small side, but after one of us commented, the meals became diver-sized… Most were locally-inspired with frequent fresh seafood acquired from the odd fishermen who stopped in.

The reason that we first tried Huracan was due to the proximity to Halfmoon Caye. After staying at Turneffe Island Resort a few times, we had decided that this was the best diving in the area. Unfortunately, the weather last year was not ideal, and wind prevented us from diving there much.

This time, we were blessed with proper Belizian sunshine and calm seas. The diving was spectacular. Jerome was his usual obliging self, and great fun to be around. Because he knew us, we bypassed the usual warm-up dives and got right to the good stuff. We went as a group of five this year, and he spent most of his time with another less-experienced couple while they were there. They left on Wednesday, so it was just the five of us, and our trusty DM and we had some serious fun, including a couple of excellent Blue Hole dives. Captain Reese was a new staff member and a great guy. Most of the diving is drift-diving, and he was always there when we popped up.. give or take a mile. :wink:

As I did last year, I will point out that Huracan is not for everyone. It’s a very remote place, with all the “downsides” you might expect. If your vacations need to include shopping, golf, go-carts and a movie, this is not the place for you. If great diving, a warm and inviting staff and a genuine feeling of “home” is important, then you should seriously have a look at this place. There are a few things, like limited water, no A/C etc., that might cause you to be concerned, but neither is really an issue. You just need to leave the big-city attitude at home. Staying at Huracan is a lot like going to a friends cottage for a week.

As mentioned, Huracan is under new ownership. The owner, Bernard, is a bit of an enigma and a somewhat unlikely sort to own a remote dive lodge. He is not a diver, and doesn’t appear to have much interest in becoming one. He’s an accomplished artist, a former vineyard owner and a pretty interesting guy to talk to. He has brought a sense of “refinement” to the place. Coupled with Anna’s “git ‘er done” abilities, Jerome’s skills as a DM, Reese’s boat skills, the culinary expertise of CC and Minor, all with the help of young Dante who appears to do whatever else needs doing, the place ticks along beautifully.

Three of us decided to return again next year (the other two of us are getting married or some silly thing instead). This will only be the second resort where we have “three-peated” (Turneffe being the other one) so that should tell you something.

I will post a few pics later, but there are a couple of public galleries on my FB page, which is linked below.

Great trip report, thank you. My wife and I are considering a trip to Belize this July, and Huracan is one of the places that looks promising. Question to you and anyone else with experience on the outer cayes: do you think the lack of AC is likely to be a problem that time of year, or do the trade winds keep things bearable?

James

Great trip report as always, Stoo.

I look forward to the photos, especially the above water ones.

Unfortunately, I don't think I can ever coax my wife into staying at a place without air conditioning.

Great trip report, thank you. My wife and I are considering a trip to Belize this July, and Huracan is one of the places that looks promising. Question to you and anyone else with experience on the outer cayes: do you think the lack of AC is likely to be a problem that time of year, or do the trade winds keep things bearable?

James

While I haven't stayed on the outer cayes, I've always found the constant breeze plenty at night on the coast in Belize (especially if its been a little stormy, it'll be nicely chilled). This is from staying at Caye Caulker, Dangriga, Placencia and PG.

Now if you like it really chilly at night (which I normally do at home, but not in the tropics or on vacation) you might find it a little warm.

BRad

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of AC at night simply because I tend to get congested for some reason. I've stayed at Turneffe three times, and on maybe 2 or 3 days, we ran the AC while we were at dinner, mostly to dehumidify the room a bit. We always turned it off when we went to bed though.

At Huracan, the lodge is set back from the ocean somewhat. The good thing about this is the building is well shaded, so it tends to stay quite cool during the day, and this continues into the evening. The downside, is that there isn't generally much breeze back there. There are fans in the room though. I suppose I might have used the AC a bit, just to help dry out towels etc., but it isn't an issue in March at all...

Would it be in July... maybe. I suspect the humidity might be a bit oppressive...

Back
Top Bottom