Trip Report: Key Largo and Looe Key July 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefduffer

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Executive Summary
Silent World (Dive Op): Recommended
Key Largo Dive Center (Dive Op): Recommended
Looe Key Reef Resort (Dive Op): Recommended for a day trip
Ocean Pointe Suites: Recommended
Getting a little unlucky with the weather: Still better than San Diego diving.

Introduction

My wife and I made our seventh dive trip to Key Largo starting July 12. This was planned for five days of diving, generally very similar to last July's trip reported on here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fl...report-key-largo-looe-key-7-11-7-18-11-a.html

We added a day with a new-to-us operator, Key Largo Dive Center, and only did one day with Silent World, no night or wreck dives, just planned as a short week of easy diving between weeks with my wife's family near Orlando. I'll keep this short and avoid anything covered in last year's trip report.

The biggest difference was the weather: Cloudier, 2-4 degrees or so colder water, and some rougher seas. The third day, Saturday morning, there was some chop and surge on the site on Molasses reef, and my wife, who is prone to motion sickness, lost her breakfast. (Yes, she uses Bonine, and has tried numerous others). She decided to skip the second dive, which I did with the DM, Greg (KLDC).

We were booked with Conch Republic for Sunday and Monday. Saturday afternoon we called them and Brenda said they had cancelled that afternoon's trip, but thought Sunday would be better. But checking the internet weather, my wife decided that at best Sunday would be like Saturday AM, and said she wouldn't be diving, and offered a few options for me. I've been here before, and taking the long view, decided to just thumb the last two days of the trip. We called Brenda back, and she was nice enough to consider that enough notice. Called the Ocean Pointe office, told them we were checking out Sunday morning, and did that without penalty as well.

So, just six dives (five for my wife) this trip. We've been coming to KL in July the last few years for the expected flat seas and warm water, accepting the hurricane risk. Up to now, we've won that bet, this time, not quite so much. But we still got half the trip, not great conditions, still no hurricanes. I'm content, I got back under water for a few dives, we had some fun, and we'll try again for a perfect keys trip next year. Now our focus is on Bonaire in November.

Bottom temps 82-84 degF. Visibility mostly 40-50', 30' on Looe Key.

Mostly the usual fish suspects. Notable over the trip were a group of four large spotted eagle rays swimming single file, a couple of green morays out in the open, and a pretty large spotted scorpionfish on the Benwood. Greg pointed out a little spotted moray head sticking out of a hole in a coral head, he might be 12"long. On Looe Key, a couple of huge rainbow parrots, the size of a midnight parrot, and a gang of about a hundred blue tang.

Dive Operators

One day with Silent World, one of our regulars. I'd requested the Benwood when we booked, and they were able to make that happen, along with Banana reef. We enjoyed the trip. I continue to recommend them highly.

A day trip down to Looe Key Reef Resort, same as last year. Since last July, they've switched to two two-tank trips a day, rather than one three-tank. Actually better for a day trip down from Key Largo for the PM trip; less of a rush, and two tanks is enough of this diving, IMO. They had about the same number of passengers as last year, but only ten divers (and two tanks each vice three) vs. about 25, so it really was a whole lot less crowded.

We had looked at tides but decided they were pretty minimal and weren't an issue. But we've decided not to try Looe Key again unless it's high tide; the vis was pretty bad.

Then, based on discussion here, we'd decided to give Key Largo Dive Center Home a try for one day. To differentiate themselves, they have a 34' boat but limit trips to six divers (we had five), and they put a DM in the water with you, although you can go off on your own if you prefer. Greg was very friendly and helpful, and the policy turned out to be lucky for me when my wife sat out the second dive.

The boat is a little more beat up than others, but not from a safety perspective as far as I could see. It could use a little more gear stowage and handholds, but it worked ok. My wife's attitude was clearly colored by the conditions, so we'll see if they get into our rotation with SW and CR, but I'd be happy to dive with them again.

Sorry we missed out diving with Conch Republic this trip, but we'll be back for sure.

Ocean Pointe Suites

Same as last year, and I think, all things considered, this is now my first choice for KL. A change from last year is that they now have WiFi throughout the complex, but it's $7/day or $39/week for one device. I tried to buy it, but couldn't make the connection with their payment server, and my trouble call to the office was never returned. Then I found a weak open net that was enough for what we needed, and didn't pursue it.

Another change worth noting was that the floors were clean, or at least not dirty.

We ate all meals in the condo, so no restaurant reviews this trip.

Sorry the weather didn't cooperate. I go to the keys every year, and I lost the weather bet this year as well. I also lost my breakfast at whole-in-the-wall reef due to the surge (All the way to the sea floor). I was fine on the boat. Got sick in the water. I also took dramamine the night before and the morning of the dive because I knew the weather was going to be a little rough.

I usually dive KL on my way down to KW. I stay on base in Key West ($100 a night for a 3/1.5 townhouse less than a mile from duval), do a reef and the vandenberg then enjoy the night life. I may try Amy Slate's next time I'm in Key Largo, or rent a house for a week (I hear it's pretty affordable), but Ocean Pointe looks pretty nice.

I'll be in SD in a few weeks for work. I thought about diving, but decided the water is too cold.:cold:

reefduffer,

I too just got back from a week down at Ocean Pointe 7/14 thru 7/20. Probably passed you on your way out.
FYI... the winds died down so Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday were nice. The wind picked up again Thursday, 2-3 footers and got worse the rest of the week.

I've been staying at Ocean Pointe and diving with CRD almost every July for the past 11-12 years.
I enjoy it because you know the accomodations are like staying in someones home and the dive ops are friendly.

Dean

Thnx for sharing, Looe key is tidal

I'd asked my wife to take a picture of this sign at the gate to Ocean Pointe Suites, and she just got around to forwarding it.

One of my favorites for capturing the mood of a dive vacation. After 7 hours on the Florida Turnpike pushing the speed limit as hard as we dare, it just seems perfect, and midweek as a reminder to slow down and smell the seaweed it still makes me smile. And I imagine there are others who've driven even further and harder. Just tickles me, thought I'd share.

Attachments

• OPointeSign.jpeg
    OPointeSign.jpeg
    41.7 KB · Views: 185
We stayed at OP in Dec, 2011. I too really liked that sign, I think I have the same pic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom