trip report - Manatee Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LiteHedded

Contributor
Reaction score
the forum is kinda quiet lately so I figured I'd post a trip report of a dive we did the other day.

We've been exploring in northern florida for quite some time but tropical storm Debbie put a stop to that for the foreseeable future. There will be an article about all that in next month's Quest magazine for those interested.

So with all that shut down, AJ and I decided to head to Manatee Springs. The storm that ruined our exploration project has made Manatee the best I've ever seen it. Crystal clear in the front and no flow to speak of except in the smallest sections of cave.

The dive plan was to take three stages (maybe a scrap of backgas depending on how things looked) and two standard gavin scooters each as far out as we could. We hit the water pretty early (for us) and as soon as we started strapping on stage bottles another diver in the water spotted an argon leak that transformed my argon bottle into a paper weight and my right post was irreparably borked as well. so we fixed all that stuff in the water (standardized gear being the key here) and an hour behind schedule we hit the trigger.

We ran the first stage out to about 1000' or so past Friedman's sink and the second to the "sign" (5000' or so. put there by an old-timer smart ass some years ago). at the second stage drop we stopped to switch to fresh scooters and stages to continue on.

sign.jpg

The cave really looks fantastic now. You can really enjoy it when the water is this clear. In the back of the cave there are a few vertical cracks and T's to negotiate which can be tricky to negotiate with a heavy payload. It gets quite small in spots and has some delicate structures you don't really see in the front of the cave. The line is also highly suspect in spots but all in all it's in pretty good shape. Anyway we turned the show around at about 70 minutes or so at maybe 8500' penetration and started heading out.

I was able to see things that we normally miss with this awesome visibility. I spotted a vertical fissure on the right wall on the way out and tossed my primary scooter at aj to wiggle in and see where it went. went straight up for a good ways before I had to turn it around. percolation was getting nutty and i had way too much gear on to really check it out. not to mention being a teensy bit off the line. maybe an old sinkhole? at our next stage pickup i noticed bones on the floor well upstream of friedmans so it's possible.

anyhoo we continued out pretty uneventfully, after 150 minutes or so on the trigger my finger was begging me to stop.

finger.jpg

we did about 30 mins of o2 deco in the headspring to avoid the duckweed and finished up just in time to load up all the gear in the pouring rain :)

This was also the third dive on my santi heated vest and I have nothing but good things to say about it. it's a life saver if you get wet.

Manatee is always good practice and a lot of fun negotiating the ups and downs and small spots on the scooter.

Dive profile looked like this:
B1lrX.jpg

scuba divers looked like this:

us.jpg

Ok cool. Never know if people enjoy reading these. I do...

Very nice report - thanks for sharing. Sounds like a great dive with the excellent viz. Good stuff.

One of the first times we went to Florida, we came when everything had just gone under -- we got one dive in Upper Orange Grove before they closed Peacock altogether. We were told that's when Manatee was best to dive, so we went down and kicked it. There was, as you report, almost no flow, and the viz was pretty good. It's a dark cave, though! We were on 6ths, so we didn't get too far, but our second dive was the first cave dive Peter and I did together without a more experienced person with us, so we thought it was pretty cool.

I love trip/dive reports, and wish people posted more of them.

Great report, Brian. Appreciate you taking the time to post it.

I was wondering if it might make sense to start a new thread in the DIR forum where people can link to trip reports that they might have posted elsewhere. I know others (myself included) sometimes put up nice reports in more regional forums, but they often go unnoticed unless you have a particular connection to that area and happen to check often. I just found a really nice trip summary TSandM put up this past week about her recent visit to Loreto, MX, but I only stumbled upon it when I posted a thread about our recent trip to La Bufadora, MX in the same (Mexico) forum.

I guess I only put my trip reports in the DIR section if it's a DIR trip . . . Things like our wonderful week on the Tala last year, or the DYFO trips (or the GUE-Seattle weekend at Lake Crescent last week that I couldn't make :( ). Otherwise, I tend to put them in the appropriate location subforum. But I do love trip reports that are full of photographs and/or video of good divers, so the idea of links here is actually a very intriguing one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom