Trip Report - Nassau, Bahamas November 23-28, 2005

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LindaBluedolphin

Resident/Token Treehugger
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Flew down to the Nassau, Bahamas for the Thanksgiving holiday, I really think I am going to start a tradition here of going someplace at that time each year to dive, sure beats sitting at home alone.

I did my research on the area and was only able to locate 2 dive operators (if there are any independents they were well hidden), and after chatting with both operations choose Stuart Coves. They had 2 pricing structures pay in advance and pay once you get there (decent savings to pay in advance, so me, being me, that is exactly what I did).

Transportation
Stuart Coves has a fleet of buses that run out to the various hotels on the island to pick up the divers, my hotel was the 8:15 am stop. The buses are probably 30 person vehicles, which can get quite crowded especially when the center jump seats are down (which allows for the extra capacity). There really isn’t much of a place to stow gear, it just sort of gets piled up in the front of the bus. However considering not everyone on the bus is a diver (they cater to snorkelers, and others as well), and many of the divers did not have their own gear so it could have been worse. When the dives are done the buses return you to your hotel once they return from picking up the afternoon divers. Overall their transportation system is very good, organized, and efficient.

Registration
Once you arrive at the operation you are directed to the registration center which is in the dive shop, this can be quite chaotic with lots of people checking in. The first day was the worst, but the subsequent 3 days it was easier, mostly just went in to tell them you were there and get your boat assignment.

Dive Shop
They sold mostly small odds and ends, T-shirts (huge selection), snacks, drinks and the like, I did not see any really big ticket items although I didn’t ask either so they might have had them elsewhere.

Boats
The boats were great, I was fortunate that none of the boats I was on for the entire 4 days were full, maybe ½ full at best, lots of room to suit up, and move around and a comfortable ride to the dive site. Their procedure was to take your fins off on the current line, hand them up then board the boat. Personally I am a big fan of fin ladders but since that was not an option I followed directions. However on the 2nd day, after I took my fins off I was hanging on the current line and the line came lose (what fun), so I put my fins back on and went to the ladder and did it MY way by hanging on to something on the boat to remove my fins and hand them up.

DM’s, and Other staff
Overall wonderful. However on day #1, I was not terribly impressed with the DM on my first dive day, but the remaining 3 days were a huge improvement. The staff is very courteous and helpful (except the first day when there was no help at all).

Dives
For the most part the DM controlled your bottom time. They shot for about a 35 minute on the first dive, with a short surface interval (personally I would have liked longer intervals between dives), then a second shorter dive. I did usually manage to squeeze out a few extra minutes on each of the dives, but always came up with lots of air, enough for at least 25 more minutes if they would have let me. However I have found most operators these days limit your bottom time, it is rare to fine one at a resort type area that lets you have as much time as you can handle. There is always a DM in the water with you as well as a photographer (purchase of photos are optional)

Day 1
Dive #1
Sliding Anchor
101’ max , 39 minutes I saw a Mahi Mahi (aka Dolphin fish)
28 minute surface interval

Dive #2
Southwest Reef very shallow reef this was probably my least favorite dive of the trip
20’ max, 37 minutes

Day 2
Dive #1
Sea Viking
77’ max, 44 minutes
40 minute surface interval

Dive #2
James Bond Wrecks, artificial reefs which were used in 2 of the James Bond Movies, Never say Never and Thunderball wrecks were “Tears of Aliah and Balkin Balmer” Not sure which was tied to which movie they told us, but I forget and since I have never seen a James Bond movie it really didn’t mean much, but they were awesome structures.
42’ max, 45 minutes

Day 3
Dive #1
Runway This site consisted of several wrecks, Ray of Hope which was AWESOME and Bahama Mama, Treasure Wreck, an Anchor and a shark cage (which was actually removed the next day). We saw several Caribbean Reef sharks on this dive
75’ Max, 41 minutes

41 minute surface interval
Dive #2
Willaurie another wreck and a few other artificial reefs that were placed there
61’ max, 39 minutes

Day 4
Dive #1
Tunnel Wall – swim throughs
79’ max, 41 minutes
35 minute surface interval

Dive #2
Runway – this was such a great dive everyone wanted to go back. Our DM was sort of lost I think, and we stumbled upon the shark dive they normally charge $140 for, at least 23 reef sharks were counted!
63’ max, 41 minutes

Overall I would give Stuart Coves very high marks, even if they are a cattle operation, but for a cattle operation they were great. I would definitely dive with them again and recommend them to anyone headed to Nassau.

LindaBluedolphin:
DivesFor the most part the DM controlled your bottom time. They shot for about a 35 minute on the first dive, with a short surface interval (personally I would have liked longer intervals between dives), then a second shorter dive.QUOTE]

Ouch !!

I'm heading to Nassau for New Years, but I never would have booked it if I'd known that they tried to limit you to such short dives . Is this normal for the Carribean?

Simonspear -

There were only 2 choices in Nassau (If there were independents I sure could not find them). I did locate a few links and email address for independents but they were all dead ends.

I managed to extend my surface intervals by dottling a bit, but not so much as to annoy others. I have noticed this trend in diving for some time, especially when they run 2 trips a day they have their schedule to meet (not saying I agree with that, because I don't, but that is how it is). There are 3 very popular operators here in North Carolina that I simply won't use because of how they run their half day dives, and one operator in South Carolina.

I wonder what experiences others have had with resort type operators and bottom time and surface intervals? I was in Florida last May, and although I don't recall them really controlling my bottom time, they allowed a very pitiful amount of time for a surface interval.

I have my theory on this, beyond the obvious $$$ reasons, but will keep my mouth shout as it is a topic I don't want do debate.

I do hope you have fun in Nassau.

I've been diving in the UK, Europe, Florida, Indian Ocean and Asia and I've never known such a draconian schedule as the one you experienced.

In cold waters and/or for deep dives I can fully understand shorter dives, but with relatively shallow depths in glorious warm waters then to be honest I know that I'm going to feel short changed after this trip if that's what happens.

We are staying at Sandals so most of the diving will be included in our package (from what I've heard maybe another can or worms there??), the only diving we are/were going to do with Stuart Coves would have been the Shark dives. I just hope this is not what I experience :(

Thanks for the head up.

Best Regards, Simon

I was in Nassau last week and did three days with SC (two four tank days and one two tank day). I did the shark dive one afternoon and the times for those dives were a little longer than that - though not by much. For each of my other dives, my experience was very similar to LindaBluedolphin.

The first dive from each set was usually 80-100 feet and targeted each dive for 35 min - though my buddy and I occasionally stayed down and poked around the reef under the boat for 5-10 min and then did our safety stop after the main group started their stop. The DM never said anything to us about it. We still ended up back on the boat with 1,000 - 1,400 PSI most dives.

The second dives from each set were all shallower (25-50') and self directed - which was cool. I actually hadn't had a chance to do a lot of navigation since finishing my advanced. For the second dives we were usually given an hour or more of bottom time if we wanted it. I tried to be one of the first in and one of the last out to maximize the dive time.

I was diving with my computer which I've adjusted to an even more conservative setting, so I wasn't terribly concerned about the length of the surface intervals. I used the planning function and set it to a depth 20 feet below the planned depth before each dive to make sure I'd be OK and it consistently told me I'd have way more bottom time than I needed - so it looked to me like the intervals were more than adequate. This trip I didn't calculate my pressure groups manually with the wheel or RDP tables to verify which I usually do and probably should have done.

In terms of numbers, depending on the day I was out some days with 6 people and others with as many as 20-25. There is no question they would take out 25 on each boat if they had enough people willing to pay.

I also did a day with Bahama Divers which was the only other operation I could find in Nassau - they do runs out to the Blue Hole which SC don't. I felt like I was being treated like a child. The waters were pretty calm, but they still forced us to sit on a platform at the back of the boat while they got us our rigs, had us put them on there and then enter the water. Then they forced us to take off our rigs in the water and pass them up instead of just coming up the ladder.

It looked to me like both ops were really targeted for cruiseships and beginners. If you're an advanced diver looking for a great trip there are a lot of places I'd rather go than Nassau. If you're a beginner and want to get some more experience in a safe, supportive environment or you are already going to be there for a wedding (like I was) or something and just want to get wet, I found both SC and Bahama Divers to be just fine.

I found the transportation to be pretty good. I was staying on cable beach, so they picked up around 8:15 and back by 1:00 for morning dives and picked up around 12:25 and back by 5:00 for afternoon dives. Stuart Coves departure is on the South West corner of the island, so it's about 25 min from cable beach, but probably 20-25 min longer to and from Atlantis / Paradise Island. Bahama Divers is located right at the bridge to Paradise Island, so it's a much shorter drive from there but a longer trip from Cable Beach.

The length of the second dives makes me feel a little better, thanks for the info.

Well the trip is booked now so I'll have to wait and see what happens. Our main reason for choosing Nassau was that it was a good location to be able to meet up with relatives from North America for New Years and also a good chance to check out the Wrecks and Carribean Reef Sharks and the Turks and Caicos was already booked up!

Lindabluedolphin,
Thanks for the report; it was the straw that pushed me into changing my destination altogether. I hate cattle boats! I hate short bottom times! I hate long crowded rides to and from the boat! I hate babysitter DM's. I almost booked SC and the Rui Paradice Island Resort for Feb. As soon as I'm done writing this thank you to you, I'll be searching out another destination for my winter trip. whew! that was a close one!

Driznik:
I found the transportation to be pretty good. I was staying on cable beach, so they picked up around 8:15 and back by 1:00 for morning dives and picked up around 12:25 and back by 5:00 for afternoon dives. Stuart Coves departure is on the South West corner of the island, so it's about 25 min from cable beach, but probably 20-25 min longer to and from Atlantis / Paradise Island. Bahama Divers is located right at the bridge to Paradise Island, so it's a much shorter drive from there but a longer trip from Cable Beach.

Driznik,

Where were you staying? We were at the Wyndham, I am thinking we were probably there about the same time. I was on the White Bungie for 3 of my 4 dive days. I would be easy to spot, I had the HOT PINK ScubaPro Twin Jets!

Barracuda,

Glad I could be of help. Overall they were not a bad operator and like Driznik said they really cater to more the beginner or Cruise Ship diver. However if you want long bottom times, there are other places to go.

Moooooo! I had a similar experience with Stuart Cove's several years ago. It was fine when I was a relative air hog and my dives were short anyway but now I would be upset to pay that kind of money and be limited to a half hour under water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom