Trip Report - Nassau, Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AbobA

Reaction score
This may be a bit long for a first post, but I spent a lot of time on ScubaBoard researching the trip and thought I should share the results of my trip. We had a blast and would definitely go back again!

Trip Report – Nassau Bahamas – August 2004

Hotel: Holiday Inn, Junkanoo Beach
I was worried about this hotel after reading the review on ScubaBoard with a 50/50 split between good and bad reviews. At $80/night it isn’t a five-star facility, but we found it comfortable and clean (the filthy rugs mentioned in other posts were changed while we were there). Both the desk staff and maids were helpful and courteous. Both pools were clean and attended by a lifeguard with towels provided for the pools and the beach. The refrigerator in the room and nearby grocery store kept the overall bill down as we could look after our own breakfasts and lunches. My biggest complaint was the ‘Energy Tax’ ($5/day) and tip for the maid ($3.25/person/day) that were added to the bill automatically.

Beach: Junkanoo Beach
Directly across Bay Street from the Holiday Inn with a crossing at the stoplight, Junkanoo has a great view of the harbour and the cruise ship dock. Not too many tourists here (I suspect they were on Cable Beach, just up the road) more of a haunt for the locals. The beach has change rooms, chair and umbrella rentals as well as water, juice and snack carts. The beach itself has a band of larger coral pieces at the high tide mark and another at the water’s edge, but the water is clean and calm and marked off to keep the boats and other watercraft at bay.

Dive Shop: Bahama Divers
After looking at the options and consulting the ScubaBoard for advice, I chose Bahama Divers on the basis of a good reputation and reasonable price (we got another day’s diving, 12 dives instead of 10, for the price we’d have paid at Stuarts Cove). They run two vessels; Dreadnaught II and Dreadnaught IV with two-tank AM dives and a single tank PM dive each day. Dive descriptions are found at http://www.bahamadivers.com/sites.htm. My favourites were the Lost Blue Hole and the Mahoney Wreck with Lighthouse Reef close behind (it was a blast weaving in and out of the breakwater blocks – it would make a super night dive).

The crew was great and looked after us well on every dive. Briefings were clear and straightforward with most days consisting of a wreck (deeper dive) and a reef dive (shallower). The only scare I had was when my BC disappeared from their lockup between dives. I hung it after diving Friday and it was gone Sunday – turns out one of the new crew rented it out for the weekend. I’m not sure how you could mistake a HUB for one of their inexpensive rentals, but I did get it back and made a deal with the shop to use the proceeds from the rental as a tip for the rest of the crew.

If I had to do it again, I think I would have split my time between Bahama Divers and Stuarts Cove simply to see the other end of the island. Stuart’s was an extra half hour’s travel each way and slightly more expensive, but they work the sites on the SW side of the island compared to Bahama Divers concentrating on the N and NE quadrants.

Restaurants:
As in most countries, stay away from the hotel restaurants. Conch Fritters was our favourite followed by several restaurants at ‘Fish Fry’ where the locals hang out. Senior Frogs was the same as it is everywhere – good food and entertainment, but the prices were a bit high. Taverna Italia had one of the best snapper dishes I’ve had and the Poop Deck served wonderful grouper fingers. We also ate Greek and Chinese and got to Dominos, MacDonalds and Subway to keep the kids happy.

My biggest peeve with the restaurants is having the tip automatically added to the bill before it is presented to you. Note: Restaurants at ‘Fish Fry’ didn’t add the tip, cost half as much and served excellent food.

Transportation:
The hotel is located in downtown Nassau, within walking distance of most hotels, restaurants and shopping – even Paradise Island isn’t too far away. For those not interested in walking, a taxi will get you most places for $3 to $4 per person, the bus is a great deal at $1 and the water taxi will get you to and from Paradise Island for $3 each way. All of the dive shops I investigated pick up and drop off at your hotel.

Shopping:
I’m not the shopper in the family, but my wife found lots to keep her busy while my son and I were diving. The hotel is a few blocks from the ‘Straw Market’, an open market selling everything from t-shirts to hand carved statues. There were more than enough souvenir shops, jewelry stores, clothing shops and art galleries to keep my wife and daughter busy for two weeks.

Banking:
The hotel would cash one $20. travelers cheques per day so I was pleased to find a Bahamian branch of my local bank here in Canada (ScotiaBank) just down the street from the hotel. I noticed a couple of other Canadian banks and the Bahamas Bank on the street, but didn’t check them out as I already had full access to my account.

Aboba thanks so much for that report. I'm heading there at the end of nov. and staying at the same place the Holiday Inn. Now where is Bahama Divers located? is it near the hotel? and would you recommend using them? I was planning on using Dive Dive Dive which i've heard that is great. So, was the diving really good? is it worth? My stepson might be going, he still hasn't decided he is a newly certified member and if he goes that would be his first real open water adventure.

Welcome to Scubaboard! So. . .what was the diving like? Did you see anything good?

Scuba65,
From the posts on SB, I'm sure Dive,Dive,Dive will treat you well. Bahama Divers provided a deeper discount for multi-day bookings that I took advantage of on this trip - I'm new to diving and felt the extra experience would be a plus. The feedback I had from others at the hotel who used Stuarts Cove was also positive.

The diving was good and my son and I really enjoyed ourselves. Don't be afraid to let the crew know that your stepson is newly certified and they'll give him just that little bit of extra attention that he might need. We are both new to the sport and found that BD looked after us well.

The diving in Nassau is great, but I must admit we were spoiled by an even better trip to Belize in July (5 days jungle trekking/caving and 5 days scuba). There were quite a few spotted eagle rays and Moray Eels and even one large nurse shark around the wrecks. The reefs had huge schools of fish to swim through, but the DM's kept saying it hasn't been the same since the Atlantis Resort set up their aquarium and started netting all the fish to stock it. It might be worth trying the operators on the SW side of the island to see what's there.

After all this warm water and fantastic visibility I'm not sure I'm ready to go back to a full wetsuit, 15ft vis and 12C water.

Oh, that's great thanks for the report an answering my questions. Well, if the stepson goes he will be diving with us...his dad and myself we've been diving for over 12 yrs. so, we will be keeping and eye on him also. I can't wait to go now. We are looking next yr. to going to Belize for some diving..and that i know will be really good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom