Trip Report Trip Report; NJ Stolt Degali 07/17/23

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob.mwpropane

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't written any trip reports in a while and I think NJ gets overlooked by a lot of people. It's a little colder and darker then most people would prefer... but it is pretty magical if you're up for it. I try to get out there at least once a month if weather cooperates (so it's a 50/50 shot!)

Took a trip on Monday (said the hell with work!) to the Stolt Digali on the Independence II with South Jersey Scuba. Arrived at the pier at 6:15, loaded up and pulled out at 7. Took a little over an hour to get there (I think I heard it's an 18 mile trip?). The Indy is a nice boat, it's even nicer when 3 people didn't show up and there was plenty of room. 1st splash was 8:30. 128' deep in ~ 53F water. Did 2 dives, 63 and 66 minutes (with about ~ 20 min deco each dive).

You can read about the Stolt online but basically it's 1/2 a ship. It's a real wreck (not purposefully sunk for an artificial reef). The wreck starts at about 60' and goes to 130' on the sand. Plenty to see even if you want to stay within NDL's. Tons of life, eels, fish, crabs, starfish, etc. The wreck is rusty so plenty of holes to get into and explore. A few guys came home with dinner, sadly I wasn't one of them. I did snag some tasty mussels.

This was by far the best ocean dive I've had this year. Conditions were perfect, almost glass for the 2nd dive. Viz was 30-40? (but I'm horrible at gauging that). If I could do it I would do this dive plenty more times, just so much to explore. One of the mates on the boat even came up with some vinegar? bottles from when the ship went down, very cool find.

Pictures are not mine but have been posted elsewhere from that day. Captain, crew, and fellow divers were all great. Really fun crowd, even for the less experienced on the boat. About as laid back as you can get.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1689778952573.jpg
    FB_IMG_1689778952573.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 97
  • FB_IMG_1689778957747.jpg
    FB_IMG_1689778957747.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 107
  • FB_IMG_1689778964428.jpg
    FB_IMG_1689778964428.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 112
  • FB_IMG_1689872700480.jpg
    FB_IMG_1689872700480.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 91
  • FB_IMG_1689872707347.jpg
    FB_IMG_1689872707347.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 92
When did 5 photos become a limit?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1689872713826.jpg
    FB_IMG_1689872713826.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 92
  • FB_IMG_1689872770237.jpg
    FB_IMG_1689872770237.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 99
Nice review. I see one diver wearing a wetsuit. I guess diveable in late summer for us poor souls without a drysuit.

Nice review. I see one diver wearing a wetsuit. I guess diveable in late summer for us poor souls without a drysuit.
It's 54F so I guess it's anyone's call. 70F @ 25' and anything 20' on up is 73F.

That little dude in the wetsuit was with his dad, youngest diver I've seen in NJ (in my very limited experience). Looked awesome in the water. Everyone else was dry. If anything I was a little too warm, but better than too cold, lol.

Great report thanks for the write up! I'm always eager to read more about NJ dives.

That is seriously impressive that kid made the dive. I think I saw on FB he was 11? My kids are 10 and I can't imagine that. Especially with my own struggles on my first NJ dive.

Great report thanks for the write up! I'm always eager to read more about NJ dives.

That is seriously impressive that kid made the dive. I think I saw on FB he was 11? My kids are 10 and I can't imagine that. Especially with my own struggles on my first NJ dive.

His dad is a friend of mine. Good guy, great diver. The boy is on par with something like 50 dives this year? They def worked up to this one, he's done NJ quite a bit before also. They stayed more shallow.

Idk.. I had 1 kid that was great at that age and another really wasn't ready when he reached that point.. they're all different.

Yeah my one son is interested, but I don't think physically capable (he's a little peanut). My other son is quite a bit bigger/stronger but not really interested in scuba. I may coax them into some sorta discover scuba/bubblemaker program if I can find one locally.

Yeah my one son is interested, but I don't think physically capable (he's a little peanut). My other son is quite a bit bigger/stronger but not really interested in scuba. I may coax them into some sorta discover scuba/bubblemaker program if I can find one locally.
That's what we did. Discover scuba and then signed them up for the real thing. We have 4 boys so I waited until they could all take the class together. (They were 24, 18, 15, and 11 at the time).

It was probably the best summer ever. We camped at Dutch Springs while they did their checkout dives and then just dove as much as we could. Sadly of the 4 either 1 or 2 might jump in here and there but more often then not they don't. It's ok, the deal was get your card and then you can pick it up whenever you want. I won't force it on them.

My oldest 2 enjoy diving for oysters in the Bay go figure, lol.

Back
Top Bottom