Trip Report - Presidente July 12-16 (Long)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even_Stephen

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I just got back from my our first trip to Coz. Here are the details...

Getting there: Flew USAirways from Knoxville, TN with a connection in Charlotte. Very late leaving Knoxville, but made the flight to Coz. Charlotte is a pretty easy airport to get through even when changing concourses. Flight to Coz was on a nice new Airbus (A319, I think, about the size of a 737), on time with about 2:30 flight time. Jam packed plus the obligatory screaming infant and, interestingly, several teen newlywed couples.

Cozumel Airport: The nicest Caribbean airport I've ever been in. New, clean, and well air conditioned. Nicer than most U.S. airports I've been in. Immigration and customs were a breeze. They use a "press this button and do what the light says" system to decide whether to inspect your baggage or not. They didn't inspect ours. BEWARE: After customs, you are free to go get your ground transportation. My package advised me to look for Lomas travel. However, I was intercepted by a friendly guy who said that the van wouldn't be here for 5 minutes or so. He started showing me stuff on a map, etc. Finally figured out it was a timeshare pitch for the El Cid la Cieba. Thanks a lot. Ditched him and found a Lomas rep. Nice air conditioned van that only stopped twice before getting us to the Presidente. As others have pointed out, one cannot take a taxi FROM the airport - only the shuttle service.

Presidente: A really great place. Super, super service by everybody we came in contact with (with one minor exception). We were 2 hours early for check in, but they had a room ready. Offered us a choice of 2 doubles or a king. We paid for a garden view room (the least expensive) and that's what we got. But it was a great room. Clean with a capital 'C'. Huge. Rather sparsely furnished, but plenty of drawers and closet space. Excellent air conditioning and water pressure. Bellman advised us that all ice on the property was made with purified water, but not to drink the tap water. Hotel supplies one 1.5 liter bottle of water per day, after that one is on one's own. Mini-bar in room, but no separate fridge and no in-room safes. We were on the ground floor and had an aboslutely wonderful patio. Large and open with table, chairs and loungers. Room key opened both front and patio doors. Very convenient. Patio overlooked a large grassy area with palm trees. Quiet and relaxing. The room also had a strange but useful second patio on the other side of the room. A sliding glass door opened to a five-by-ten or so patio surrounded on all sides by walls at least 12 feet high. No way in or out except the single door. Perfect place to dry dive gear. Otherwise, useless. The "fancy" restaurant was closed for renovation (looks like it's going to be an Italian place). The open-air restaurant (and a snack bar) were open. Breakfast buffet was included with our room. It was very good. Omlet station plus a variety of American and Mexican breakfast foods. We also ate a couple of lunches there and dinner once. Food was quite good and pretty reasonably priced for a high-end resort. Terrific service. For the record, Cokes cost $3.50 and beer is $4.00. The only service problem we had at the hotel was the Concierge. The Concierge desk was unmanned much of the time. However, when it was occupied, the young lady there was really quite a dimwit. There is just a small, though nice, manmade sand beach at the Presidente that goes all the way into the sea. However, they build a sandy strip the entire length of the property on top of the ironshore. It's really quite nice. They also built several piers with ladders into the sea along the ironshore. Makes for easy entry/exit into deep water for swimming/snorkling. And the snorkling was pretty dang good. Saw the biggest cuttlefish I've ever encountered plus lots of parrotfish and others. Some decent corals heads and sponges in this area.

How was the diving?: Dandy! I went on 6 dives and all were great. We used the on-site operator, Scuba Du. Viz was about 100ft and water temperature was 80 degrees on all dives. We dove without wetsuits and were just fine. We dove Santa Rosa Wall, Tormentos, Columbia Wall, San Francisco, Palancar Bricks, and Yucab Reef. My wife and I agreed that San Francicso was our favorite dive. We saw our first (and second!) seahorse and the biggest hermit crab ever on that dive. I also saw a spendid toadfish at Yucab.

Continued ...

How was Scuba Du?:
Boats - A Well maintained and clean and not overcrowded
On Time - A+ On time, every time, no island time
Crew - B Crew sets up your gear like it or not
Divemasters - A Good briefings, safety is emphasized
Retail operation - F The pits. Doesn't really have a dive shop per se. Pushes very hard to sell you multi-day packages. After our first dive, they told us that they were full for the rest of the time we would be there (punishment?) I asked them what operator they would recommend instead. Suddenly, they found space for us. Also, they charge a 10 percent surcharge for credit cards. That's too high! I can understand up to 5 percent, but not more than that. That's got to be some kind of cash skim for the Cozumel mafia or to hide receipts from the tax man.

Musings on other dive operators: We saw all manner of other dive boats, some of which picked up from the Presidente dock. Of the ones that I could see well enough to form an impression of... Dive House sure had nice looking large boats and Papa Hog's sure had fast boats that didn't look very nice. There was another operator that I can't remember the name of (Holiday Fiesta maybe?) that was the epitome of cattle boat. Moo! Big boat but with way WAY more people than the law should allow. A fellow diver told me that they are a big operator out of Cancun, if that helps anyone identify the culprit.

How was the food?: Pretty dang good. Mentioned above that we ate a number of meals at the Presidente. However, we ate dinner in San Miguel 3 times. Taxi for 2 is $5 each way. We ate at La Choza, La Veranda, and Los Dorados de Villa. I picked La Choza based on recommendations on this board. All I can think of to say is ... are you people who liked should stop smoking crack! The place is not particularly clean, the food is not particularly good, and the service wasn't as good as anywhere else we ate. It wasn't very expensive, but it wasn't very good, either. We really liked La Veranda. Varied menu that speciallized in seafood. We dined in a nice open courtyard in back. Super service. Talked to the owner a bit. She is an ex-pat American, very gracious. I saw the kitchen. CLEAN! Restrooms were also CLEAN! Los Dorados de Villa is one of those places in the main plaza that uses carnival barkers to get the cruise shippers in. Well, we liked the looks of the place and the menu so we tried it. Very good. Cerveza is $2.50. Score!

How 'bout the mosquitoes and flys?: Didn't see any. Maybe they still use DDT in Mexico. In any case, we were not bothered either at the Presidente or in San Miguel.

Cost cutting tip: On all travels, my wife and I pack a folding Igloo cooler big enough for a 12-pack. Then we look to buy beer cheaper than the resort and keep it on ice. You are all set once you get to San Miguel. Once you get a block off the main plaza, every street has one or more "Mini Super" stores, as they are called. In them you will find several brands of beer, plus bottled water and soft drinks for cheap. If you don't need beer, you can get water and soft drinks at the many farmacias (drug stores) for a good price. Plenty of stores also sell liquor, but it's hard to find anything other than tequila.

Money: I got some pesos from an ATM in town, but it wasn't necessary. Every place we went took dollars and would give change in pesos or dollars with no problem.

Language barrier: Nada. Everybody we delt with knew enough English or I knew enough Espanol (ha ha, I don't know any Spanish!) to conduct business. I even learned a few phases. One that you will need is, "La cuenta, por favor." This means, "Check please". It became obvious that the custom is not to bring the check until asked. So ask.

Cerveza: My wife and I love beer and found a couple of new favorites in Coz. So stop drinking that Corona swill for a second and give Superior and Sol a try. Tecate, Modelo, Pacifico, and Dos Equis is also widely available.

How was the weather?: Major thurderstorm every day at 2:00pm for about an hour. So it never got too hot. Electricity never went off.

Departure: Lomas travel was supposed to have a rep at the Presidente to schedule our return to the airport on the shuttle. They never showed up. So we just took a cab for $10. No big deal, but irritating. (Lomas apparently is the local transportation agent for USAirways vacation, which is who I booked our trip through via the USAir web site.) We left the hotel 2.5 hours before our flight (Bellman shook my hand and said "See you next year". Nice touch.) That was way more than enough time. Mexican version of TSA must hand search all checked luggage, which takes time, so keep that in mind. Otherwise, taking one's carry-ons and one's self through security is the same as in the USA. Gate area is nice with good A/C, a bar, and a couple of duty-free shops. Flight out was on time (and wasn't full on a Friday).

Did anybody get sick?: Yep. My wife missed our 3rd morning diving with an upset stomach. She was fine by the afternood, though. She is pretty sensitive to change in diet, which we certainly had. I, Mr. Cast Iron Stomach, woke up the day after we got back with a fever and the runs. I'm just now starting to feel better. I don't get it. We only drank bottled water, only used ice from the resort. I ate nothing with raw veggies in it, though my wife did. Oh well ...

Would we go back?: Ask me this question in a day or two when I'm feeling better. Actually, yes, we would go back. We had a great time. Great resort, great diving, good snorkle, good food, muy bueno cerveza, and the best level of service we've ever had anywere. Friendly people who obiviously know that their survival depends on tourists.

That is all.

Steve

Okay, that wasn't all. I wanted to mention that clearing immigration and customs in Charlotte is easy, breezy, beautiful. I'm used to going though that Miami cesspool. Charlotte is way better. Friendly officers and no long distances to traverse. Probably because USAir is the only international operator there and they don't fly to any of the thug-prone counties. Not a real big fan of USAir, but they've got a pretty sweet flight to/from Coz and it's easy to get back in country.

Steve

GREAT REPORT, STEVE!!

We just came back from there on the july 4th weekend...i can second all you said about the pres....we really, really enjoyed the breakfast buffet....

you should've asked though....we got a free room upgrade and the buffet for frreeeeeeeee...

and yes, la choza was ok to us, but we expected so much more....i think next time we will try casa denis...heard that was good...

as for the sunday night festival.....it was OK. not too impressed......i think we'd be better off just relaxing at the hotel...

thanks for the report!

ps> have you stayed at the occidental grand? i asked all the locals i could, what would be the better hotel than the pres....they all said the occidental grand (a few said the iberostar...)

any pics?!?!?

-dan

Even_Stephen:
I, Mr. Cast Iron Stomach, woke up the day after we got back with a fever and the runs. I'm just now starting to feel better. I don't get it. We only drank bottled water, only used ice from the resort. I ate nothing with raw veggies in it, though my wife did.
Steve

Did you brush your teeth with tap water? I made that mistake back in March, drank bottled water, etc, but didn't think twice about brushing with the tap water. I learned my lesson! Going back in two weeks, tap water will be for washing hands and showering only!

Dan, breakfast buffet was free for me already. I got the impression that it's free for everybody. Didn't ask for a room upgrade. However, I can't imagine that we'd have liked another room better. We just loved our giant ground-floor patio. We just don't care about an ocean view.

Danny, we only used bottled water for tooth brushing. What gets me is that my wife is the one who is very sensitive to stomach problems, not me. While she did have an upset one morning, it wasn't anything like what I came down with. The only thing she did different is that she drank more margaritas than me. Tequila = cure-all?

Even_Stephen:
How was the food?: Pretty dang good. Mentioned above that we ate a number of meals at the Presidente. However, we ate dinner in San Miguel 3 times. Taxi for 2 is $5 each way. We ate at La Choza, La Veranda, and Los Dorados de Villa. I picked La Choza based on recommendations on this board. All I can think of to say is ... are you people who liked should stop smoking crack!

Different strokes... I like La Choza quite a bit; the fish in mustard sauce is one of my faves. No crack, I swear!

Cost cutting tip: On all travels, my wife and I pack a folding Igloo cooler big enough for a 12-pack. Then we look to buy beer cheaper than the resort and keep it on ice. You are all set once you get to San Miguel. Once you get a block off the main plaza, every street has one or more "Mini Super" stores, as they are called. In them you will find several brands of beer, plus bottled water and soft drinks for cheap. If you don't need beer, you can get water and soft drinks at the many farmacias (drug stores) for a good price. Plenty of stores also sell liquor, but it's hard to find anything other than tequila.

My suitcase is a rolling igloo cooler long enough to hold my fins. Chedraui has good prices on beer, too, and they have a lot more liquor than just tequila, as do most of the liquor stores. There are a few that have seen that are mostly tequila stores, but that's not the norm.

Cerveza: My wife and I love beer and found a couple of new favorites in Coz. So stop drinking that Corona swill for a second and give Superior and Sol a try. Tecate, Modelo, Pacifico, and Dos Equis is also widely available.

Next time try Leon Negra <Homer Simpson gurgling drooling noise>.

Cheers,

Even_Stephen:
I wanted to mention that clearing immigration and customs in Charlotte is easy, breezy, beautiful. I'm used to going though that Miami cesspool. Charlotte is way better. Friendly officers and no long distances to traverse. Probably because USAir is the only international operator there and they don't fly to any of the thug-prone counties. Not a real big fan of USAir, but they've got a pretty sweet flight to/from Coz and it's easy to get back in country.

Steve

Amen to that.

Hey Steve,

Based on the timing of your stomach upset, it was probably something you ate on the plane ride home, or at the airport in Charlotte. What did you eat during your return home that your wife did not? Figure it out and you've probably identified the culprit.

I agree with your assessment of transiting Charlotte and the awesome experience at the El Presidente. I was there in late May for a week and it was great. I'm ready to go back!

As far as eating out, my favorite was Casa Denis. The squash side dish was the best-tasting item I've had in years!

Keith

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom