Trip Report: Scuba Junkie Komodo (Nov-Dec 16)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pughio83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This trip report is long overdue but i thought i would share some reflections and experiences from this trip, slightly summarised.

So the trip was started with Qatar airlines from Manchester to Jakarta, with an overnight stay at our usual place FM7 (the food there is amazing and is close to the airport). An early morning flight to Bali with Lion air followed by Bali to Flores with Wings air (2hr layover) was no hassle. Baggage allowance was 10kg per person : we had approx 75kg between us - so we paid the excess which worked out at around £18 total which was pretty good in my opinion.

Scuba Junkie Komodo:

So we decided to use scuba junkie komodo based on recommendations from friends in Bali. They were well organised and were very helpful in organising the trip from the uk via email. They picked us up at labuan bajo airport and took us to their office there. We had lunch locally before the boat took us out to the resort (1.5hrs). The resort is nestled away in a bay on flores southwest, so i guess not technically within the national park but as close as you will get if not staying at the Komodo resort. The resort was clean and well laid out. Being a fairly new resort there were small issues, like unfinished paths which in heavy rain became very mud and slippy but these were minor issues. The staff there on the whole were very nice and very accommodating (bar one dive master intern who caused some issues). The food to be honest was very good, with different food each night over the 8 nights were stayed there, including an italian pizza night. The post dive snacks were very good and the lunch and breakfast on the boats were very good too. We had the sea view cottage which was simple but clean. The fans worked well at keeping the room cool but at times became a bit stuffy. The room is only cleaned on request as it is an eco resort so bear that in mind. There were quite a lot of bugs in the resort so insect repellent is a must. It would have been nice to have a water station at the top near the cottages so you didn't have to trek down the path to the restaurant. The lounge area was chilled with hammocks and bean bags around, overlooking a tranquil bay with a small dark sand beach. If you take a walk up the hill you can get lovely views especially of sunsets. Drinks like beer and soft drinks, wine all available. No wifi bar in the office which would be nice one day.

The diving was well organised in general and our gear was well looked after. Dive safety was paramount and this was emphasised in the thorough dive briefs. The boat was one of the best day boats i have been on, well designed and had a great lounging area up top. This made the cruises through the national park blissful, and allowed seeing the likes of mantas and dolphins all the easier. Food on board was very good - pancakes, fruits, breads, jams peanut butter and eggs for breakfast. Lunches were mostly indonesian and very tasty, usually rice/noodles/egg/meat/fish etc.

The diving itself was excellent. We dove mostly the central and northern sites. Fortunately we were lucky to have a dive friend as a guide (Fadley), who we dived with previously in Ambon. He is an excellent macro spotter and highlighted the quality of the macro in Komodo. The other guides were also very good and found excellent critters, especially Solomon. Subjects like flamboyant cuttlefish, pughead coral pipefish, psychedelic mandarinfish, psychedelic batwing slug, various frogfish, ambon scorpionfish, Saron shrimp, and Harlequin shrimp made appearances. The best sites were probably Siaba Besar and Wainilu for macro. Then you have the delights of the manta rays - Sites like Mawan and Manta point (Karang Makassar) didn't disappoint - snorkelling with 25+ mantas or diving with similar numbers was brilliant. The visilbity varied from 10m-30m depending on the sites, and temps were usually 28C with some thermoclines. We also saw the odd grey reef, white tip or black tip shark. The coral diversity was world class, probably the best hard/soft coral sites i have ever seen.

The weather was 50% sunny 30% rainy and 20% overcast during our 8days. Some days it rained all day, others sunny all day but it almost always rained between 4-7pm at the resort.

We did an optional flying fox tour which was nice and relatively cheap, and the komodo dragon tour was included in the package we took. Personally i would consider a very late flight if possible on your leaving day as it would have been nice to do the 6hr trek around the Komodo island looking for the dragons- instead we were restricted to only 2hrs on the island. We flew on to our second destination in Ambon (DIA- see trip report).

Overall the stay was very well received. The diving was phenomenal. The staff on the whole are very nice although i think both guides we had have now left i think. Rohan and Carys were very friendly and ran a well oiled setup. The food was excellent especially given its location. The boat was excellent. The resort was great overall, especially when you look at the prices (think we paid £900 approx for 8D7N with flights, taxes etc) in the sea view cottage. I would definitely go back but would aim to try and dive the south so would go earlier in the year.

Some pictures :

Attachments

• PC010154.jpg
    PC010154.jpg
    385.1 KB · Views: 78
  • PC010160.jpg
    PC010160.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 88
  • PC020247.jpg
    PC020247.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 83
  • PC020241.jpg
    PC020241.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 81
  • PC040514.jpg
    PC040514.jpg
    487.5 KB · Views: 85
  • PC030320.jpg
    PC030320.jpg
    445.6 KB · Views: 93
  • PC030374.jpg
    PC030374.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 98
  • PC030410.jpg
    PC030410.jpg
    424.2 KB · Views: 87
  • PC030413.jpg
    PC030413.jpg
    517.6 KB · Views: 88
I really enjoyed ready your trip report and the photos are fantastic...thanks for sharing that part of the world.

Brilliant ort , thanks for sharing. One question...so you remember if the water in the shower was salt or freshish ?

Brilliant ort , thanks for sharing. One question...so you remember if the water in the shower was salt or freshish ?
I am pretty sure it was fresh water. A boat comes in daily carrying large volumes of water I think i was told. Cold water of course.

I am pretty sure it was fresh water. A boat comes in daily carrying large volumes of water I think i was told. Cold water of course.
Brilliant...many thanks xx

Nice report
SJ runs a great operation, I've been 2x and they are always making improvements.
I think I saw they fixed pathway, and I heard rumors of a few rooms with A/C coming online but haven't seen it mentioned on facebook. Rohan and Carys were on a little getaway when I was there so I didn't get the lowdown from them. They could use a better system to have colder beer, when the generator is off during the day it's hard to cool down the beer.

Most of their guides are excellent, I like the fact that they are Indonesians. Solomon is a top notch spotter, and he may have just been taking a break, he is a FB friend and he just got the SJ logo tattooed on his back. This last trip I dove with Yadi mostly and he's a really good spotter and shows potential to be great.

glad you enjoyed Komodo it's one of my favorite dive destinations.

You mentioned mantas, and posted pics of a range of macro subjects (nice shots!), and mentioned a few sharks. Much other 'medium to large' stuff? I'm thinking from the size of a blue-striped grunt (near a foot long) to black grouper (3-4 feet) size.

Just trying to get a sense of how much mid-size life you saw.

Richard.

Mid-size fellow tend to get less attention!!
In couple of dive sites that I have been in Komodo, the population of good size grouper was amazing!! They even swam out to the mid water instead of lurking around the rock or big sea fan!!! Most impressive. I could only imagine that they do not get hunt there. There are big Maori Wresse as well.

Mid-size fellow tend to get less attention!!

Good to know! Ironically, for a casual 'point and shoot' snap shooter like me, the medium-size are often the most practical to photo. They don't require the skill to find, hover, get in very close and get lighting right that some macro subjects presumably do, and are often more numerous than the really big stuff.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom