Trip Report - Sunshine Coast - Pics at bottom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warthaug

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Last week I picked the lock & unchained myself from the lab bench, and finally got out for a bit of diving. A 2-day (well, 2 half-days) drive to us to Powell River, located on Canada's sunshine coast. Due to poor planning on our part (no one bothered to take into account that the only dive shop was closed on Mondays) we spent the first day drinking and playing mini golf. Apparently we also bowled; but I have no memories of the events in question...

The next day we grabbed some tanks and headed off to the most "famous" site in Powell River, Mermaid Cove. The cove isn't known for its life, but rather for a statue of a mermaid sunk there by a local artist. Normally the site has a buoy making the mermaid, but winter storms had destroyed it (along with the entry ramp and a small wreck). Going on a set of old notes we managed to find the mermaid. Unlike the first time I visited I didn't find the site particuarily interesting - you've got a statue, a small (15') ship wreck (nothing much left but a keel) and not much else. A few photo's and we surfaced. After surfacing we realized we had made yet another idiotic bit of planning - we'd paired our two newbies together, and they completely missed the site.

Ooops.

We then headed 1km down the road to "octopus city". This time we hooked up the newbies with an experienced partner and headed off. Unfortunately we didn't spot any of the sites namesakes, but the dive was not a disappointment - sea fans fringed the outer edge of the reef, and within the reef their was an amazing number of sponges, anemones, etc, to keep us interested. All to soon the newbies sucked down all their air, so we returned to shore.

First day done - steak & beer rounded out the day.

The next day we headed north, to the Okenover arms. Our goal was to hit two small wrecks. I'd write more, but this is all the mention this site is worth - there was two small wrecks, but vis was crap, so not much else was seen.

We then headed to the Malahat, a wreck of a schooner that used to run booze into the US during prohibition. The wreck now sits in 40-80' of water; half-buried on its side. We'd tried to hit this on a past trip, and missed it completely. This trip we got proper instructions and found the site right-off. This site is now in my top 10. Much of the wreck has disintegrated, but the ribbing is still intact, as is some of the siding. In among the wreckage is an intense amount of life. Some of the biggest lingcod I've ever seen were in among the wreckage, along with rockfish, greenlings, anemones and pretty much every other prototypical west-coast life you'd expect. Beside the wreck was nudibranch heaven - millions of the little buggers surrounded the wreck. Near the stern several large tanks were found, each filled with fish. After exhausting the batteries in my camera, and my air, I returned to shore. I'd love to have come back for a second dive at the site, but it was time to pack up and move down the coast to Sechelt. A short drive, and ferry crossing later, we were in our new home.

The next day we did three dives - two at a site called tuwanek; basically two small islands with extensive underwater cliffs. Unfortunately vis wasn't stellar, but the dives did not disappoint. Both walls were covered in anemones and sea vases. Lots of fish were found around each island, along with the usual selection of nudibranchs and other invertebrates. One of the walls goes down quite deep, giving me the only opportunity to go deep (gotta love diving with newbies). I was on the prowl for cloud sponges. Unfortunately only one small sponge was found. There was probably more, but it was so dark at that depth as to make anything past 5' to dark to see. Of course this was the one dive where I forgot my light...

The third dive was done at a place called sandy hook. It's well named - nothing but an endless plane of sand broken only by the odd tuft of eel grass. The only reason we dived this site was crab - we had a 1-day crabbing license in hand, and tuwanek didn't offer up any worthy of the pot. We spent an enjoyable 45 minutes chasing the buggers back and forth across the sand, eventually getting 4 huge males for the dinner pot. One was rather feisty, and pretty much jumped out for the kill every time the cooler lid was opened. He also ripped the arms off a few of the other crabs.

He was mighty tasty - crab stuffed crab.

We spent our last day doing two rather tame dives - we had three mountain passes to drive over the next day so we wanted to take things easy. The first was in a palce called seargent bay. My advice - don't go there. The second was in another bay, at a park called coopers green. Basically you circle a small pinnacle. For a dive that was supposed to be boring, it ended up being a great dive. A large (40-pounder, I'd guess) octopus made an appearance. He wasn't too playful, but did ink one of us right in the face. After scaring him into a crack we spent the rest of our time searching for wolf eels along the base of the cliff. None made an appearance, but caves full of shells made it obvious they had recently been in the area.

We finished off the trip with a big BBQ, featuring three kinds of animals, along with a lot of beer. Early (far, far too early, IMO) the next morning we were up and off for home. The drive went pretty much as planed until we got ~4hrs from home. Sometime that morning a mountain decided to drop 2km of mud along a stretch of the highway. After a long time waiting on the highway we were informed that the highway would be opened at 10AM the next day - if we were lucky. So we found a cheap motel (i.e. one step above those that charge by the hour) and crashed for the night. Early the next morning we found that the closure was extended - until 4 that afternoon (if we were lucky). Rather then spending another day with the fleas we decided to go the long ways home. 3 hours south, almost into the US, followed by a painfully slow drive on a single-laned highway got us home. In 13 hours. Home to snow. Apparently we should have stayed on the coast. The good news is our decision to go the long ways around was the right one - today, a week and 3 days after the slide, the highway is still down to one lane, with ~2hr delays, and occasional closures doe to sliding mud.

Overall a good trip. Hopefully a few more dives will get our newbies into condition to do some harder stuff - I'd love to head back and do some of the more challenging dives the area has - Texada island, the scoochumchuck narrows (spelling is wrong), and the Chaudere would have been nice to hit this trip.

Bryan

Now for some pics - more in my gallery.

Very nice, I eventually will get over to the Island to do some more diving also. I made to Hornby earlier this year. We unfortunately got weathered in. I was not a happy diver. Went through withdrawls.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom