Trip Report: The Sabor & Aldora Divers Dec 5th-15th.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am sad to hear that not all of the Aldora divemasters are fighting the lionfish problem...
Love the reef you work daily? Remove lionfish when you can.

Maybe attending to the paying customers is a priority. The Marine Park can pay divemasters to kill lionfish with the fee that everyone pays.

The Dos Ojos critter was following us around looking for handouts. I asked in the "name that critter" section and it's been suggested that it's a white nosed coati, although it had more white than most of the Coati pictures I've seen. Lacking any other ID, I'm going with that one. :)

Is that a peacock flounder in the flamingo tongue pic?

Maybe attending to the paying customers is a priority. The Marine Park can pay divemasters to kill lionfish with the fee that everyone pays.

The two are not mutually exclusive. Read the OP again. Some of us feel that caring for the reef is a priority, too...
Many of the best dive masters manage to do both very well simultaneously - without another tacked-on fee. YMMV

Is that a peacock flounder in the flamingo tongue pic?

We did see several flounder, but I don't think there's one in either of the flamingo tongue pictures.

We did see several flounder, but I don't think there's one in either of the flamingo tongue pictures.

The one labeled Flamingo Tongue (4) kind of looks like a flounder nestled in at the base of the reef where it is curved and meets the sand. A few times I've gotten home from a trip and looked at my pics and found something in the shot I didn't even see at the time I snapped it. Thought you might have one of those.

I see what you're talking about now. I've had the same experience with "suprise" critters, but in this case that's just part of the coral. It's easier to see on the full sized originals than the SB shots, obviously.

Noticed you mentioned not having enough outlets in the room to plug in electronic devices. We take one of those small three outlet plugs that allows you to plug in three things at once. You can get one at Walmarts. Really helps and doesn't take up room in the suitcase.

Yeah, a travel power strip is on my list before our next trip. It's never been a problem before, but for some reason we seem to be accumulating more and more things that require charging...

yeah that's a tough one, on the dives you can hit most days or shallower dives I don't give it a second thought but the day we hit Punta Sur the DM was on a lionfish mission, unfortunately his mission was at over 100 feet, as you hover, watching your air and computer. We switched operators because we were not diving the further/ advanced sites in prior trips and that was the first time to Punta Sur in several years.
But the flip side is no fish in a few years.
So, overall, I have to say thumbs up to Cozumel for being proactive against lionfish, the more I think about it though, the more I think they should allow the touristas to spear lionfish, they could restrict spear length, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom