Trip report: Vandenberg 8/10/14

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sportxlh

Contributor
Reaction score
formerly Palm Beach Gardens, FL: now Atlanta
# of dives
500 - 999
Did a double dip on the Vandy this last Sunday: here's the salient info

-surface conditions: 2-3 feet wave action

-current: ripping on the surface but dropping off at 35 feet and non-existent at 60 feet. The lack of current at depth made it easy to explore the shallower parts of the wreck I normally don't get a chance to see

-vis: 40 feet at depth, 65 feet when above a depth of 35 feet and in the current

-water temp at depth: couple of thermoclines but from 35-100 feet, 86-88 degrees. Surface was colder and @ 100 feet temp was colder

- what I saw: beside the interesting architecture of the wreck itself the dive was 'visually quite'; there were a few big barracuda but no large animal encounters like GGs or sharks or rays (bummer) but plenty of tropicals and bait fish schools being dive-bombed by jacks

-dive operator: Captain's Corner

The boat had an interesting mix of divers which included a group of novice cruise ship type-divers beathing air on 80 cf tanks and lead by a guide to an experienced instructor on a training dive with an instructor candidate to two technical divers doing an extended deco dive with doubles. I really like the flexibility demonstrated by Captain's Corner; they let folks dive within their own limits and certifications.

Given there was no appropriate insta-boat dive buddy for me, they let me solo given my redundant gear and certification.

The DM and Captian (and hired guide) were all incredibly nice folks and interesting to talk to during the SI: yes the Captain mingled with everyone on board. The only downside to the operation is their weird center tank rack, but they let the tech divers and me gear up early and strap our gear to the railing behind the dive benches on our way to the site so the tank rack was not that big deal for me. The staff helped the less experienced divers change over gear during the SI. That was my fourth trip with CC in as many years and I'll use them again in the future (only $65 with my own gear/tanks too!!! that's Palm Beach County pricing: wow!!!)

Thnx for posting

Thanks for the report. Love that Captain's Corner let's you do your own thing... hate that :censored: tank rack. I'll take the trade-off any day. They are nice folks and always an interesting mix of divers. Glad you had a good dive. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom