Trip report - Walindi Plantation New Britain, PNG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roby jeff

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My son & I decided on this location in Kimbe Bay for our 11 day holiday after hearing reports of good but easy diving operating from a comfortable resort base. It sure was and with 5 star meals and service in a very relaxed freindly family atmosphere. We also really ejoyed mixing with the locals & taking in the culture at Kimbe markets & visiting the local tribes.
It was the end of their wet season and not prime time but weather and water temp were all 28-29C and felt ideal. We had 17 dives & most days there were just the 2 of us with 2 guides and the boat driver!! With almost no wave action in the bay lunch surface interval was at one of the beautifull little islands or sitting on a mooring in our 7 meter commuter, all very cruisy. Vis was 10-15me with in 30 minute fast boat ride of the resort and at my favorite sea mounts 50 minutes out it was 15-25 meters. Lots of little critters and a big variety of coral and sponges every where but for fish and shark action the sea mounts which rise from the depths to with in 10- 20 me from the surface were the best.
Staff were all very helpfull & lots of fun, all native nationals except for the excellent dive managers Dan and Kat which were Pommie Aussies. We took several Padi courses and the photography and night diving were paticulary good.
I definitely recomend Walindi and if you want to go further a field their are 2 live aboards ( Febrina & Star Dancer )that seem to work out of the resort most of the year, so a combined boat / resort holiday woulld also be superb.

Glad you enjoyed it. I stayed at Walindi either end of a trip on Fabrina and it is a place I would like to go back to.

Alison

I'm heading there in April 2010 for a night or two before boarding the Star Dancer. I noticed on the website that the bungalows don't have any air conditioning - which is to be expected in a place so far removed - but could you sleep at night without being eaten alive by misquitos or sweating to death from the humidity?

Don't worry ewaiea, you won't get eaten alive by mozzies the rooms have fly screens and there is a ceiling fan that does an excellent job at keeping your room cool. I had no problems sleeping, in fact some nights when it rained I got cold I had to use a thick blanket!

Nights are pleasent, its during the day that the humidity can be high. If your not out diving the central resort area has a tv / library room aith air conditioning.

I'd agree with the above comments, I had no problems sleeping and none with the mossies either.

I'm heading there in April 2010 for a night or two before boarding the Star Dancer. I noticed on the website that the bungalows don't have any air conditioning - which is to be expected in a place so far removed - but could you sleep at night without being eaten alive by misquitos or sweating to death from the humidity?

You'll be fine, there are fans in the bungalows that do a good job keeping you cool.

See message below

Last edited:
An excellent place to stay, we did StarDancer then 3 nights on the end, some interesting things to see like the "hot river", also the firefly bush. The diving was the best, better than the Red Sea. On the liveaboard you are at some very remote places, we went to the "Fathers and Witus', excellent diving, I'm not sure it can be beat...ever.
File0017.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom