Trip Report With Pics: Wreck of the Doc De Milly/Spiegel Grove 05-20-2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fantastic pics and trip report, greatly appreciated. I would also mention that RJ Diving out of Miami Beach makes 3-4 trips a year down to the Doc De Mille.

I dove the Grove 10 days ago and I didn't have to lck to capture any turtles or bill fish. I did get a 14 sedcond video of a tail-less ray though. Great pictures....

I must agree with everyone else the billfish shot is cool. Seeing that during your hang time must have been extremely cool. I once was doing my safety stop and had four spotted eagle rays swim in circles around me. I remember yelling "wooohooo" through my reg. I never got a picture of it, it was just too cool to stop watching to take a picture.

I also really liked your picture that you posted on the other site with the diver next to the American flag on the SG, very cool.

Last edited:
Saying "nice pics" doesn't do them justice LOL. They are amazing pics man!

I agree that the pics are awesome! I'm sure the life on that deeper wreck don't see many divers. What's on the turtle's shell? Looks almost like Christmas Tree Worms.

I agree that the pics are awesome! I'm sure the life on that deeper wreck don't see many divers. What's on the turtle's shell? Looks almost like Christmas Tree Worms.

Thank you.

You're right in saying that the Doc De Milly doesn't see too many divers, but not because of the depth, but because the wreck is midway between Miami and Key Largo and approximately one and one-half hours boat ride from either point.

With regard to what's on the turtle's shell, it's actually barnicles - Here's a zoomed in version of the original picture of the turtle.

Doc_De_Milly_-_SG_05-20-2008_158aa.jpg

I'll join the crowd and tell you how much I enjoyed the report and images, of course the sailfish image was particularly a standout. The way it looks in your picture, and the joy evident in the dives in your shots, makes me feel like I was there. I can feel the excitement of seeing it myself! Rock on.

I'm really happy that you all enjoyed my trip report and the pictures I posted within it!

I take the time to write these trip reports and post them, because I recognize how fortunate I am to live in South Florida and dive wrecks like this every weekend, so I like to allow others that don't have the same opportunities to share in my experiences through my reports and the pictures I post within them.

I'm headed to the Doc De Milly again this morning - I'll keep you posted!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom