Trip Report - Zanzibar (stone town), Tanzania

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve78

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently spent 2.5 weeks in Tanzania climbing Kilimanjaro and doing safari in the national parks with a 1.5 day trip to Zanzibar. I actually did not get to do any diving since Air Tanzania decided to reroute my flight through Dar El Saleem to save money (not an uncommon practice I found out), but I did get to go snorkeling with Bahari Divers. I originally was supposed to go out with One Ocean out of Stone Town but they didn't have anyone other than me so they walked me to Bahari (just around the corner) and I had a great time with them. From the diving aspect their rental equipment looked in reasonably good shape and the 6 divers on my boat had no problems with it. The boat is a traditional doha and not very fast, but it got the job done and was quite stable. Overall they did a good job and the staff was attentive and polite. I am glad I did the snorkeling as there were many shallow parts of the reef and it was a beautiful day. Overall there operation seemed pretty good to me especially for Tanzania were things don't always seem to be so.

I didn't have a reservation for a hotel and my first choice (Tembo) was booked so my cab driver took me a few others and I settled at the Ahlan Palace which was great. It was a family run operation and the proprietors could not have been more accommodating. After a rough morning with the flights and the disappointment of not being able to dive they really helped me feel better. Room had AC and satellite TV and a great bed. Location and breakfast (included) were also good for Stone Town. I would recommend them. Ahlan Palace - Hotel, Restaurant & Spa

I will post my pictures from the snorkeling in a couple of weeks. www.inetmagic.com/scuba/africa/

Thanks for yours. Wish you had been able to dive to tell us more. Zanzibar is one of the destinations on my "bucket list."

Hi folks,

Just arrived from my 2nd trip to Zanzibar.
I was lodged at "La Gemma del'Est" south of a little fisherman village called Nungwi.

The hotel (an all included 5*) is set over a beautiful white coral sandy beach a has its own diving center, a branch of Scuba-do Zanzibar (Google) , owned by a nice couple (Tammy & Christian).

Back to the hotel it belongs to a company called Planhotel (Google it) whcih is specialiced in hotels at scuba destinations. It's a superb place to stay and relax.

The diving center has steel and alluminum tanks, Int & DIN, several two-engines boats, and the usual stuff for diving. Both Tammy & Christian are very friendly people, and have some locals helping them.

Visibility ranges from 30 meters (last November) to 15 (this month), because of winds and currents.

A place to go is Mnemba Atoll, some 25 minutes from the hotel. It's a marine reserve and has a few nice places for diving and snorkelling.

Local fauna includes leaf fish, scorpion fish, turtles, soldiers, butterfly, morena, some rays, trumpet, cornet, barracuda, lion fish, napoleon, etc, etc. Practically no sharks at least for my dives in the north part of the island.

Cheers

Last edited:
Dr Bill, I have done a lot of diving in Zanzibar (both in Stonetown and in Kendwa / Nungwi), so feel free to ask anything you may want to know :)

Cool - something to look forward to as I'm heading that way in September.
I think I'll only bring my wetsuit and mask/snorkel as its prescription, any other tips I should consider before heading down there?

Thanks!!!

Nothing that I can think of.
Unless you get cold very easily, shorty wetsuit will do.
In Kendwa, dive with ScubaDo - great dive shop.
If you have the time, try to get to Pemba as well, great diving.

Hi,

Agreed!

I'd take a 3 mm instead of a shorty, just to avoid coral scratches, but that's up to you.

Cheers

Paddy

Dr Bill, I have done a lot of diving in Zanzibar (both in Stonetown and in Kendwa / Nungwi), so feel free to ask anything you may want to know :)

stefo2 - Tell me about the diving at Stonetown and Nungwi, I was there several years ago but was not a diver and would like to return to do some diving.

What would you like to know? Dive sites? Dive shops? Some more specific question would be helpful.
In Stonetown, there are two dive shops, One Ocean (which I dived with) and Bahari Divers. One Ocean is the bigger one, very professional, but I have heard good things about Bahari as well. There is a limited number of dive sites that are regularly dived from town, including a couple of wrecks (no penetration dives). In Nungwi, there are lots of dive shops, some with a slightly sketchy reputation. As said above, I have always dived with ScubaDo in nearby Kendwa and can recommend them 100% percent - great crew, fast boats, good rental equipmet.
The diving in Zanzibar imo is average - not great but nice enough to keep you happy. Most dive sites are quite shallow (between 10-20m) and suitable for beginner divers.
So while I love Zanzibar (which is a good thing considering that my husband is from there), I wouldn't actually go there for a diving holiday as such, but rather for a holiday with some diving thrown in.

When were you there? It has changed quite a lot over the last few years (I have been going there since 2002).

Stefo2 - I believe it was, wow, 6 or 7 years ago during their dry season, how time flies. Was in Tanzania and Kenya for three weeks (Ngorongoro Crater, Lake Manyara, Serengeti, Tarangie, Arusha, Nairobi and Mt. Meru) except for the last week when we were in Zanzibar. We stayed at Tembo in Stone Town and then went onto the Ras Nungwi Beach Resort. I was not a diver then so only enjoyed the topside attractions. The wildlife there is just amazing, we saw a pack of Africa Wild Dogs!!! Manager of the Serena Lodge we stayed in said in his seven years there, he'd never seen wild dogs. We witness two kills, an croc killing a gazelle and five lioness hunting a cape buffalo. Nature at its best! I can't visit any more zoos since my safari.

You've given me enough dive information to start with, can I PM you if I have more specific questions? Many thanks for your response.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom