Trip to Tobago

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laine

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All,

ODDiver and I just got back from 9 days in Tobago. We stayed at Blue Waters Inn in Speyside with Aquamarine Divers and then a three day stay in Crown Point before heading home. We loved our vacation. The currents are strong and unpredictable so if you go be honest about your abilities. Also don't go if spotting a manta is the only reason. Encounters are far and few between these days and for the past few months. We did not encounter one, but many spotted eagle rays, stingrays, turtles, blacktip reef sharks, nurse sharks, huge corals etc. Will we go again? Yes!!!

It is a little hard to get to from the States, but all our travel went smooth as can be.

Laine

Thanks for the report. I've always wanted to go to Trinidad the siter island. Since there isn't as much diving there, I doubt I'll go, but I love the music.
Let us know if you post any pictures!

It sounds like you had a an amazing trip. I'm planning to head down there in a few weeks and am debating between staying in Crowne Point the whole time and diving out of there or splitting our time between Crowne Point and Speyside. We only have about five days total. Any recommendations?

Also, where did you stay in Crowne Point and would you recommend it? The reviews I've found on places down there has been very inconsistent and the prices seem to be all over the place.

Thank you!

If you are an advanced diver and comfortable with currents I'd recommend spending your entire time in the Speyside area. If you have a vehicle I'd stay in Charlotteville as there is more choice in the small lodge type accommodation.

In Speyside if you don't have a package it is probably quite expensive to stay but have a look at Blue Water Inn, Speyside Inn, or the Manta Lodge.

Over in Charlotteville there is the Top River Pearl which is nice for a short stay. It takes about 15 minutes to drive from Charlotteville to Speyside.
http://www.topriver.com/

As for dive outfits if you want a stellar experience with only your group on the boat give Stuart a call at Tobago SCUBA Diving: CaribStu Dive Service
Quite a bit more expensive but he'll look after you from both the safety and choosing the right dive sites for your ability given the strong currents. Otherwise if you want the typical cattle boat experience have a look at one of the lodge operations.

If you are looking for nightlife you should stay in Crown Point because in the north end of the island everyone is in bed by 10 pm in both towns.

Thank you!

We're not yet advanced divers (only 20-40 dives each) and we're going to be there over New Year's Eve, so I think we'll stay in Crown Point. Any hotel or dive shop recommendations there?

trinidad is fun but the diving sucks. best time to go there is jan-march around carnival time if you like to party. tobago is alot more laid back and obviously alot better for diving. don't knock a trip to the main island though. its a 10 minute plane ride or i think 2 hours by ferry(can't remember).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom