Tropical Diving Undergarment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guyharrisonphoto

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
What would be an appropriate, VERY light, undergarment for extended tropical diving with water temps of 80 or even a little higher?

3mm at most particularly if doing repetitive dives in a day, depending on how much you feel the cold. I feel the cold badly and can get away with just a 3mm.

Which drysuit are you using?

I have a Fusion Sport and I've used sweat pants, a light sweatshirt top and tennis socks.

(Wingy - I'm guessing that the OP does not want to get into a drysuit vs wetsuit debate. That has been done ad nauseum on the board).

My apologies, im not in the US - we dont usually do dry suit diving at all in the tropics in this hemisphere :wink:

I use fleece clothing. Sweatshirt and pants. To keep my fins locked onto my shoes though I still need to wear thick socks and my 400g booties, but most of my diving is cold water, so I don't plan to get new shoes and fins for the rare times I get to dive warm water.

Undergarments? We don't need no stinkin' undergarments. Commando. :D

Seriously, if you use an open cell suit, it's hard to use undergarments ....even bikini briefs. Diving off my own boat, it's not a problem. On a loaded tourist boat....you have to be good with a towel when changing.

Above 84 or so, I've been comfortable in just a base layer (I use KamGear fleece). At 80, I wear the base layer with a set of Lands End polarlfleece sweats. They've worked very well for me, stay somewhat warm when wet, and dry quickly. No matter what you wear under a dry suit, you HAVE to think about how well it will work if it gets wet, because eventually, it will.

My suit is TLS 350. Just got it and am looking for undergarments. Going to see how I like it compared to my 7mm semi-dry wetsuit. I am a Florida diver with occasional trip to California.

Posting here so as to get responses with regard to drysuit diving, not wetsuit. I am thinking about days in spring and fall where the temp is around 80 and there are are 4 dives or maybe an extended 2.5 hour dive and I want to stay warm but not overheat.

For summer where the temps go above 84-85, I dive wet. Can't see the need for a drysuit for that.

in

Well damn...as I pull my foot out of my mouth. :D I didn't realize "undergarment" was a dry suit only term. Oops. I gotta get out more...

Back
Top Bottom