Tropical Dry Suits -- What are they good for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghostdiver

Reaction score
I am planning a trip home to Southern California this summer to go diving. I am considering a dry suit (I currently only have a 3 mil right now). I was wondering if one of the tropical drysuits could be used to dive in So Cal water (I think its between 55-65 degrees). In particular, I have been looking at the White's Tropical Explorer. It looks like the only difference between that and a full dry suit is that it doesn't have integrated feet and the shell is thinner.

Thanks!

A 3mm is definitely not going to do it in CA, unless you wear it for snorkeling.
The tropical drysuits are kinda weird, I think. Probably for people who spend all day in the water ... but why have cold feet when you can have warm ones? :confused: I dive a Mobby's Armor Shell most of the year. Underwear I choose by temperature/time of year. For about two month during late summer I dive wet. Or not at all, because it's too hot for the drysuit (out of the water), yet I usually get cold on the 3rd or 4th dive in a 7mm. Have a look at the Mares Isotherm semi-dry with gas tight zipper, it might fit your bill. Or go to a 'real' drysuit that includes your feet. The boots are much sturdier than seals anyway. There are plenty of suits for less than $1000 that have them.

I agree with Caveseeker7

I think it really depends on when you plan on diving in So Cal.

A drysuit in the peak of summer here is not going to be the least bit comfortable while your suiting up. Darn right misrible in fact. You could dangerously overheat.

Andy

Well, I will be back home in August diving in San Diego and Santa Barbara (probably boat dives) so it will doubtless be quite hot on the surface. We will probably move back to California in 2+ years or so, when I will definatley want a drysuit, but it sounds like a semi-dry (I have been considering O'Neill's Avalon) may be best in the interim. However, I tend to get chilled easily (my 3 mil is not enough at 77 degrees). Will I be chilled in a 7mil or semi-dry in So Cal?

I forgot to mention, I emailed White's and they emailed back saying that they don't recommend their tropical drysuit for temperatures below 72 degrees because it is too form fitting for thicker undergarments.

Back
Top Bottom