Tropical Singles Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

b1gcountry

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I've been diving a BP/W for years, and own an Oxycheq 30# wing. My wife is now diving a backplate, so she takes my singles wing, and I dive doubles locally. I was interested in a lightweight wing for travel to carribean, etc. I like the idea of a STA-less design on an 18-20# wing for diving an AL80 in 80* water. How does the DSS wing work with other backplates? I've got Fred T BPs with a pretty large bend compared to other BPs I've seen. Think the small DSS wing would work without a STA on my plate?

Thanks,
Tom

I've been diving a BP/W for years, and own an Oxycheq 30# wing. My wife is now diving a backplate, so she takes my singles wing, and I dive doubles locally. I was interested in a lightweight wing for travel to carribean, etc. I like the idea of a STA-less design on an 18-20# wing for diving an AL80 in 80* water. How does the DSS wing work with other backplates? I've got Fred T BPs with a pretty large bend compared to other BPs I've seen. Think the small DSS wing would work without a STA on my plate?

Thanks,
Tom

Tom,

I can say with complete confidence that DSS wings work on DSS plates, they were designed to do exactly that.

When you introduce 3rd party goods, I can no longer predict how they are going to work.

It is simply impossible for me to have examples of every wing ever made, and every plate ever made (including all the possible revisions each plate company may have produced over time)

Keep in mind that there are no standards back plates, and they are not all the same.

If we just consider the camband slots, there is no standard for the placement, length, spacing or even presence of camband slots.

Further there is no standard for the location of the bolts holes in the center channel of the plate relative to the camband slots.

Will it work? What does that really mean? Can it be made to work, sort of? Or will it be "perfect"? How to I judge what any given user expects?

In short it might work, but I cannot say more than that.

Tobin

Well, maybe if you explained a little of how the wobble reducer works, I could be able to figure it out...Does it bolt into the plate, or is it just sandwiched in between the tank and plate? About how much relief does the wing allow for due to the bend in the backplate? If the wing has cutouts for cam bands, how far apart are they spaced?

I'm sorry if I hit a nerve, I just had a question about one of your products.

Tom

Well, maybe if you explained a little of how the wobble reducer works, I could be able to figure it out...Does it bolt into the plate, or is it just sandwiched in between the tank and plate? About how much relief does the wing allow for due to the bend in the backplate? If the wing has cutouts for cam bands, how far apart are they spaced?

I'm sorry if I hit a nerve, I just had a question about one of your products.

Tom

No "nerve hits", all is good there. :wink:

The Shape and depth of the center channel may impact the performance of the wobble stopper, but that's a distant second to whether or not the camband slots line up.

What if the camband slots don't line up?

What if the camband slots line up, but just barely, meaning you cannot move the wing up or down for trim?

What if the camband slots line up, but the bolt holes in the plate and the bolt holes in the wing don't line up at the same time. Can't use the rubber locators. You can still use the wing, but you will need to be careful about lining up the wing anp plate as you tighten the cambands.

BTW the wobble stopper is sewn to the center panel of the wing.

Tobin

About how much do your Torus 17 and TTW 17 weigh?

Also, how exactly does the wobble stopper work-does it need to reach to the back of the plate on either side of the bend to be effective, or does it just sit on the flat center part of the BP (the part that doesn't touch your back)

Tom

About how much do your Torus 17 and TTW 17 weigh?

Also, how exactly does the wobble stopper work-does it need to reach to the back of the plate on either side of the bend to be effective, or does it just sit on the flat center part of the BP (the part that doesn't touch your back)

Tom

Tom,

A Torus 17 is about 2 lbs and a TTW is about 1.4 lbs. Remember the fittings and corrugated hose power inflator common to both styles are significant weight elements.

The wobble stopper is molded to match the shape of the center channel on a DSS back plate, on one side and to cradle a tank on the other.

It is elastomeric, so it will conform to a degree when used with other back plates. It may or may not work as well as it does on a DSS plate.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom