Troubles on a drift dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Getting separated from the group on a drift dive off the FL mainland in not uncommon. Make sure you have your own SMB and reel. The groups may be separated but are generally in a line, so not all that difficult to pickup. Also unless you can hit the NDL and are diving the max Nitrox for the depth, plan on surfacing separate from the group. You should stay with your buddy assuming you have one.

Drift diving is generally not difficult even towing the flag. I like Jupiter where you have DM's in the water to do flag duty (or did). I have not dove FL recently.

Ron, I agree that everyone should have their own SMB when doing this type of diving. I make that agreement in retrospect, though. I specifically asked my LDS, who sponsored the trip, if we should get one. They told me that it was fine to have one, but not really necessary. In a perfect world, they would have been correct...but it isn't a perfect world. I think the 2 occasions that I mentioned in the OP were the only drifts where we didn't surface as a group. So for the most part, it was fine. I really didn't mind the flag too much on the ones that went well, but when that current kicked up...it sucked. Also, trying to juggle the flashlight, vent air on ascent, checking guages....well, I managed.:coolingoff:

If you have 3 or 4 groups in the water it's easy for the groups to become separated. The boat can't follow bubble trails then. Sometimes groups can surface at quite a distance and it's a big help for the captain to have a clue where the groups are before they send up a marker. Plus there's all those laws made for boaters who don't follow them

Back
Top Bottom