Truck bed liner on tanks???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was just looking at my faber's that have a couple paint chips, will eventually rust. Guess I will just have to spot touch up the tanks thats all. Just thought there might be a better option that will last longer and be a little more durable.

Very doubtful your Fabers will rust under the chipped paint, they are hot dipped galvanized under the epoxy enamel. Where they will rust is where the hydro stamps are applied to the tank. This is the same whether you have Faber, Worthington, OMS, or Beauchat cylinders. The way to protect the cylinder from rusting where the hydro stamp is applied is to put a lottle Ospho (phosphoric acid) on a sponge/rag and apply it to the new hydro stamp. The Ospho turns the ferrous oxide to ferric oxide (FeO2 to Fe2O3), which is black rust instead of red rust, and forms a passive oxide layer rather than an active oxide layer. The passive oxide layer breaks down over time, so ou might have to Ospho it twice a year or so. You can also paint the stamping with a zinc coating after the stamp is applied and you Ospho it. That will seal the stamp and you won't have to mess with it any more.

Very doubtful your Fabers will rust under the chipped paint, they are hot dipped galvanized under the epoxy enamel. Where they will rust is where the hydro stamps are applied to the tank. This is the same whether you have Faber, Worthington, OMS, or Beauchat cylinders. The way to protect the cylinder from rusting where the hydro stamp is applied is to put a lottle Ospho (phosphoric acid) on a sponge/rag and apply it to the new hydro stamp. The Ospho turns the ferrous oxide to ferric oxide (FeO2 to Fe2O3), which is black rust instead of red rust, and forms a passive oxide layer rather than an active oxide layer. The passive oxide layer breaks down over time, so ou might have to Ospho it twice a year or so. You can also paint the stamping with a zinc coating after the stamp is applied and you Ospho it. That will seal the stamp and you won't have to mess with it any more.

Thanks, will try that

Back in the '60s and '70s, a few manufacturers coated steel tanks with vinyl. It looked great, but sooner or later, the vinyl would develop pinhole leaks, and it would hide the developing corrosion. I seem to recall reading reports of more than a few of these tanks blowing up...

I currently use one for a doorbell... the vinyl mutes the clang a little.

No offense, but your idea is a dumb one... :wink:

Back in the '60s and '70s, a few manufacturers coated steel tanks with vinyl. It looked great, but sooner or later, the vinyl would develop pinhole leaks, and it would hide the developing corrosion. I seem to recall reading reports of more than a few of these tanks blowing up...

whta about the plasti dip coating? it's a rubber coating -- which you can easily peel off -- worth trying for a short time.. and not permanent like bed-liner.

I seem to remember something about weighing tanks at hydro, aside from the rust concerns would the liner affect the weight of the tank

Brendan

I seem to remember something about weighing tanks at hydro, aside from the rust concerns would the liner affect the weight of the tank

Brendan

Yes. The weight of the cylinder is stamped on the neck so that as part of a hydrostatic test the cylinder can be weighed and compared against the stamped weight. Significant changes to weight indicate gross corrosion. If the cylinder is heavier than stamped then it is severely corroded inside (although a simple visual check will confirm that too). If it has lost weight though but looks clean inside that means it has been severely corroded but has then been shot-blasted or flailed until appearing visually clean.

It should work great on a disposable tank. 'Cause you're never gonna get a VIP on that tank again.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

---------- Post added November 29th, 2013 at 08:10 AM ----------

No offense, but spreading "reports" of exploding tanks is really just rumormongering. I'm still waiting for a single documented reliable case of a steel scuba tank exploding when filled with air.

could or has anyone tried putting truck bed liner on scuba tanks for a coating?

I would think it would be a good durable coating if you can use it.

no!.

N

whta about the plasti dip coating? it's a rubber coating -- which you can easily peel off -- worth trying for a short time.. and not permanent like bed-liner.

If the tanks are not going to rust from chipped paint then why bother?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom