Truck bed tank rack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ktomlinson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I wanted a secure way to haul tanks after damaging a valve the last time I hauled them (they slid loose). I went to Lowe's and bought two 8' plastic deck boards. My truck is a short bed, so I built it 67" long and cut out places for 8 tanks. I used Seadeck samples cut into squares to cushion the ends. When you shut the tailgate the rack is secured. Pretty easy really, wish I'd done it sooner. Took around an hour. Cost $30. Any questions just ask.

24bb25703cf87d372df9f1978ff41824.jpg

f7640d89c6881bd55caac5bd20553f2f.jpg

8710eea77010d690b2b141992d8d9453.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What secures the cylinders?

11737887_1135434219805365_1348663983514734386_n.jpg

Tanks fit two per side, two deep. Small tanks on the side. 2x4 piece if needed to space.

---------- Post added October 26th, 2015 at 06:44 PM ----------

They only fit two side by side per side, so I throw a few small things to keep any slight rolling from happening.

Eight full size tanks, and the 2x4 pieces keep valves from tank bottoms.

What secures the cylinders?

I plan on using a ratchet strap attached to each end. I figure I can haul 15 tanks with this rack using a ratchet strap to secure them.

---------- Post added October 26th, 2015 at 09:52 PM ----------

Jax, that's cool! Any pictures with tanks in the truck? I am having a roll top put on the bed this week, which would preclude me from using your method, but it is an awesome idea for camper tops.

Jax, that's cool! Any pictures with tanks in the truck? I am having a roll top put on the bed this week, which would preclude me from using your method, but it is an awesome idea for camper tops.

Not much of the tanks . . .
11737910_1135718613110259_3625030956900170798_n.jpg

on the left, you can just see the valve of one of my sidemounts. I think I had the two sidemount sets on that side, 85's and 100's. Two AL 80s and two 130s on the right, plus 1 6cf, 2 13cf, 1 30, and 1 40.

My small tanks fit next to them, in front of and behind the wheel wells.

This is a 5 1/2' bed, so a little restricted. But, if I put my suitcase, camera box, and computer luggage in the back seat (Crew Cab), I could inflate my twin and sleep in the back. Just in case I lost my mind and decided to camp. :giggle:

The back of the truck wasn't full at all, so this made it very easy to reach what was necessary. It comes apart into four bottom supports and two pieces of cut-to-fit plywood, so I can neatly put it out of the way. Also, I didn't secure the plywood - because it is cut to fit - and I can lift it to shove tanks forward.

I had these tanks in my truck for the springs ow next rack I make will be a standing rack had about twelve wetsuits and bcds in front of the tanks to keep em from sliding and a mesh tarp over everything to keep it all from flying out

Attachments

• 20150502_163519.jpg
    20150502_163519.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 572
Littlerayray, that's how I used to secure them, but the last time I hauled them I didn't have anything else in the bed since I was going to get fills and they got loose.

I follow Littlerayray's method, but use an additional ratchet strap or two which I wrap around the necks and secure to the anchor hooks in the bed. The interesting part is that if you carry that many tanks in Canada (I believe its more than 4), they have to be stored upright.... needless to say, I have not been legal....

I'm not in Canada, but very interesting to know. I have a locking tonneau cover thats level with the top of the truck bed, so hopefully a similar law doesn't exist in the US. If I didn't have the cover (I like locking the gear in the truck bed) or if I had a camper shell, I think upright would be my preference for space saving reasons.

I will be building an upright rack that lines the entire outside of the box of my truck leaving the middle open for gear it's amazing how quick wetsuits dry doing over 100kms an hr in 20 minutes

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom