Truk (Chuuk) Lagoon Advise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lars2005

Contributor
Reaction score
I'll be in Guam in June for an extended stay; and obviously diving. Following my Guam business I plan on going to Truk prior to returning to the States.
Question;
Is there an island hopper flight that allows for stopping at Truk on a return?
i.e. thereby avoiding another ticket. (Guam-Truk-Guam)
Is there a liveaboard at Truk that can be joined for less than a week??
Any recommendations to whom to dive with at Truk if a liveaboard is not doable??
Thanks Lars

I believe you can dive with the Thorfinn for less than a week by paying a daily rate. Blue Lagoon appears to be the recommended dive op in Chuuk if you go land-based.

Yes there is an island hopper that goes to Pohnpei, Kosrae, Kwajalein and Majuro on the way to Honolulu. It only runs a few days a week and I hear it's a real bear. You need to check with Continental on the flight schedule. Don’t know about the liveaboards as I have always done land based. I always use Blue Lagoon for Hotel and diving. If you have any questions about Guam, drop me a line.

There is the Continential Micronesia island hopper flight on Sunday night, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings. We just did the return on it. Most people prefer not to do this flight because it is long and depending on which side of the plane you are sitting on you wil be required to get off the plane multiple times. It also gets into Honolulu at 2:30am. So look at both options.

As for diving, the Thornfin does allow mid week additions. I have read very mixed reviews of the ship so do some research on it. While in Chuuk we dove with both the Blue Lagoon and on the Odyssey. Both were very good. If land based you will probably not get in as many dives as with the Odyssey but it is less expensive.

If your schedule permits send the Odyssey a note and see if they have any last minute cancelations. If you have a week you might be able to get on board on short notice. They run their boat Sun PM - Sun AM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom