Truk lagoon deeper wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marty Cerven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys I haven't posted here much recently due to not doing that much diving over the last year and also someone that spoiled the fun a little here a while back.

Here is a edit I did recently after lending a friend a GoPro black the SRP tray and light setup, I got their new lights a while ago to try out. I had used them locally a few times but lucked out condition wise over our winter and so not much worth posting from those tests as they didnt show much in very low vis conditions. This video is mostly 30-65m deep on a pretty awesome site, all shot in protune cam raw 2.7k30 and just the tray and lights. I gave him some filters but told him only to use them 30m or shallower but they didn't do much diving at that level so he just kept the filters off.

Here is another video I shot earlier in the year which I dont think I ever put up here, this is in the Philippines and all shallower 30m max here with no lights just URPro cyan filter in protune and cam raw. I love that mode in the black edition makes uw video so much better when you dont need to rely on the somewhat random auto white balance that sometimes completely ruins some shots.

Nice to see you back posting here Marty! Pity mr. I spoiled your fun for awhile.....
- hmm Truk lagoon, no closeups at the shotguns ?

- hmm Truk lagoon, no closeups at the shotguns ?

Main limitation of the setup was battery life of both the camera and lights, the guys were all on rebreathers and doing fairly long 1 1/2 to 2hr dives so the batteries would die before the end of the dives. This meant some of the cooler stuff near the end of most dives never got captured. It was my friends first time using the setup amd the black batt life isnt great as anuone with one knows. First dive he used the lcd bacpac and it died quite early then he used the batt bacpac but then it outlasted the lights and also framing was a bit trickier without the screen.

Battery life I think is the biggest advantage of the black plus and light wise if you want a couple hours out of it youd need some different video lights. The setup is fine for regular scuba doing 45m to 1hr dives but on a rebreather the much longer runtimes are a bit tricky. I did tell him to turn it off completly when not recording as standby time on the black is pretty poor too and quite likely he may have accidently flicked on the wifi as he wasnt familiar with the camera which would have hurt the runtime quite badly too.

Awesome videos Marty, some really slick editing. You really know how to get the most out of the GoPro!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom