Truk Lagoon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Someday I will have the skill set to do some great dives there! Enjoy!

skillset? now you have me worried!

I'm intending on completing my PADI deep diving cert, but what do you mean by that comment :/

skillset? now you have me worried!

I'm intending on completing my PADI deep diving cert, but what do you mean by that comment :/

I guess you can find shallow stuff but with all that candy deep I would not waste the trip. As for classes you might want to think about TDI intro to tech, GUE-f, advanced Nitrox / DECO, or even trimix. Stay away from Deep Air!

IMHO save your money and find a class with some value.

well the trip is with a shop, so the planned dives will be rec dives, not tec.

I do see what you're getting at though... surely it wouldn't be a "waste" though.

The key to diving in Truk is utilizing Nitrox and managing your surface intervals. The dive that many do which requires deco is the SFO Maru. I would venture to guess that the vast majority do it as a trust me dive fully relying on their computer.

Having Adv Nitrix/Deco will be helpful but certainly not required. What you really need to dive in Truk is know your computer. It is really funny watching people come up from a dive, rummage through their gear for the user's guide, sit down, read it, and then go "So that is what was on my screen!!" They put it into deco and then got credit and eventually only required a 3m safety stop.

I had a chat to one of the tech divers in the store who has been there... his strong recommendation was to do deco/adv nitrox TDI courses before going.

guess it'll have to be another year then :( can't afford to do that, pay for the trip and the extra for the nitrox (he suggested to budget $400 for 10 days)... the trip is roughly going to be $5500 total cost, the courses $1000 +$300 for another tank (required) and $??? manifold (also required) which is just getting out of control considering I only recently dumped $1500 (collective cost) on my DM course plus the other bits and bobs (first aid/spares kit etc...)

I might head to Fiji or Solomon Islands instead.

I stayed at Blue Lagoon and found the guides to be fantastic and they were actually far more conservative than you would usually find on a tropical island. So if you are staying there, they will help you to a degree. I am not a believer in relying on anyone else while diving but they are good dive guides.

My favourite wreck was the San Francisco but it is definitely outside the recreational limits, and I would not suggest anyone do it without the proper training. I would also recommend doing tech training prior to going to get the full experience. However there were some fantastic wrecks at the 30-40 meter mark if you dont want to go in to tech. The Fujikawa was particularly nice with plenty of growth and fish life. But again I would recommend you are at least deep qualified before going. They may allow you to dive beyond your limits and training but you shouldnt.

I was lucky my group was relatively experienced, my buddy and I were the only ones who did the San Fran as it was beyond the limits of the rest... my point being go and have an awesome time - it is fantastic and a wreck divers paradise, but please be at least deep quailifed, read up on repeat deep diving and learn how to plan your dive so you are not relying on computers, read up about nitrogen loading and dont go beyond your limits :) HTH

Oh and if you're planning a wreck diving trip Solomon Islands is exactly the same sort of depths and experience level needed as truk, particularly anything in Iron Bottom Sound - which is the majority of the wrecks you will want to dive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom