Truk - Land Based

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adamtodd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone have any info on land based ops in Truk... I want to go over there and do five days diving.
So far I saw The Truk Stop and Blue Lagoon - Any expirences with these guys?

I want to use Twins and do both rec and deco dives there...
It didn't look like The Truk Stop had facilities for Nitrox, or Tech. possibilities...
The Blue Lagoons website was shocking... Not to much info at all.

I know the Odyssey is of coarse the way to roll- but I don't wanna drop the 3 Grand on it..

Cheers
-A

Both Blue Lagoon and Truk Stop can run tech trips and have dubs/stages.

Also, by the time you add the dives and the cost of the hotel, the cost per dive on Odyssey is VERY close to land based.

I just saw this on The Deco Stop: http://thedecostop.com/forums/showpost.php?p=456095&postcount=4

The grounds and layout of the Blue Lagoon Resort has the nicer ambience; Truk Stop has the better technical support logisitics (doubles, deco bottles, Oxygen & Helium readily available for mixed gas diving)

(The best travel package I've seen to Truk and Palau is through Blue Horizons Travel & Tours Inc in Makati. . .)

Blue Lagoon is closer to the dive sites by about 5 to 10 minutes. It has very nice grounds but the rooms are showing their age. The staff is totally local and I don't think any of the staff have any professional training. I'm not saying they don't know what they are doing however. The guides are excellent. I like the outside bar area and visited often.
Truk Stop does not have any grounds to speak of. They do have a very nice huge deck area where everyone hangs out. Truk Stop has a professional instructor/manager with a lot of experience. He is very tech oriented and has the equipment and gases for any situation. They also have local guides that actually have certification. Truk Stop is very near town and you can walk to grocery stores and a couple of places to eat. You can get beer in town for about 1/3 the price charged by Truk Stop and Blue Lagoon. Lots of folks buy a few groceries and save huge amounts over the liveaboard option but it's certainly not as much fun when you have to create your own meals.
Both resorts visit the exact same dive sites as the liveaboard.
I think most locals prefer the food at Truk Stop as the restaurant always has lot of local officials and business owners eating there.
You'll be happy with either or the liveaboard. Diving is terrific.

I stayed at the TrukStop for a week prior to boarding the Odyssey (Sep/Oct 2009). I will absolutely go back to the TrukStop again for land based diving. If you're interested in Deco diving with doubles, TrukStop has everything you need. Send an email to Kelvin Davidson diveshop@dive-truklagoon.com and he'll take care of everything for you; doubles, mix, room reservations, simply everything.

Note: you may have some difficulty getting in touch with the TrukStop Hotel. There's apparently TWO websites but only one services TrukStop Hotel use Kelvin's email to contact them.

Safe Diving,
Wil

Blue lagoon is the way to go...you don't get stranded on a boat..that you have to stay on...the hospitality is 5 star...at a 3 star hotel....the people are supa friendly

laytah
steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom