Truk Stop or Blue Lagoon Dive Resort?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robzr

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're going to Chuuk for 5 days of diving in February - because of trip logistics, a liveaboard is not an option. It sounds like the two spots to stay are the Blue Lagoon Dive Resort and Truk Stop. We won't be doing any technical / deco diving, although the option of nitrox / doubles would be nice.

How does Truk Stop compare to Blue Lagoon? How close are both to town and finding outside eating options? How is the dive operation run, nitrox availability, etc?

I'd really like to hear from anyone who has stayed at both, or at least seen both.

thanks,

Rob

There's really nothing to do "in town" on Weno, other than the daytime tours of the ruins/bldgs of the former Japanese base from WWII (you don't want to be out & about in town after dark). The Blue Lagoon Resort has the larger grounds and better ambiance, while Truk Stop has the best logistics for tech diving/mixed gas support. Blue Lagoon dive ops is the more historic of the two, run by Gradvin Aisek, son of the great Kimiuo Aisek. Both have very good restaurants, Truk Stop having the best & biggest pizza in all of Micronesia. . .

When deciding about Chuuk, keep in mind that you go to Chuuk for the great diving. It is not the kind of place that also offers good non-dive activities, nor is it a place where you want to go out at night. Therefore, you want a place where you can comfortably spend your non-dive time. I have only stayed at the Blue Lagoon and I liked it. It has large grounds, a decent restaurant and a fun outdoor bar. I ate all my meals there and it provided a very relaxing environment. I did not feel isolated or cramped. I did take an island tour. For non-dive activities, I have found other Micronesian islands to be more enjoyable.

Thanks for the feedback guys... yeah we are definitely not going for the non-diving on Truk. From what we've read, Truk Stop is closer to town, which sounds like it might give us a better variety of places to eat at? Although if google maps is right, Blue Lagoon & Truk Stop are only about 1000 feet apart so "1000 feet closer" wouldn't be much of an advantage.

Is nitrox easy to get at Truk Stop? I read a review of Blue Lagoon which leaves me to believe the nitrox availability there might be a roll of the dice... I'd definitely prefer to dive with nitrox when doing 3 (75 - 110 foot?) dives a day for 5 days...

Rob

Rob, FWIW there are no restaurants in "town" other than the one in the Truk Stop hotel. These is a grocery (general) store close by, but that's it.

I've been going there for 25 years and for the 'after the dives what am I gonna do' time the Blue Lagoon really is much nicer. It's at the very tip of the south end of Weno and you're right on the water. Very good scenic shots and sunsets.

Don't know about any problems with nitrox. Both shops always have it. Have fun.

Truk videos you can watch are right here: Truk Lagoon Videos and Diving

Rob,

I just returned from two weeks in Chuuk, one week at TrukStop Hotel and the other onboard the Truk Odyssey. I had a fantastic time at both. Here are my thoughts on diving with the TrukStop.

Bill Stinnett (Owner) has set up everything you need in one place. The accommodations are great, restaurant serves wonderful food, and the dive support is the best. Dive Masters/Instructors Kelvin and Anabel Davidson will take care of your every diving need. They assign you a spacious dive locker when you arrive. Everything is centrally located, lockers, tables, wash tanks, pier..everything. Diving is done from small boats at both TrukStop and Blue Lagoon. TrukStop has a Dive Master with you and a Chuukese boatman, who will take care of your gear and remain on the boat during diving.

During our stay we were a group of three, there was also a large group from Spain. Each group discussed and planned their own dive sites with their Dive Master. Anabel was great at getting us to our sites and supporting our 3 dives per day desires. Very personalized service and support. As mentioned Truk Stop also supports Tec Diving, if you desire. They generally run a 30% NITROX mix and you can get that in single or double AL80's. For deeper wrecks they'll provide whatever you desire.

The advice on non-dive activities from others is right on the mark. Take a day tour of the island if you like but forget about going out at night. Other than TrukStop and Blue Lagoon, there are no places you should be going for entertainment or dining. Drink only the water they put in your room or bottled water. TrukStop places water in your room that's been processed and is safe to drink - don't drink the water from the sink/shower. Walking distance from the TrukStop (across the street and down the road about 100 yards) is a store where you can get just about anything you need. We're talking any personal items you need, bottled water, and food (if you want something more). It's surprisingly well stocked and convenient.

I did make it over to the Blue Lagoon three times but can't comment on their diving operations or accommodations. The restaurant served great food.

Last note on TrukStop: apparently there are two Hotel web sites active. One works and one doesn't - only one belongs to the TrukStop Hotel. I suggest you contact Kelvin directly at their email: diveshop@dive-truklagoon.com Kelvin will make your hotel reservations for you, ensure you're met at the airport, and ensure you have a great diving experiance.

I recommend you get a copy of Dan Bailey's book on operation Hailstone and the wrecks of Truk Lagoon. You can't get a better insight into the wrecks and it's perfect for planning which wrecks you'll want to dive. There are something-like 52 of them, plus other attractions (planes) , and they're all great!

Safe Diving,
Wil

I recommend you get a copy of Dan Bailey's book on operation Hailstone and the wrecks of Truk Lagoon. You can't get a better insight into the wrecks and it's perfect for planning which wrecks you'll want to dive. There are something-like 52 of them, plus other attractions (planes) , and they're all great!

Safe Diving,
Wil

+1 on that...

I've stayed at the Blue Lagoon...thought the resturant was great and the Dive shop very good.

hope it helps

Trip Report: Truk

The flight over is a bear! 14 hours on JAL to Tokyo- 4 hour layover, 3 ½ hours to Guam- 7 hour layover, 1 ½ to Truk. I could not sleep on the plane on the way over. I was totally worn out when I got to Truk. If you plan on heading out that way from the US, or anywhere actually, please, do not do as I foolishly did, go straight there without an overnight along the way. That was a big mistake for me. I should have overnighted in Tokyo or Guam. Overnight on your trip over, you’ll be glad you did. I wish I had.

Truk was everything I had hoped it would be. The diving on Truk is very special, due to history and beauty of the landscape. The wrecks are magical. They have plenty of marine growth and still have war gear from the time they were sunk. The vis is good and access to different decks and holds easy enough, but perhaps a bit too deep for some. I managed to stay out of deco, although very, very close on some dives. I set my limit at 130 ft –most dives were in the 85 ft to 110 range, with some dives at 122ft and 131ft. I heard some talk that the wrecks had diminished over time but that was not my experience. There is still plenty to see and marvel at. It is awesome. I remember saying to myself, yeah, this is what I got into diving to experience.

I dove 12 wrecks -13 dives: Kansho, Nippo, Heinan, Shinkoku, Rio de Janeiro, Fujikawa, Yamakiri, Kiosumi, Hoki, Gosei, Fumazuki, Sakisan and Betty Bomber. They all had some of value to see and were fascinating in their own right but two wrecks stand out, as I recall, Fujikawa and Shinkoku Marus.

Blue Lagoon Hotel.

The hotel is situated on about 10 to 15 acres of very lush and well maintained grounds. Very south pacific island like, with many palm tress and places to sit and view the large lagoon. The rooms are adequate but need some updating, just cosmetic small touches. Shower pressure was not great. Ladies, bring your own soap because all they give you are these postage stamp size bars 

Food was good and a varied menu. I was on the AI so I had every meal there and found it adequate.

Dive Op.

On site dive op is much geared to the diver. Great full length lockers to store your gear and about 6 good rinse tanks for your gear. A good dock shower too. Boats are ok for the 20 to 30 minute ride to sites. Very picturesque surroundings as you head to dives site and some weird sense of what it must have been like in 1944 when it was attacked. You feel the history. Some SI was spent on small islands. One in particular was about 400 yards in diameter. A dot in the ocean. It was magical-very different. We toured the island of Dublon, where Japanese headquarters was during the war. You can still see the bullet holes in the structure.

I highly recommend Truk and Blue Lagoon Hotel. I never felt cheated because I was not on a liveaboard. I could add as many dives as I felt like doing for just $35 a dive. If you do the math, the land based wound up being a better deal and has some degree of added comfort and a greater degree of mobility.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom