Truk/Yap-shoreside or liveaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tracydr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
North Carolina, 3 miles from South Carolina
# of dives
500 - 999
I'd like to set up a trip for next summer to Truk and maybe Yap. Wondering if the best option is to stay on land or use a live aboard? Any other suggestions will be appreciated, especially concerning getting there, where to stay and which dive ops to use.
We hope to get GUE trimix and wreck certified prior to this trip, if I can ever find an instructor reasonably close to AZ.

I haven't been to Truk, but from everything I know a liveaboard seems like a good idea there. Besides ease of doing a lot of diving and the other goodness of a liveaboard, it doesn't sound like topside Truk is worth writing home about. Seems there's always been one to several liveaboards based there for ages, probably there's reasons for that.

Personally I'd try a liveaboard in Yap if there was one, but AFAIK there isn't (other than maybe the rare special itinerary.) From what I saw there is some really nice diving around Yap beyond the heavily marketed Manta dives; the problem might be getting to it much because so many people go there for the Mantas so that's where the boats go. We stayed at Manta Ray Bay which had a reputation for doing this in the past at least, I don't know currently but it's worth checking into. We were there with a group that was taking up 2 boats so we could have them go where we wanted. (If I went back to Yap, which I wouldn't mind at all, I have no idea if I would stay and dive at MRB or Trader's Ridge. There are some other lodging options as well but those are the 2 I'd choose from.)

We did the Yap-Chuuk combo and had a great time. Manta Bay resort is really the best bet for Yap and without a doubt The Odyssey is the way go in Chuuk. Trip reports, gallery, Multimedia show at our site Aquablue Dreams As mentioned Yap has some great diving outside the reef if the weather permits.

Ive done both shore and liveabord in Truk. If I have the chance to go again, im going back on the odyssy. Any specific questions shoot me a PM and I will answer them.
Myles

IF you want to use mix on Truk your only option is to use Truk Stop. That is unless you want to ship a couple of Ts there which some have done and used on the Odyssey. Which is a great boat we have been on it twice.

Is this a current comment?

IF you want to use mix on Truk your only option is to use Truk Stop. That is unless you want to ship a couple of Ts there which some have done and used on the Odyssey. Which is a great boat we have been on it twice.

Not sure what you mean? I have read that folks who have wanted helium on the Odyssey have made arrangements and shipped the Ts there. I have idea of what arrangements were needed for shipping or while on the boat.

We went with the Thorfinn when we went, but that was 7 years ago. After getting off at the airport, we were glad we went the liveaboard route, because the towns there are in pretty shabby condition. The Thorfinn was showing its age when we went, but I've heard its been upgraded, but the ship rarely moves and you board skiffs that hold up to about 6 divers.You MIGHT get fewer divers on a wreck vs. The Odyssey , where the entire ship stops over a wreck and everyone dives it, though on their own schedule.
No matter which way you go, The diving is the best I've ever done - I especially remember the Yamagiri Maru where a sailors skull was embedded in the ships superstructure near the engine room - there's a photo of it in the photo gallery. Just awesome diving.
Have fun.

Just got back from the Odyssey today. It has the most spacious accomodations among 9 different liveaboards I've been to. Except for one cabin, there are no bunk beds. 4 day dives were offered plus one night dive daily except for 3 dives on the last dive day. We saw dive boats from resorts on some of the wrecks we visited but these were small and obviously uncomfortable during the trip to the dive site and while doing your surface interval for the 2nd dive.
You can dive unguided or avail the services of very knowledgeable divemasters from the Odyssey for penetration and non-penetration dives. Briefings were very extensive and included the best part of the wreck for photo opportunities. Being satisfied with the boat and crew is an understatement of this trip.

Back
Top Bottom