Trust my LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PR_SMITH

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I recently purchased an ex-rental reg from my LDS, along with a new bc, fins, yada, yada.
I decided to go my local lake and do a bouyancy test with my new wetsuit, etc. So I mount the bottle on the BC, attach the reg, and check everything over, look at hoses, and I find that my HP hose from the reg to the gauges has several big splits in it! (this is supposedly an ex-rental, tested, inspected, etc unit). Needless to say, I'm not getting wet with this rig. So I pack everything in the car, drive the 1:45 to the LDS that sold me the $1,500 worth of gear and asked the owner how this was let out his front door in the obviously unsafe condition?? He has the nerve to tell me that it's OK, it's JUST a protective rubber layer that has split. Surely, I want it fully protected, I say. He says nope, it's fine, nothing to worry about. He says that they use them like that on there in-pool instruction all the time. I'm now trying hard not lose my cool; I suggest he go down a hundred feet or so with it and see if he feels comfortable. Seems he doesn't even have a new hose in stock, but will get one and in the meantime, happy diving.

Someone tell me that I'm being unreasonable here, in not trusting the guy?

Last edited:
I guess my questions here are:

- was the guy pulling the wool over my eyes?

- would anyone dive knowing that the HP hose was damaged(but not actually leaking)?

- am I over-reacting?

- Can anyone recommend a dive shop anywhere within 2 hours of Haliburton, Ontario?

I guess my questions here are:

- was the guy pulling the wool over my eyes?Can't tell,don't know what you bought,but it sounds like a lot of $$$

- would anyone dive knowing that the HP hose was damaged(but not actually leaking)?Would it be my own hose,YES,would it be something I didn.t know...Guess not

- am I over-reacting?Maybe/or not

- Can anyone recommend a dive shop anywhere within 2 hours of Haliburton, Ontario?Sorry i"m from out of town.:D

Id say he's full of it.Why take a chance with your life.Any cracked hoses on my stuff gets tossed.Complacence kills.

- was the guy pulling the wool over my eyes?Can't tell,don't know what you bought,but it sounds like a lot of $$$

Just to clarify on this point, I meant was he BS'ing me on the safety aspect of the hose?

Where's the problem? He is getting a new one ordered for you. A leaking or failed HP hose is not a danger to you.

Would I make a 100-foot dive having noticed the problem? Yes.
would I replace it at the next available opportunity? (After returning from the dive weekend) Yes.

theskull

Id say he's full of it.Why take a chance with your life.Any cracked hoses on my stuff gets tossed.Complacence kills.

Yeah, I'm with ya there. If it was a brake hose on my car, it would get replaced same day. Not into Russian Roulette.

Just to clarify on this point, I meant was he BS'ing me on the safety aspect of the hose?

Maybe just a bit,can you dive a hose like that.Heck I've not seen it but by your discription,yes I would do some dives on it.It's just the outer cover.There is still some mesh wire and a heavy rubber hose underneath it.
Would I buy it like that....NO WAY

Why don't you and the owner go back and inspect the rest of his HP hoses.

Maybe just a bit,can you dive a hose like that.Heck I've not seen it but by your discription,yes I would do some dives on it.It's just the outer cover.There is still some mesh wire and a heavy rubber hose underneath it.
Would I buy it like that....NO WAY

Fair enough; I have to own the fact that I didn't fully inspect it when I bought it. Lesson learned: my idea and someone else's idea of reconditioned don't always jive.

Back
Top Bottom