Trustfire TR-J1 review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The friction o-ring I was referring to was this:

Screenshot2012-05-16at55157AM.jpg

The other is for sealing.

While I think the ideal tool would be one that fits precisely onto the 4 mating surfaces inside the ring, it think any tool that gives good traction on the outside could be used.

Screenshot2012-05-16at61209AM.jpg

Ok, I think I now fully understand what happened. ( In otherwords, don't do what I did.... learn from my mistake )

When I removed the "crown" I actually removed it and the ring behind it leaving the lens and lens gasket completely loose. The water entered through the front of the flash flight.

So at this point I think the best outcome is it drys out and the switch works again.

Hi guys. First of all you should NEVER unscrew the tail cap part way while underwater. The design of the light is such that current flows through the body of the torch. IF you slightly nick the body and the tail cap current will flow between the two while in saltwater. This will cause the torch to become quickly corroded, discharge the battery (explode?) and possibly shock the holder.

It is true that the torch is in "standby" mode when switched to off. The torch consumes approximately 4ma per hour of standby. Unscrew the tail cap while traveling to keep it off, but under no circumstances should you leave it unscrewed part way while in salt water.

I've got on on order - will post a complete tear down once I get it.

Cheers,
David

Hi guys. First of all you should NEVER unscrew the tail cap part way while underwater. The design of the light is such that current flows through the body of the torch. IF you slightly nick the body and the tail cap current will flow between the two while in saltwater. This will cause the torch to become quickly corroded, discharge the battery (explode?) and possibly shock the holder.

It is true that the torch is in "standby" mode when switched to off. The torch consumes approximately 4ma per hour of standby. Unscrew the tail cap while traveling to keep it off, but under no circumstances should you leave it unscrewed part way while in salt water.

I've got on on order - will post a complete tear down once I get it.

Cheers,
David

How can a 3.7 volt battery give you a shock?

3.7v LiIon batteries can deliver 3-5 amps of current. The voltage is somewhat irrelevant. Try licking a 9V battery. The effect is similar.

I decided to give me light a "rice bath" last night. ( Heat rice in the oven until hot and then put the rice and light in a sealed container overnight to draw moisture out of the light. )

Success! All of the positions of the bezel ( low, med, high, strobe ) now work. Since I understand the cause of the leak (user stupidity) I feel comfortable taking it on a dive today. I'll let you know what I think of it.

Hi guys,
Can you post how long it can work in highest mode and which battery type you used

Lol. I guess you just can't be to careful. After all, a 9V will tickle you tongue!:D

...Still waiting on batteries for mine. Come on China Post!

Please stop with the thread jacking.

Back
Top Bottom