Trustfire TR-J1 review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The
TrustFire 3x CREE XML XM-L T6 is the same as the Trustfire TR-DF-003.
Tested to 150 ft without failure. The light is EXTREMELY bright, but does have problem as in prior post.
To me the brightness outweighs the hassle, and I was able to order from China for <$90, including charger, two batteries, 4 extra o-rings and two 26650 li-ion batteries.

The twist switch is tight and somewhat hard to turn, but it has 4 o-rings.

The
TrustFire 3x CREE XML XM-L T6 is the same as the Trustfire TR-DF-003.
Tested to 150 ft without failure. The light is EXTREMELY bright, but does have problem as in prior post.
To me the brightness outweighs the hassle, and I was able to order from China for <$90, including charger, two batteries, 4 extra o-rings and two 26650 li-ion batteries.

The twist switch is tight and somewhat hard to turn, but it has 4 o-rings.

Care to post link to light source? I want to order two of them.

There have been several posts regarding the df003 both here on SB and on CPF regarding anodization problems and eventual long term light failure. One reviewer (busterdog) posted videos where the light was bright indeed, but in subsequent youtube comments indicated that light output was later drastically reduced.

I still need new O-Rings.
I don't know how to measure them accurately and don't want to flood the torch due to misfitted O-Rings.

I would be very pleased if you could tell me the dimensions of the O-Rings. Are they all the same or do I have to buy different ones?

With kind regards and thanks in advance
Cosmo

Hello :)

I ordered a tr-j1 which arrived a view weeks ago. disappointingly, all o-rings are damaged. after reporting this fault to the seller, he sent me another one... again alle o-rings are damaged.
now i got two workings tr-j1 without o-rings.

it would be very nice if someone of yours could tell me the correct measurements and materials of the o-rings i have to buy as i dont have something to measure the rings accurately!

thanks in advance
Cosmo

To measure the O ring you measure the groove, then measure the internal of the O ring and also the thickness of the O ring. The internet has O ring charts and this will tell you the O ring number to ask for. If its the same torch as I have the O ring number is 019 nominal size 13/16" 0.801" ID, 0.07" thick (20.35mm ID 1.78mm thick)

I have the light. My light goes into a very dim mode when the switch is rotated to off. To completly turn light off I have to turn battery ompartment cover out 1/2 turn. Do you have this situation?

No to date mine work fine and I have 3 of them.

Did it work properly before? If it didn't, then maybe you can get in touch with the retailer you got it from. Otherwise, it might be a resistance problem. Though I've never noticed a faint glow from either of my lights, in the "off" mode, there still is a very small current drain (it really is a standby mode) thus necessitating the need to unscrew the battery compartment a bit prior to storage.

And another good review for the Tr J1 from my side:

Bought one in october and used it daily during a divetrip to SA. It performed great. Felt sturdy. Batteries lasted long enough, no leakage or anything. Other divers agreed that for such a low price its an awesome deal.
Maybe if you are using your divelight in situations where you really depend on your light for safety I would also buy a more expensive, more reliable one. I mean I never experienced any problems using it for looking under overhangs during daytime. But I wouldn't forgive myself if I got caught up in some cave without a light because I cheaped out on a torch my life depended on.

Unfortunately my idiot-divebuddy dropped it over 60m+ of water:(. But i liked it so much I just ordered a new one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom