Try Barracuda

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe R.

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Cozumel with my wife in Feb.! Love it. Try 'Dive Cozumel,Costa Mayan Charters.' The operator is DIR,iantd,padi+ and will tailor the dive to your liking. He goes places others won't but will be glad to visit the regular dive spots. We did Barracuda (fast current) and had a flight of eagle rays pass overhead! We were at 70+' on the edge of a blue/black dropoff.

Ditto!

I dove Barracuda with Dive Paradise and it was fantastic! We had a huge sea turtle doing acrobatics in the current and a suprise visit from a reef shark bursting out of a hole straight at us.

The Eagle Rays must have been a show stopper!

Also try the opposite end of the Island and dive Maracabo deep if you get the chance. :wink:

I´ve got a few exciting dives scheduled for some of our repeat guests this week:

I´ve got a "seahorse & turtle" night dive for Monday night. (two of my guests did the dive tonight and came back beaming!!! They said they saw 4 seahorses!!! ... no turtles though...)

Then, I´ve got the next day, Tuesday scheduled for "Cantaray". I believe that is what the site is called. It is south of Barracuda and north of San Juan. That is where the dive shops take people to see what you saw, the spectacular 15-25 eagle ray formations "flying" by. I can´t wait!!! Only, how is the dive if we don´t see the eagle rays???

achu

You no doubt know how secretive some operators are about marine life sightings. I guess they figure if you want to see it you have to go with them. I've been to Barracuda just twice and only saw the 'flights' of eagle rays the second time. But there is lots to see. Big cuda,groopers etc. We do a drift dive and use the halcyon lift bags to hang and be spotted. You have to admit the current there can be super. Can't wait to see it again.

Hi achu,

I believe that site is "Cantarell," Spanish pronuciation, "Cantaray." This is a little known site, and I believe it's actually just a bit south of San Juan, although not absolutely positive. Last time I did it, I saw no rays, but I did see very large free-swimming green morays, many turtles & scads of pristine reef. In a ripping current, you can see lots of it on a tank. I thought it memorable.

Let me know how it was.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom