Trying Scuba Again After a Not-So-Great Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quero and Wineaux:

Really appreciate both of your posts, as well as those of everyone else who's chimed in. I'm scheduled to pick up all my reading materials next week and will start the classroom portion shortly thereafter. I'm feeling more positive about it than I was before, thanks to you all, and I'm hoping to come back with a good report. I've told the instructor about my experiences so far, and he's said that (obviously) we can take some time at the outset to try and work through the issues before we get to the skills.

Took a look at the website for the quarry where we'll be doing my check dives, and it looks pretty exciting (from the perspective of a true newbie!) -- can't wait to get in the game!

Just finished up my first afternoon in the pool (Confined Dives 1, 2, and first half of 3). I survived and loved it (well, I didn't love the no-mask breathing and mask clearing exercises, but I survived just fine!)

Will report back on how the rest of training goes.

THANK YOU to all who provided insights :)

Congrats on making it through the pool sessions :cool2:

When I started my OW class in 2003, I had the same issues. I freaked out in the shallow water when I had to partially flood the mask. I seriously thought about quiting, and I've never quit at anything. Luckily, my Instructor was patient, and separated me from the rest of the class to work on my issues. I was on the "short bus" for dive training - LOL. When I did my OW dives in Mexico (referral pkg), I told my instructor about my anxieties, and when we did the mask clearing/removal in the ocean at 50', she held on to my shoulder strap. This gave me the reassurance that I was safe while I had my eyes closed due to the salt water. She tapped on my lens to let me know when it was clear. I was SOOOOO relieved when it was all over and she shook my hand.

What worked for me in overcoming my anxiety, like all others have said, practice and patience. Try to stay calm and trust your training. One tip I might be able to give you is to pay attention to where your exhaust bubbles are going (by feel, not sight). If your bubbles are going up your face, and by your nose, this can be discomforting. Try tilting your head to one side a little to keep the bubbles off your face. This trick has helped me a great deal. Even to this day, there's still a small bit of anxiety when removing the mask for the first time, so I make it a point to remove/clear at the beginning of each dive so that I get that out of the way.

Good Luck on the rest of your training. I'm sure you'll do fine. Keep us posted.

Oh yeah, I'm jealous of your training location. See my avatar for what I'm normally diving in. :wink:

Oh yeah, I'm jealous of your training location. See my avatar for what I'm normally diving in. :wink:

Kenosha? I'm actually up in Milwaukee, and I did my Open Water dives today at Pearl Lake. Heading to Australia later this month on vacation, and it's going to be awesome.

Everything worked out very well -- patient instructor, and I was calm throughout. Removing my mask isn't my favorite thing, but it's really no big deal.

Thanks to all who provided comments and insights!

Thank you all so much for the quick replies. Before I start the class, I'm going to head down the pool in my building and play around with my snorkel and mask. Sure, folks will think I'm crazy, but so what? :)

Always appreciate of more thoughts/comments if folks have them.

I had a panic experience a couple years ago that shook me up quite a bit. I was (and still am) working on my doctorate in clinical psych, so I had a hard time wrapping my brain around the fact that I panicked. Some people will tell you not to think about it, it's in the past, blah, blah, but the harder you try and push something out of your mind, the more likely you are going to think about it. Going to play around with your mask/snorkel in the pool is the BEST thing you can do!!! :) Expose yourself to as similar conditions you previously experienced and will likely experience, so that you can process them and react appropriately. Re-familiarize yourself with the sounds, sensations, etc. If you start to get anxious or panicky, sit with it until it goes away and think about what crossed your mind prior to, during, and after, along with the physiological aspects. Becoming in tune with your body is super important not just for diving, but for anything we do. Listen to it. So yea, that's what I do before I dive if I have't been in the water for a while, and I'm sure I look hysterical to others. I could care less...haha! Also, try not to force or fool yourself into doing something because you spent a lot of money on it because then it becomes more of a chore rather than a hobby. Of course, during training there is more rigidity that you can't escape but so much, but kinda like law school, it'll all be worth it in the end! Lastly, get comfortable with saying you don't feel comfortable, and get comfortable with feeling uncomfortable and rolling with it. We have this perception that not feeling comfortable 100% of the time is unacceptable, which is living in a fantasy world. Ignoring discomfort doesn't solve anything; acknowledging, accepting, and adapting to it, which is exactly what you are doing, is key, so you're golden!! :)

---------- Post added August 25th, 2013 at 07:42 PM ----------

well, i totally should have read to the end...lol :) glad everything worked out!! have a blast in aussie land!

I can completely sympathize with this thread. I recently had similar experience that took me COMPLETELY by surprise. I went to a Scuba summer camp on Catalina Island when I was a teenager for a couple of years. Being a 3-week summer camp with 8 or so dives a week, we had time on our hands so our training was SUPER thorough and after basic certification all the dives we did just kept building on our skills - there was no such thing as a "recreational" dive. I logged 40 or 50 dives including all sorts of specialties - night diving, deep diving, wreck diving, navigation, photography, etc. etc. etc. By the time I was 16 I was a pretty experienced diver with a ton of training. If anyone reading this has kids you should check this out. It was an amazing experience and incredibly educational - surface intervals are filled with courses on marine biology, conservation, sailing, etc. It's been 25 years or so since I was there but the pictures and descriptions on their website make it sound pretty much exactly the same today as then. Catalina Sea Camp - Marine Biology and Island Adventure Camp for Teens.

When I was 14 on my first dive (there was no pool - they just pushed us off the side of the dock!) after that first having to force myself to take a breath underwater I took to it like the proverbial fish to water. I had no problems at all and was COMPLETELY comfortable underwater. I thought it was the best feeling I had ever experienced. I LOVED it.

Fast forward a couple of decades of no diving and I have a son who is 12 and an upcoming trip with Scuba opportunities and it's time for him to get certified. I'd long since misplaced my PADI card and dive log (I'm certain they're buried somewhere in my Mom's house) and obviously extremely rusty so I took the course with him.

I remembered most of it and skills like buoyancy and mask clearing were no problem whatsoever. But I hadn't counted on an anxiety issue - especially around my breathing - that had snuck up on me. The signs were there - I get weirded out when concentrating on my breathing for Yoga and I had to bail out of an MRI tube due to claustrophobia last fall - but hey, Scuba's one of the highlights of my life and one of the greatest feelings in the world, right? Well, I kneeled down in 4.5 feet of water and lasted about a minute before I had to bail out, extremely shaken. No mask clearing or anything else. Just felt smothered. We had three nights of pool work and I had to skip the first completely. After I expected it I was able to get myself together on subsequent nights but still a bit of a struggle.

I'm working with a doctor now on my anxiety issue - it's more generalized than just Scuba and I'm not going to let it keep me from the things I love. I can do it now but I'm still not 100% comfortable or relaxed. I really enjoyed our open-water check-out dives this last weekend at Blue Hole in New Mexico and we did a couple of dives on our own after the checkout dives. I really had fun but it was still very stressful. I was sloppy in my technique due to the distraction of worrying about my breathing and sucked down air at a prodigious rate!

I can offer two tips:

1) Distractions. This is key for me. In certification classes I had the most struggle while I was sitting there waiting for the instructor to work with other students. I look at my gauges, play with my buoyancy, try to fix a wrinkle in my suit, anything. We brought a GoPro to blue hole so I'd mess with it's settings while waiting around.

2) Bach Rescue Remedy available at any health-food store (Sprouts, Vitamin Cottage, Whole Wallet, etc.) does wonders for minor anxiety with absolutely zero side-effects. Obviously try it on yourself before you take it diving, but it's a homeopathic remedy I've never known anyone to have any sort of adverse reaction. Most people do report that it takes the edge off. Don't expect too much it's not like taking a Xanax or anything (which is why I think it's safe for diving). Just a little help.

Chris

Kenosha? I'm actually up in Milwaukee, and I did my Open Water dives today at Pearl Lake. Heading to Australia later this month on vacation, and it's going to be awesome.

Everything worked out very well -- patient instructor, and I was calm throughout. Removing my mask isn't my favorite thing, but it's really no big deal.

Thanks to all who provided comments and insights!
Glad to hear everything went well. Milwaukee, huh? Small world :cool2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom