Trying to get on an NC charter this weekend 7/22

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kabluton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Aquasafaris in Wilmington is booked but I may head to the coast anyway. Anyone have any suggestions about other good operations or anyone going out privately that may want another diver? I got nothing but time on my hands at the moment and want to get in the water.

Keith

try olympus in morehead (252 726 9432), or discovery in beaufort (# not in pda but they have a website).

If you're headed to the Wilmington area, you might want to try a newer operator called Cape Fear Divers in Carolina Beach. http://capefeardivers.com/

Let us know how the diving is if you do find a trip.

Rich

fishguts:
I would try www.coastalscuba.com and www.capefeardivers.com I have never been with Cape Fear, but plan on trying them this week.

If you are headed to South Carolina I would go with Dolphin Dive Charter http://www.dolphindivecharter.com/ Captain Tuck is Awesome, he only runs 1 trip a day so there is no rush, he lets you determine your own dive profile and won't dump you in a spot that has bad vis or conditions. He is the only operator I will use.

I have been wanting to try Cape Fear divers, but have not done so yet, after chatting with the Captain over email, it sounds like he runs a good operation.

Yes I am a very picky diver and not afraid to admit it. Diving is far too expensive to be rushed and be told how long your dives can be simply so the boat can get back for more people. :D

fireflock:
If you're headed to the Wilmington area, you might want to try a newer operator called Cape Fear Divers in Carolina Beach. http://capefeardivers.com/

Let us know how the diving is if you do find a trip.

Rich

I ended up getting on a boat for Saturday and Sunday through Capefear Divers. Gypsy Divers out of Raleigh was kind enough to let me crash their party. I met a bunch of great people and overall had a good time with the exception of the dives being called on Sunday due to conditions. We did Frying Pan Tower on Saturday and the current was ripping with flat seas and had 2 pretty good dives. We actually lost the owner of the boat in the current and a fishing boat had to go pick him up.

Sunday we were scheduled to go to the Hyde and Markham. About an hour out the boat suddenly stopped and apparently the decision was made to call dives. Everyone on board was very experienced and I really couldn't understand why this decision was made. The swells were 4 to 5 feet and it was mentioned that they were afraid people would get hurt getting back in the boat. A few of us talked amongst ourselves and felt it was a bad call. I asked the boat owner, Jim, about the refund policy and was shocked to find out I was getting NO money back. So essentially I paid over $100 for a 2 hour boat ride and 2 Nitrox fills from them that I didnt use. I don't agree with this but decided not to argue the point. Jim did say that he would help me out on a future dive but really don't feel that I will use Cape Fear again because of this policy. I feel I was entitled to at least half my money back since I didn't make the call not to dive.

Several other people on the boat were also disappointed with this operation and told me that Discovery out of Beaufort was much better and they would likely not use Cape Fear again. Word of mouth is a killer in this business and you gotta leave your customers happy. I really feel like Jim could have done more to make this right but that is his decision and if he is willing to live with the consequences (unhappy customers), so be it.

kabluton:
Sunday we were scheduled to go to the Hyde and Markham. About an hour out the boat suddenly stopped and apparently the decision was made to call dives. Everyone on board was very experienced and I really couldn't understand why this decision was made. The swells were 4 to 5 feet and it was mentioned that they were afraid people would get hurt getting back in the boat. A few of us talked amongst ourselves and felt it was a bad call. I asked the boat owner, Jim, about the refund policy and was shocked to find out I was getting NO money back. So essentially I paid over $100 for a 2 hour boat ride and 2 Nitrox fills from them that I didnt use. I don't agree with this but decided not to argue the point. Jim did say that he would help me out on a future dive but really don't feel that I will use Cape Fear again because of this policy. I feel I was entitled to at least half my money back since I didn't make the call not to dive.

Thanks for the report. Something does not sound quite right. Did they offer to take you to a closer site (since you were an hour out anyway, maybe at least the Liberty Ship)? Maybe a trip leader from Gypsy (not someone from Cape Fear Divers) decided to call the trip?

If there is one shop in NC that I would go out of my way not to piss off, it would be Gypsy Divers. It's rare to be talking with a group of NC divers and not find at least one diver who has some association with that shop.

Maybe Jim will chime in with some reasoning and/or another perspective.

I hope the Frying Pan tower dives were worth the trip.

Rich

Thanks for the heads up on Cape Fear Divers kabluton.

Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom