trying to reduce body fat - stuck in a rut

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I spoke with an exercise physiologist who said that his masters research indicated that the body can't absorb more than 400 calories at one time - anything over that and it converts to fat - not sure how accurate that is, but I have been following tat guideline and so far seems to be working. Add to that drinking ice cold water - which is said to burn calories to bring it to body temperature, who knows...

5ata:
I spoke with an exercise physiologist who said that his masters research indicated that the body can't absorb more than 400 calories at one time - anything over that and it converts to fat - not sure how accurate that is, but I have been following tat guideline and so far seems to be working. Add to that drinking ice cold water - which is said to burn calories to bring it to body temperature, who knows...

Sounds iffy. At what institution was he doing his research?

Try NOT drinking for 2 weeks and see what kind of difference it makes.

and...right, because we should be more like the French? I don' t think so.

~Marlinspike

Alcohol (especially wine) is huge in calories. I am always with the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid). Lose weight = less calories in than going out. Making more calories go out takes loads of cardio - it's the only thing that's going to burn the fat with any efficiency abd effectiveness. If you want to take 1/2 your calories a day in wine, that's great, but you're never going to lose weight. 6 oz. of red wine is 150 calories and 6.5 g carbohydrates. My understanding is that sugar alcohol is not any good for you either. As an aside, my Dad's version is "if a glass of wine is good for your heart, just imagine how good a whole bottle is!" Ha!

Don't get me wrong - I don't have wine everyday, but there are times when it just plain tastes good! Oh to have a sensitive pallet for food and wine..

The great thing about this software I am using is it shows where calories are going and it gives you an NQ - Nutritional Quotient so if you are in an area that isn't the best, it states it. Like last night - no wine - didn't feel like having it, but that doesn't mean I have to go without it - just have to make a conscious choice if that is what I want or don't want. That way - one owns the full decision of having or not having - and have no one to blame if the weight doesn't come off. :D

Marlinspike:
Sounds iffy. At what institution was he doing his research?

Try NOT drinking for 2 weeks and see what kind of difference it makes.

and...right, because we should be more like the French? I don' t think so.

~Marlinspike

ROFL...

Unversity of Oregon I believe...

I have reduced dramtically the amount of alcohol I consume and it has made a difference already..

Be like the french - no, but they have a passion for freediving that is unlike anything I have seen elsewhere except in Italy. If we here in the US only had the perspective they have for freediving, we would be serious world contenders... :shakehead

5ata:
ROFL...
If we here in the US only had the perspective they have for freediving, we would be serious world contenders... :shakehead

Its kinda like soccer. We might get good at it and improve with time, but the fervor and passion will take a long, long time to develop.

~Marlinspike

Marlinspike:
Its kinda like soccer. We might get good at it and improve with time, but the fervor and passion will take a long, long time to develop.

~Marlinspike

So very true!!!

here's the latest since starting this thread - I have dropped 7 pounds already - the dynamic apnea training for about 55 minutes in the pool seems to be working along with keeping a detailed log of what I eat and the number of calories being consumed via the DietPower software. Seems as though I really am burning more calories than I am taking in. Am actually feeling like I am eating alot more, yet am losing weight pretty quick.

Freedive training is really doing me a lot of good - not sure if I'll ever do any more scuba...

Took 2 days off from training - think I was overdoing it - Woke today to go back at it - didn't gain any additional weight with the 2 days off, so I'm feeling pretty good about it. My girlfriend has commented that I look skinnier.. :D

So I'm back at the pool again today to pick up where I left off..

My goal is to hit 195 before the end of the summer and so far, I'm already 1/3 the way there.. I keep up the fat loss and I'll be there maybe by the end of the month.

Then I hope to reassess and see if I can lose the other 10 pounds of fat (My REAL goal is 185).

I am a track and cross country runner so I do know what I am talking about. All that stuff about cutting out the meat and everything is not the right thing to do (no offense). They key is to train every day of the week mabye allowing for a day off here and there for rest. Since you are diving you don't need the speed training, what you NEED is to run for milage. Go out every day and run continuously starting at 30 mins for a week and incresing it by 10 minutes every week. You should also be taking Vitamin and caulcium supplements to avoid hip, ankle, and shin problems. Keep in mind with training that two days of inactivity will severly effect you when you go back to it. Don't only run though since diving is all swimming got to th pool and swim laps for at least one or two of those days of the week. This works muscles that arent exercised with running. If you are wieght lifting to bulk up you should consider stepping beck a little you want functional mass. Do situps every day. When you are out of energy the strength to keep going comes from your core.

As far as diet goes you shouldn't be limiting your calories that much it can be detrimental. During training you shouldnt be counting calories that much (I eat 2500-3000 at least). Cut all the sweets and greasy foods from your diet. Alcohol won't do you any good either!!!! After you work out you should be getting a healthy amount of protein. Try to limit the fats and carbs somewhat but DON'T cut them out your body needs these when you are training. You cant starve yourself when your follow a good training schedule, you will get to the point that you will injure yourself, then your screwed. With this method I kept my weight steady at 163, dropped almost 10% body fat, and built lots of funtional muscle mass, all in 3 months or so. This is not totally my idea, this was taught to my team by two coaches. One that was a national class runner and the other has been coaching a champion team for over a decade!

Good luck with the training. Keep in mind that if anything starts to hurt don' tjust block the pain with meds, use ice and some rest. Oh, and if you take calcium supplements your body can only process about 700 milligrams a day so don't crazy.
Bottom line don't listen to the people that say cut the calories. The average body uses 1000 to 1500 a day just to perform life-sustaining functions and average day to day activities (not including work or exercise). If you have any questions send a PM. Good Luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom