TTL/preflash with Canon SD750 Point and Shoot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guggie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a Canon SD750 P&S with a Canon housing. In an effort to improve lighting and eliminate backscatter, I've been considering an external strobe. Three units I've looked at are the Sealife Digital Proflash SL961 and the Sea and Sea YS-01 and YS-02.

I've received different answers from company reps when asked about TTL function with my Canon SD750. The Ys-02 doesn't support this feature and it would be possible to save a few $.

The Sealife rep said that almost all cameras do TTL. I'm familiar with my old Olympus OM-2n that regulated the flash with an attached electric cable by measuring the light at the film surface and reducing the flash duration appropriately. How would that work with a fiber-optic connection to my housing? I suspect it wouldn't. Also, after some experimentation and reading, I've determined that the camera does appear to preflash and regulate the intensity of its built in strobe according to the distance to the subject. Would I set the Sealife to a "preflash cancel" mode and TTL or simply preflash cancel mode and it would be up to me to adjust the output of the strobe manually?

Similar questions would apply to the the Sea and Sea models. Clearly, the YS-02 is cheaper than the YS-01 and other than upgradability, it may be sufficient for my needs, though a lot more money that the Sealife, especially when you consider the need to purchase the fiberoptic cable and tray/arm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom