Tuesday's (6/8) Maui pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have a reef here call 5" Reef and I remember it was said in the dive briefing that the amo is live....But what do I know...lol

Dee:
Just wondering. I've heard of some of the shells found from WWII exploding after folks got them home.

Dee, I'm not sure about the stuff underwater, but ordnance found on any of the N. Mariana Islands still packs a charge in many cases. Every few months the authorities will collect the stuff around Saipan and blow it up (they'll first do a small pre-explosion to scare off birds).

Weren't there some divers from Australia who got busted by airport screeners in the South Pacific after they tried taking home shells they recovered from WWII wrecks? I think it was in Vanuatu or New Caledonia and the shells showed up on the xray machines. What were they thinking????? But at least the screeners caught it before loading into the hold.

Very nice find!

I've been away for awhile but everytime I come back I look forward to looking at your pictures.

I would not collect any large ordnance that could explode. These are bullets that basically require you to hit the primer on the rear of the shell casing to fire them.
I had a friend open one of these on a work bench and the powder was still dry.

I can hear it now....60 years ago......"Dang it, I just dropped a load of ammo overboard!" Everytime I see something like that, I think back about what it was like when 'it' happened. Amazing stuff and nice pics.

Bullets are much different than large ordnance, like that used in cannon type mechaisms or ship's large guns. Bullets are propelled by a gunpowder that does not explode, but rather burns rapidly, very rapidly. When the projectile strikes an object, the damage is done by the projectile. In large ordnance the projectile carries an explosive charge which detonates, which ultimately causing the damage.

Bullets are quite safe to handle, as long as you don't strike the primer on the end.

Military ammunition is sealed around the primer and around the bullet, the only two possible points of entry for water. Since they are sealed, they could very well remain live for years, at least until the case corrodes through and water contaminates the propellent.

The case is likely made of brass, although some steel casings are known to have been used. I do not know how long it would take for brass to corrode through in saltwater.

Very interesting 10x. What kind of force would be needed to trigger the bullets? i.e. dropping it on the primer wouldn't trigger it?

From the pictures, I would say these are brass shells. If it were me, I would open and dump the powder from any of the shells I recovered, then replace the bullet. Nice find.

Those are excellent shots....how deep were they at?? and you take some really awesome shots. Now do you dive everyday for the fun of it or is it for work?? and can i come and join you, cause i'm jeolous! thanks for sharing

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom