Tufi Resort in PNG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frogfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I met some people recently who had been there and raved about it (actually they apparently enjoyed the resort & diving more than Walindi). Anybody on the board has any feedback as to the quality of the diving ?

frogfish:
I met some people recently who had been there and raved about it (actually they apparently enjoyed the resort & diving more than Walindi). Anybody on the board has any feedback as to the quality of the diving ?

I was on a charter which put in at Tufi for re-supply.

Tufi is the former district capital, and was home to the district commissioner during the colonial days. It's situated on the mouth of a large fjord and the resort is up on the headland. The scenery is pretty spectacular. I gather the resort is low-key and has been developed along eco lines. There's not much to do there, other than dive.

From what I recall, the diving operation hasn't been up and running for all that long.

We did several dives in the area. What you can expect is spectacular pristine coral and great marine life.

There's also muck diving under the wharf, if you're into that.

You can also access "S'Jacob" and "Blackjack" from there - 2 of the finest wrecks in the world.

S'Jacob is a Dutch freighter, seconded by the allies, and sunk by the Japs during WW2. It's upright and pretty much intact. It's a great wreck, but a pretty big dive, at about 45 metres.

Blackjack is a B17 which ran out of fuel on the way back from a bombing run on Rabaul. It put down about 300 metres offshore. Landed intact on the water, crew got out safely, sunk, and sits upright in ~ 40 metres, fully intact. One of the great wreck dives in the world. (And rated among my top five ever.)

I've never been to Walindi, but from what I've heard, Tufi is at least as good, probably better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom