Tunnels for newer diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maggersmagoo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm going to be in Kauai in 2 weeks (yippee!) I am recently certified (earlier this year), and I am looking to do some shore dives while in Kauai. I am interested in both Koloa Landing and Tunnels.

My plan right now, because it will be the most convenient for my schedule, is to dive Tunnels, and snorkel Koloa (my partner does not dive). I wanted some opinions as to whether Tunnels is an ok dive for such a new diver. I am comfortable in the water, and think my buoyancy control is good, but I don't want to get in over my head.

I'm planning to dive with Fathom Five, and of course I will talk to them about my experience level, and get their opinion. I just wanted to get some more objective opinions.

I guess if I had to I could dive both (what a hardship right?), maybe do Koloa first to brush up on the skills, then do Tunnels the next day.

Any opinions appreciated.

There can be quite a bit of surge there, and it is technicaly a cavern dive. You should be very comfortable with your skill set at that dive site.

Think of it this way.. Can you save yourself if something goes wrong and you cant go up. You need to be able to answer that if you go in an overhead.

Ok, please forgive what may sound like a stupid question. I realize it is called "tunnels". Is there no way to dive there without actually entering caves? Or is it just pointless? It's hard to picture the environment from the descriptions I have read.

Sorry I cant help ya there. But its not a stupid question if it keeps you safe.

Ok, please forgive what may sound like a stupid question. I realize it is called "tunnels". Is there no way to dive there without actually entering caves? Or is it just pointless? It's hard to picture the environment from the descriptions I have read.
It would not be much of a dive without exploring the lava tubes.

That last post seems to hit the nail on the head. If it is not much of a dive without the tubes I;d find another spot. New diver, no overhead training, lava tubes? Darwin is rubbing his hands over that.

Tunnels can certainly be dove without entering the lava tubes. Dozens of introductory divers are there M-F every week. The highlight is certainly the lava tubes though. While some are extensive - there are several that are short arches that are very easily navigated and don't deny surface accessibility for more than 5-10 feet. I have been diving hundreds of times at the site so I do have a fair amount of knowledge about this spot. The outer reef has a turtle cleaning station that is accessible for snorkelers and divers alike. On the whole I have always explained tunnels as a "topography dive." You should not go into the experience expecting to be blown away by the critters. The lava tubes themselves are so heavily traveled that many instructors here refer to them as the lifeless lava tubes of the north shore! They are nothing like Cathedrals in Maui or Sheraton Caverns here on Kauai. Visibility is also typically very low there for what you generally see in the islands. Average vis' is far lower than what you will see at Koloa Landing (Which is absolutely loaded with amazing marine critters).

The most important consideration with Tunnels is that you DO NOT attempt to explore this site without a guide (ESPECIALLY IF YOU PLAN TO DO THE TUBES). Tunnels can also have VERY strong current especially as the day goes on.

All this being said Tunnels can be a very enjoyable dive with an experienced guide that knows which tubes to explore based on the desires/experience level of his or her divers. An experienced guide can also avoid currents that can make for a less than enjoyable dive.

DM's do take new divers through the tubes all the time and it should not be thought of as something to avoid as "dangerous." AT THE SAME TIME NEVER HESITATE FOR A SECOND TO DIVE AT THE LEVEL YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH. Communicate your feelings with the DM/Shop that you choose to dive with and you will be very well taken care of. As it sounds you are looking into Fathom Five - you should request Jeanette as your leader. She has an unmatched love for Tunnels and more experience there than any leader on the island.

Hope this helps.

p.s. If you really want to be blown away by an incredible critter dive try to fit in at least one morning of scuba at Koloa Landing.

A

What dates are you going to be there? I am going for my first trip to Kauai from the 8th to the 21st. I have a few boat dives booked but would love to do a few shore dives also.

I decided on Koloa over Tunnels, as I am more interested in critters than topography. I have the following dives booked:

Koloa Landing with Fathom Five/Ocean Quest
Molokini Crater with Dive and Sea

I will try to get in a Black Rock dive with the Sheraton. Will get in some snorkeling as well. I leave for Kauai in a week, can't wait!

Back
Top Bottom